Author Topic: Drying Some .223 / 5.56 MM Brass  (Read 9946 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Drying Some .223 / 5.56 MM Brass
« on: August 02, 2016, 12:50:11 PM »
This is a bunch of range pickup brass I collected on my last visit to my club range. It was all once fired laying everywhere. There was more, but my back was getting sore from bending over to pick it up. The stuff was dusty inside and out. So I put it in a few of those zippered mesh bags. (The kind women wash their bras and panties in). Then I soaked it in a couple of 5 gallon pails of hot water for about an hour.

After that I rinsed them with the hose, then spread them out as you see here with a fan on them. It will hit about 105F this afternoon. So by tomorrow morning they be dry inside and out. Then I'll full length resize and deprime them. After that they'll get run through my Giraud Powered Case Trimmer. Lastly I'll give them a good polishing, then through the Dillon they'll go.

I try to keep my range visits to Monday mornings early. There is usually a ton of .223 and 9 MM laying around from all of the weekend shooters free for the picking. So many of these guys don't reload, and just leave perfectly good once fired brass just sitting there. It sticks out like a sore thumb it's so shiny. Sometimes I'll find other calibers as well. It just depends on what they leave. Last year I found about 250 rounds of once fired 8 MM Mauser. It was all Prvi Partizan brass. Good stuff. I haven't bought any brass since I retired. And I sure am not going to spend $7.00 a box on .223 when I can reload this stuff for pennies.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Drying Some .223 / 5.56 MM Brass
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 02:22:07 PM »
For some help picking up that free brass, check this out 

Brass Wizard

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1310

I'm on a roll!!  Thanks again, Afl

What does it take to get a valid YouTube link?

The video is at the first link

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 04:06:24 PM »
For some help picking up that free brass, check this out 

Brass Wizard

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1310

What does it take to get a valid YouTube link?

The video is at the first link

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 04:14:12 PM »
We have used a picker from the folks at Bag-A-Nut out of Jacksonville for over twenty years to pick up pecans....they also have a division called Ammo-Up that makes units for gathering up spent ammo casings.

This is a hand unit that is on sale for $60.

http://www.ammoupusa.com/compact

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 04:45:28 PM »
Nice find!  I have lucked out a couple times a while back.  Our outdoor range was used by LEO's for qualification and practice.  A couple times we got there just after they had left.  Woops,  they were nice enough to police the brass and even nicer to leave it sit there  Hundreds of empty brass for the taking.

Richard 
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:38:56 AM »

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 07:00:57 PM »
Our range is used by a lot of local LEO for qualifications and trianing.  One in particular still shoots 45, so I will get out to the range as they are closing up shop for the night. I may have to use Bill's Monday Morning tactic until I get a job though  ;)
He who dares wins.  SAS

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 01:32:58 AM »
I have used a final rinse, after the water bath of water, of denatured alcohol.
It's available at most paint suppliers.
I use large mouth mason jars, but most any kind of container will work.
Brass in the jar, fill container with enough alcohol, shake jar.
Using a large funnel, put a rag inside the funnel to stop any brass from going down the hole of the funnel.
Put the funnel into the can of alcohol.
Empty the alcohol from the jar back into the can of alcohol.
Put the brass on a rag outside, so the brass will dry.

That's what I do to help clean/dry the brass.
I usually will remove the primers with a RCBS de-priming die before cleaning brass because
any moisture trapped in the primer pocket will dry, and the brass usually will be clean, so my
dies don't get scratched up from dirt.

I like to have at least a thousand or more of each caliber brass resized and polished on hand
at all times.  I need to have food, firewood, and ammo on hand, in that order.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 06:33:41 AM »
I got started in reloading and specifically in .45ACP because of range brass.   I had Monday's off and went to a little local range early in the morning.  Seems like there was this DEA agent who would shoot a box of GI .45ACP every Sunday night.   He'd pick up his brass and leave it on the table along with the box.  When I got 1,000 rounds of brass I decided to reload it.  Then it dawned on me:  "Honey, I'm going to need a 1911 so I can shoot all these reloads."

A few years back I tried to start a USPSA indoor club.  We had about 10 matches and no one but me wanted the brass.   I've still got several buckets of it.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

vincewarde

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 01:37:25 PM »
Here's my typical treatment for brass:

For bottleneck brass:
1) Decap with Lee universal decapping die
2) If dirty, I wash in hot water with dish soap - then rinse with hot water.  Towel dry then set out on cookie sheets to air dry.
3) Resize
4) Wash as above to remove all traces of resizing lube
5) Run through viberatory cleaner to polish.
6) Prime for later loading

For for straight wall brass:
1) Decap with Lee universal decapping die
2) If dirty, I wash in hot water with dish soap - then rinse with hot water.  Towel dry then set out on cookie  sheets to air dry.
3) Run through viberatory cleaner to polish.
4) Prime for later loading on my Lee Loadmaster

The priming system on the Loadmaster is horrible, but if you prime off of the progressive press it works great.  I typically do this to handgun brass soon after firing and set them aside until I am ready to do a production run.

I have never had a problem with washing the brass.  You just have to give it time to dry.  I do always decap before washing in order to prevent any problems with the primer and to give the water another way to drain.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 04:13:36 PM »
This is my method for once fired brass.

1.) Soak, wash and rinse.

2.) Spread out on towel to air dry.

3.) Lube, resize, and deprime.

4.) Trim to length, and chamfer inside and out. (Giraud Power Case Trimmer does it all in one operation).

5.) Swage out crimped in primer pockets. (Dillon Super Swage 600).

6.) Tumble and polish. (Dillon FL-2000 using ground corn cob and Dillon Rapid Polish).

7.) Run through the Dillon progressive.

I use a decapping die in place of the resizing die. (They have already been resized). This assures the flash hole is clean and free of any polishing media. A decapping pin passes through the flash hole just before repriming.

Right now I'm not set up to do Stainless Steel Pin Media tumbling in high volume. All I've got is a Thumlers Tumbler with Stainless Steel Media. It does a fantastic job, making once fired brass look like never fired, brand new brass, both inside and out. But I need a bigger tumbler so I can do it in larger volume.

http://www.arrowheadlapidarysupply.com/catalog/item.php?unid=8734&prodpa=0

This is the tumbler I want. It has an 8 gallon barrel, and would be perfect for large volume Stainless Steel tumbling. It's just really hard to justify spending $722.00 on a tumbler. It is a commercial grade model used mainly for rock tumbling. It has a 65 pound capacity. That's a lot of water, pins, and brass.

I thought of going with a cheaper alternative. Like one of those small electric cement mixers from Harbor Freight. But I've heard they don't hold up to long hour usage. They're meant for small, occasional jobs. Not to be run for hours on end, like in a tumbling operation. And they're too big. I'd have to keep it on the back patio. Then your house starts looking like a hillbilly stronghold. (I would have to get a few junk cars to park in the front yard, and a couple of old washing machines).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk