Author Topic: Flashlights again.  (Read 9021 times)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Flashlights again.
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 11:15:13 PM »
lesson learned from the 2004 season... I had a tendency to set the Maglight down and with a severe case of CRS have to search for it... a post type cable tie and a split key ring allowed me to attach it to my key snap

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 07:08:50 AM »

I'd like to find an emergency light that I can plug into an outlet and let it sit and come on automatically when the power goes out.  Doesn't have to be very bright...a bit brighter than a night light I'd guess.  I'd like to have them in a couple of places so I could find my way through the house in the dark if needed.

My concerns are that I have read, but do not know it is still true or ever was true, that most chargeable batteries don't like to be plugged into power 24/7 for maybe months.  Also, perhaps there is Battery Memory to be concerned about...if they unit is not fully discharged before recharging.  Don't know if minor 5 or 10 min outages during the day, for instance, would be detrimental to devices always hooked to power.

Anyone have experience or knowledge that can help? 

Thanks.

There are a number of manufacturers of just such lights.  I have both a GE brand and an Eveready one.   They are just a tad bigger than a night light.  Plug in the wall and contain enough smarts not to overcharge the battery inside.   Mine have three modes.   NIGHTLIGHT, which doesn't change when the power goes out, just provides a nightlight.  ON, which turns on the flashlight but only if the power is out or you unplug it.  And of course, OFF.

[ Sorry.  Photobucket and I have parted ways.  Images no longer available]

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 07:13:18 AM »
Not a MagLight fan.  From the original that took two hands to twist and turn on, to their push button end caps which were unreliable.    Maybe they've improved, but I'd rather do Streamlight, my favorite, or Surefire or Fenix.

Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 07:17:23 AM »
Alf... re;solar...there are more cost effective options now, but I have a Goal Zero 7W panel that is about 5 years old, ...

Thanks, Les. 

Been looking at the Goal Zero.   I'm was thinking of two chargers.  One just for 5V USB stuff and the other for a 12V rig much like you show.    There are a number of options available through ham radio suppliers.  Just haven't bit the bullet on them yet.   I guess I should do something before 11/8 though.

Will work for ammo

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2018, 04:00:50 PM »
OK.  It's been a year and a half.  Any updates or new favorites?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:22:03 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk