Poll

How is your job situration now as compared to when Barack HUSSEIN Obama took office.

Did you really have to ask?  I feel bad enough about it anyway to have someone mention it.
0 (0%)
Worse.
4 (16.7%)
Better.  (If You Vote For This Please State Why This Is True).
5 (20.8%)
There be leprechan's out there with the unicorns and rainbows of joy.  Their coming to take me away, ha ha, ho ho, hee hee....
1 (4.2%)
About the same.  But I've had to work my you know what off to keep it that way.
2 (8.3%)
With Obamacare does it really matter?  More money means less money.  I'm working a better job or with better pay but I'm not keeping up.
1 (4.2%)
I'm retired, and it was planned just like I thought I would exit.
4 (16.7%)
I'm retired but it was not as I had planned I had to start early because of the economy.
4 (16.7%)
Working now but storm clouds are on the horizon.  I do not know how long this will hold together for me.
1 (4.2%)
My job was taken by a low wage illegal.
0 (0%)
I had an injury causing me to take disability.
2 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: H O W - - I S - - Y O U R - - J O B - - S I T U A T I O N - - N O W ? ? ?  (Read 10948 times)

tombogan03884

The thing with 3 D printers and computer aided machining is that they will always require a human to monitor the process add material and remove product. But employers can hire that for $10/ hr instead of the hire wages of a trained machinist/tool maker.

It's still cool as hell though.n

Timothy

I looked into getting my CDL but unfortunately lack the funds to even get started..

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 868
I looked into getting my CDL but unfortunately lack the funds to even get started..

It isn't as easy as it used to be.  I got mine back in 84, and it was a written test and driving test.  From those I've talked to lately there are some that get by that way, with way more supervised time that I didn't even need to do, but most go to school.

Best example there is for "If you have a license to do something, do all you can to keep it!"
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Timothy

Yea, I expect it's about 5-6K these days.  A bus CDL Is about 1500.

I still keep my motorcycle license though I probably won't ride again!  It's now a matter of pride having had one since my 16th BD, 1973!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 868
Damn your old!  My first car was a bike, and my first license had the endorsement - '74.  I think in California it was just a written test and a couple circles in the parking lot.  When I moved back to Minnesota I had to take both written and driving for my license.  For the bike I had to ride around the courthouse square.  Tester couldn't see me most of the way around, so he just listened to the sound of the bike.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

Timothy

Damn your old!  My first car was a bike, and my first license had the endorsement - '74. 

As well with me...  I was given a rolling chassis, motor, trans and a box of crap at about 14..  A 1968 Harley Sprint..  I worked on it hard for a year and brought the motor and trans to school for a small engine class I took.  I was the teachers special project...  Beat the heck out of Briggs and Tecumseh's!

This is not mine...

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
Tecumseh.  I had forgotten.  Are they still in business?

And oh by the way Timothy, hope you can find something in a shrinking economy.  These idiots running things have no idea how much 3rd world workers are really costing them.  I've had to use them around Pecos, TX, on starting some of my projects because I couldn't find locals in the desert and because there was no one willing to move in.  I've gotten work crews rotating in now and it's very much better.

But my point is the 3rd world work ethic can really suck.  For the crews I had you can forget anything getting done past noon on Friday...hell, they are ready to leave at 10 AM.  Then if you have work on Saturday for overtime expect 1/4 to 1/3 of already reduced effort.  Monday?  Monday I just as soon not even have a crew out because they all get drunk and stoned Sunday night and are not worth knocking in the head on Monday.  So essentially, I had 3-1/2 days a week where they would work if someone was staying on their ass.

And another thing...especially for construction, expect the job to be done wrong twice so they can get paid 3 times for doing a task.

And then they pull the language crap "no ingles"....causes me to smile at them and say, "OK, fine.  I'm good I understand 'no ingles'.  That's not a problem because if you don't finish what you are doing in 15-20 minutes pack your $hit and leave".   I do it with a smile from start to finish and turn around and go back to what I was doing.  It's amazing how much improvement in work ethic can be done in 15 minutes....all with no communication at all because,  you know, they don't speak English.  Right.

That's where the fish heads poll thing came from I posted yesterday.  I was not military, but everyone I know who was stationed in the Philippines or spent any time there came away with a saying to "xxx'em and feed 'em fish heads".  That comes to mind every time I think of having to build or operate something out in west TX.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Timothy

Yea, Tecumseh is still in biz as far as I know!

Thanks for the well wishes, BTW!

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
My job situation is better because I busted my butt (50-70 hour work weeks + Full time student for 2 years) to get a Bachelor's Degree in Leadership.  I like/hate my new job but it pays more and the benefits are okay.  My old job closed the doors 6 months ago after being in business for 25+ years.  FWIW I have over 20 years of machining and a few opportunities on the side to continue to keep my skills honed.  Handcrafted Firearms will always require knowledgeable/skilled hands  ;D

OH... I have added 40 minutes to an hour to my commute too.  Normal day is 67 minutes each way and a bad day can be 2 hours each way.
He who dares wins.  SAS

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
Ouch.  67 minutes.  I used to do the drive into New Orleans thing each day.  About 1-1/4 hours in and out...however, if I got was 15 minutes late leaving then it because nearly 2 hours getting into town. 

Glad you made a change and avoided the closing of your old workplace. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk