Author Topic: You can only have 6 powders for everything. What are they?  (Read 15229 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
You can only have 6 powders for everything. What are they?
« on: September 03, 2016, 08:05:27 PM »
Dang ATF and the nitrocellulose issue.  I am concerned the issue comes back unannounced and then powder prices will go through the roof.  What I know about reloading is not a lot and when it comes to powders I can look at charts and such, but actual experience from you guys trumps what I know by a mile.

I hope I am wrong about future availability of gun powder but better safe then sorry. 

Performance and interchangeability are the biggest factors here with cost dragging up the tail end of considerations. 

So if you could only have  6 powders  on hand what would you keep?  You know where I'm going with this to be supplied in the future when there may be no "cheap" powder. 

How about a two shotgun powders?  Something for buckshot and slugs and then something for squirrel/rabbit/bird hunting.

And how about two pistol powders that will work with:
  • 9 MM
  • 40 S&W/10MM
  • 45 ACP
  • .357/38
  • 44 mag

And how about two rifle powders that will work with:
  • .223/5.56.220250
  • .243/.270/308/30-06
  • 30-30
  • 444 and 450 Marlin
  • 7MM Mag/ 300 Win Mag/7mm rem Ultral Mag
  • 50 BMG  Admittedly this may be a 3rd powder...I dunno

Now you guys being creative and such probably can cross platforms with several powders and then maybe I find out 6 total powders are not enough to load the ammo I have listed above.  I tried to group together what I think should be like applications but then..like I said, I dont' know much about reloading.

Thanks,
Ken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: You can only have 6 powders for everything. What are they?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 09:10:52 PM »
I like the cooler burning Winchester ball process powders for pistols... Win Super Field for 9mm and .40sw.... prefer Win Super Target for .45, but WSF will work... for magnum loads Win 296 or Hodgdon H110

I don't reload 5.56 any more but used Win 748 for 55, and Varget for 69SMK

can't help you on the larger calibers

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 07:16:21 AM »
Thank you for what you did help me with.  It's just a dang shame to have to think about stockpiling some on a possible future cost increase.  But then if I'm wrong, I hope to retire or something similar to that in a couple of years and reloading is definitely on the top ten list of routine past times.

So it's looking like WSF will work for pistols and Win 296 for magnum loads.  The Varget seems to cross a lot of platforms.

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 07:37:06 AM »
Interesting question, but how about reducing it to just 3 powders.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 08:02:28 AM »
Honestly I thought about that but I included two for shotguns.  Maybe you can get by with one for both bird shot and buckshot...I dunno.  And to my very limited knowledge, I doubt there are effective crossovers from the shotgun world to the pistol/rifle world. 

Which says, there are but 4 powders to pick for pistols and rifles...if I am surmising right about shotgun powder's inability to crossover.  So for this exercise in my mind it's going to be really tight to try to do everything with 4 powders but what do I know...not a lot.  Maybe it comes back you can do pistol/rifle with just 2 powders and do it better with 4.  Then of course maybe you can't and you need 6 or more pistol/rifle powders. 

I am fudging here, since in addition to the six powders I plan on having some Accurate #7 around just for reloading the 5.7 rounds.  You can use it for other things, but from what I know it does a good job in the 5.7. 

I wanted, initially, to keep this to just pistol and rifle juice but that would have been just wrong if somebody is thinking about shooting and hunting. 

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:47:59 AM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 11:17:13 AM »
Titegroup or Accurate #5 for pistols.

Varget for rifles.

Universal Clays shotgun powder can be used in some pistol rounds like 9mm, .38spl, and 45ACP.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 11:43:11 AM »
Titegroup or Accurate #5 for pistols.

Varget for rifles.

Universal Clays shotgun powder can be used in some pistol rounds like 9mm, .38spl, and 45ACP.

Switch out Bullseye for #5 and that's my short list all day long.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 01:07:05 PM »
The old standbys,these will work for most anything

Bullseye
Red Dot
Unique
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

bulldog75

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 02:02:22 PM »
PB and Trail Boss.
Citizens sleep peacfully at night knowing that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 05:02:57 PM »
Wow.  Those were some emphatic replies.

Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk