Author Topic: Useful background information  (Read 6261 times)

craig_henry

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Useful background information
« on: April 30, 2016, 07:19:57 AM »
Very good report from BBC radio on the European terror networks.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03pfwym

Based on their reporting, the attacks in Paris last fall were fairly sophisticated. Much more so than the usual lone wolf attacks like those on Charlie Hebdo or the Christmas attack in San Bernardino.

E. g. They planned multiple, simultaneous attacks and bombings in order to overwhelm the police and counter-terror forces.

Also, in the theater attack, the killers had studied detailed floorplans of their target. They placed one of their number outside in an alley so that he could ambush those who tried to exit through one of the main escape doors.

All in all, a very sobering report. Gives us much to ponder.  As Michael keeps reminding us, "we are on our own" if we get caught up in one of these events.

Thanks

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
Re: Useful background information
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 08:02:45 AM »
I believe we need to go and live our lives, or "they" win.  However, we all need to remember and live with the fact that we live in an unpredictable, changed and dangerous world today.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 08:12:23 AM »
We need to return to the "frontier" mentality, realizing that a threat can appear at any time.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 02:23:54 PM »
Our biggest difference is that here, in many places, we maintain our 2A rights.

That means we have much better options than  cowering on the floor in the despair of helplessness waiting to be slaughtered.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 02:33:20 PM »
You can ALWAYS fight back .
There is no excuse for cowering.
It is not weapons that are lacking, its the will, and with out the will no weapon on earth will keep you alive.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:00:33 AM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 03:49:29 PM »
It is not weapons that are lacking, its the will, and with out the will no weapon on earth will keep you alive.

Yep.

I've always lived by the "give 'em more than they asked for" mentality when it comes to fighting.

Nothing brings that mindset more into focus than having the ability to flee taken away.
Before 2003, "fight or flight" was always an option...now, I can't run (heck, I can't really walk all that fast) but I'm very stable standing rooted to a spot ....so, my tactics in a fight are all geared toward avoidance first or ending the fight rapidly, and by any means necessary, if it occurs.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 05:52:03 AM »
Do like the mountain man, Peg leg Smith.
Take your leg off and start beating them with it.
I thought he was a fictional character till I recently ran across an old biography on line by a guy who knew him in the mountains.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 03:18:16 PM »
Charging 6 or more armed assailants in a open room where they are shooting anyone who stands or moves is not likely to be any more effective then cowering.

Notice I said that being armed offered better options than cowering.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 06:08:10 PM »
Charging 6 or more armed assailants in a open room where they are shooting anyone who stands or moves is not likely to be any more effective then cowering.
<snip>

I dunno.  They are expecting sheep.  I'd think they would kill you but you'd lower their numbers by one or two and maybe give someone in your crowd a tactical advantage...if someone else is trained and armed.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 06:01:10 AM »

Notice I said that being armed offered better options than cowering.

Even the Army doesn't charge head on into a group of armed people, and they have TANKS.
A little tactics and strategy would help.
One thing to remember, guns are distance weapons.
If you get inside the barrel length or gain control of the muzzle they are nearly harmless.
Probably burn the crap out of your hands , but that one won't shoot you.
I'd be more worried about knives or bombs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk