Author Topic: Gonna take the plunge..........  (Read 4936 times)

fatbaldguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Friends, don't let friends, shop Wal-Mart
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gonna take the plunge..........
« on: May 01, 2016, 10:34:42 AM »
I found Anderson stripped lowers for $40.  PSA has a lower parts kit  fire control that I like for around $60, and I can get the 'enhanced' Mil-Spec fire control kit for around $70.  I can do that much in a month or so and not have the missus hagging at me too much.  What tools am I going to need to do a complete build from parts?  I'll be building from a stripped upper too.
“It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.”

James Madison

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
Re: Gonna take the plunge..........
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 12:46:22 PM »
The main thing you need for the upper is a barrel wrench. You can probably get by with tools you have for everything else if you have patience. Mil-spec grease for the barrel nut is moly but you don't have to buy it just for this project.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 02:19:48 PM »
If you buy an upper already assembled you can skip on the barrel wrench.  That's how I did my first build.  And as it happens... look who has a complete upper on sale.  (Well you will still need a BCG and handle.)

At http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=7011&name=CBC+Industries+.223%2f5.56+KEYMOD+M4+Barreled+Upper

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 02:35:04 PM »
I bought an upper from them and was completely satisfied.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

fatbaldguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Friends, don't let friends, shop Wal-Mart
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 03:25:11 PM »
Should have said, I'm looking to put a 20 inch barrel on it.  Those don't look particularly cheap though.
“It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.”

James Madison

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:48:51 AM »

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 05:36:28 PM »
In this case, Youtube IS your friend. Watch the videos at Brownell's or elsewhere on YT, the AR is chock full of little fiddly bits that like to launch themselves into the ether, never to be seen again!!!

This is especially true about assembling the forward pivot pin. There is a set of detent pin tools that saved my sanity when I finally got a pair.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/919925/wheeler-engineering-delta-series-pivot-pin-detent-and-roll-pin-installation-tool-ar-15-steel
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 09:09:51 PM »
as commented a good barrel and castle nut wrench... one of the plastic "saddle" blocks that hold the upper securely... a good 3/16" punch, preferably a dedicated roll pin punch to install the roll pin on the bolt hold open without marring the side of the lower... a slave pin (5/32" I've used a wooden match stick) so you can align the disconnector in the trigger assembly... just push it out of the way with the pin when you install the trigger... borrow a torque wrench so you can tighten the barrel nut correctly... though you can probably get by with a "tight" nut if the holes line up for the gas tube... check the alignment of the gas tube in the upper so that it is parallel to the sides of the upper if you have a gas block that is set screwed on... lube the hell out of it before you shoot it

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk