Author Topic: Walnut Grips Really Make A Difference !  (Read 11416 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
Re: Walnut Grips Really Make A Difference !
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 05:44:20 AM »
A lot of people cover their VIN. If you have the number you can get keys made for the car. At least that's what I always heard. As far as the serial number on a gun goes it's nobody's business. I don't like to advertise mine.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 07:48:39 AM »
A lot of people cover their VIN. If you have the number you can get keys made for the car. At least that's what I always heard. As far as the serial number on a gun goes it's nobody's business. I don't like to advertise mine.

Not the newer cars. But I get your point. I've just never seen the danger in anyone seeing it. (VIN or firearm serial#). If you stole either the gun or the car, that's obviously a different story. And as far as the newer cars, it's all but impossible to get keys made, because most of the vehicles that still use them have chips imbedded into them. The days of going to the hardware store or a kiosk, and getting extra car keys made are over. Only the dealers possess the blanks... And they're very costly. Others, like our new 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, are completely keyless. They require you to have the remote key Fob in your possession, in order to enter the car and start it via pushbutton.

Even if you exit the vehicle with the engine running, and return without the Fob, it won't allow you to put the car in gear. We got 2 Fob's with the car. And they told us if we lose both of them the vehicle has to be towed to the dealer, have 2 new Fob's issued to it. And then have both the computer reprogrammed by the dealer, along with both Fob's...... Cost? Around $2,000.00. And they won't do a thing until you prove to them it's your vehicle. And it's a very costly tow because the entire drivetrain, doors, hood, and hatchback are all locked up tighter than Ft. Knox. They have to jack it up and put dollies under it just to move the damn thing, and get it up on the carrier. Not to mention the alarm system is armed, and the battery is under the passenger seat. And the Fob's themselves are very durable. Mine already went through the washing machine once. It didn't effect a thing.

I've seen extra Fob's on sale from Amazon for around $150.00 each. The problem is they're useless unless the dealer programs them. And if they didn't sell you the Fob, they're going to rape you on programming it. Much the same as if you brought your own parts and wanted the service department to install them. The manufacturers have theft pretty well covered. If you look at the top stolen car list, a lot of them are older models. (Mid 90's to early 2000). Simply because they're much easier to steal.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 07:29:17 PM »
Wow. If I lose a key to my truck I can get another one for a buck or two at a hardware store. It's easier to steal but that's what I have insurance for.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 06:24:46 AM »
Wow. If I lose a key to my truck I can get another one for a buck or two at a hardware store. It's easier to steal but that's what I have insurance for.

That's how I feel about my 1991 F-150. As they say, that's progress.

tombogan03884

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 07:42:38 AM »
It is progress, just like abortion and gay marriage are "progress".

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:18:31 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 08:24:10 AM »
Actually, it's not too bad. It's only a "problem" if you lose both of your key Fob's. Think about it. When was the last time you lost all of your car keys? I've been driving for almost 50 years, and I never have. Even on my 1991 F-150 they gave me a set of plastic keys cut into a credit card size piece of plastic I carry in my wallet, in case you lock your keys in the car. I've never had to use them. With the key Fob's it's impossible to lock yourself out of the vehicle. And when you approach your locked vehicle, you don't have to press anything. The car will automatically sense when the Fob is in range, (in your pocket or purse for example), and when you put your hand inside the door handle, it automatically unlocks all of the doors.

The Fob's are nice because you can lock or open the doors, open or close the hatchback, or start the engine from over a football field away. In the hot weather, (or if you live in the cold), the remote start is nice because you can warm up the car, or cool it off before you get in. Chrysler Jeep even has a smart phone app. that allows you to start the engine, or flash the lights and beep the horn from anywhere. It's nice if you can't find your car in a crowded parking lot or parking garage. It, (the key Fob), also automatically arms the alarm when you lock the doors. This is what my Fob looks like:

http://www.carandtruckremotes.com/2015-jeep-grand-cherokee-remote-used-1.html?utm_source=2015-jeep-grand-cherokee-remote-used-1&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=googleproducts&gclid=Cj0KEQjwncO7BRC06snzrdSJyKEBEiQAsUaRjPW0cqNTPMBwocVSa88Mhe_aBFG_gWikNKWQ8SVB_roaAkxF8P8HAQ

It takes one of those wafer type batteries about the size of a Penny. And when the battery gets low, you will get a "Low Battery" warning on your dashboard telling you to change it.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 12:42:15 PM »

Heck, I just saw an automated key-making machine in walmart yesterday.   ???
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 01:22:46 PM »
Door key's and padlocks

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 03:22:41 PM »
Warning: Thread drift in progress!!!   ;)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 03:24:59 PM »
Warning: Thread drift in progress!!!   ;)

It's what we do.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk