Author Topic: Quiet 22LR Ammo -- What do you use?  (Read 3230 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Quiet 22LR Ammo -- What do you use?
« on: August 21, 2016, 08:53:00 AM »
I'm using the CCI Quiet-22 Segmented hollow point. 

I drifted through a few different ones, and I don't have an exact test on accuracy.  However, at the ranges I shoot this does well on hitting what I aim at.

Two big reasons for using it:
1)  Segmented bullet.  I can say wow to that.  It's devastating on the game I've taken with it.  The opossum eating my cantaloupe found out last night. 
2)  Copper coated bullet.  Keeps the can cleaner by using something that isn't pure lead.  Also keeps the hands cleaner, etc.

They also sell this bullet in a higher velocity version I like.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
Re: Quiet 22LR Ammo -- What do you use?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 11:05:26 AM »
I know I could look this up on my own, but ... why?

What is the muzzle velocity on this round?  Does the segmented direct the mushroom, or does it break apart?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 12:39:11 PM »
For real quiet of course there are .22 CBs.  But you give up a lot of power. 

.22 Shorts are next.

Neither of course will operate the action of a .22lr semi-auto.  But from a bolt they're both pretty quiet.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 01:59:56 PM »
I know I could look this up on my own, but ... why?

What is the muzzle velocity on this round?  Does the segmented direct the mushroom, or does it break apart?

710 fps

Breaks apart and mushrooms.  Wicked effective on what I've used it on.

For real quiet of course there are .22 CBs.  But you give up a lot of power. 

.22 Shorts are next.

Neither of course will operate the action of a .22lr semi-auto.  But from a bolt they're both pretty quiet.

I have the CB's and they are as quiet as using my can out of a 24" barrel.  But..I'm concerned about their stability and impacting the suppressor.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 02:35:11 PM »
If you want subsonic you should try some Aguila SSS Sniper SubSonic ammo. It's a 60 grain lead round nose that hits harder than any other subsonic ammo I know of. It has a muzzle velocity of 950 fps and 120 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy. It has more energy at 100 yards than a typical subsonic at the muzzle. It supposedly shoots very accurate out of a faster 1:9" twist barrel that's available for Ruger 10/22s. Any other .22 I guess you take what you get for accuracy. http://www.aguilaammo.com/rimfire/
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:35:48 AM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 02:59:06 PM »
Used the sss for years for pest destruction.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 06:46:49 AM »
AAC said not to use the SSS with the Pilot can I got.  The concern was that it would strike the baffles.  I have some of it but I didn't get good accuracy with it past about 65 feet.  I'll have to check my barrel twist.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 10:32:30 PM »
E. Arthur Brown sells a lot of 10/22 accessories including barrels. They have both threaded and non-threaded barrels with a 1:9" twist. The standard barrel twist rate is 1:16". If I wanted the accuracy that SSS is capable of I'd get one but I only bought a box of ammo for plinking. I shoot mostly high velocity and hyper velocity loads.
http://www.eabco.net/Threaded-Subsonic-1022-Accuracy-Barrel-Blue_p_14069.html
http://www.eabco.net/Ruger-1022-Fast-Twist-Subsonic-Barrel-Blue_p_13706.html
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk