Author Topic: Shooting A 12 Gauge Shell Behind A 20 Gauge In A 12 Gauge 870  (Read 3872 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Nowhere near the catastrophic results you might think.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Shooting A 12 Gauge Shell Behind A 20 Gauge In A 12 Gauge 870
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 01:39:42 PM »
870s are pretty tough.  I would hate.too see it in q upland.game gun...
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 08:46:41 AM »
Under the heading of "Your Mileage May Vary" this is a very dangerous video.  Regardless of what happened in their testing, it is dangerous and life threatening.  I would not want to be associated with this type of claim, regardless of his disclaimer at the beginning.

In our club supplies for Hunter Education and Firearm Safety, we have several barrels destroyed by obstructions.  One is from an 870, and the obstruction that blew it wide open for eight inches starting at the breech was a spider's nest.  We have one that was a 20 ga in front of a 12 gauge, and it took over half of the barrel off at the mid section and blew the magazine tube completely off the gun.

As gun guys, sorry Red and M'ette but you are just two of the guys, we are a weird bunch.  On one thread we will rip someone a new hole for slightly increasing a powder charge, then in another we will down play barrels obstructed by another live load.  We will promote and claim to carry and be ready in a thousand different ways, and then we will go all Sarah Brady when another gun person does not live 125% by firearm safety rules in handling and storage.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 08:58:08 AM »
I agree. My reason for posting this is because I, like most, would have bet the results would have been far worse. But as the video shows, not even a bulged barrel. I'm not saying, or even suggesting this is "safe". It's just not as deadly as I've been hearing for the last 50 years. Much the same with shooting 5.56 MM in a .223 chamber. A lot of this stuff gets way overblown from a danger standpoint because of the Internet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk