Author Topic: uncle, i call uncle damn it.  (Read 14532 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
Re: uncle, i call uncle damn it.
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2016, 06:23:22 AM »
Amen to that!  I spent last weekend in ICU with a Saddle Pulmonary Embolism.  I knew I was okay, the real threat happened two weeks earlier, but everyone else freaked. 

So what's a Saddle Pulmonary Embolism?  Just the name freaks me out.

Also, Tab....getting on an even keel yet?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 868
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2016, 07:55:00 AM »
So what's a Saddle Pulmonary Embolism?  Just the name freaks me out.

Also, Tab....getting on an even keel yet?

Too many years of medical training:

It is when the emboli (clot) sits at the "saddle" of the aorta (the place just prior to the lungs where the aorta forms two branches), and it extends down both branches.  Think of it as a cowboy on a saddle with one leg on each side of the horse.

As far as serious, they are large and in an area where they can cut off all flow, but because of their location they do not move as easily as others.  Think of stringy stuff in a utility sink drain that loops over the cross bars in the drain.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2016, 12:09:22 PM »
I knew what a pulmonary embolism was but didn't have a clue about that saddle P.E.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2016, 07:54:39 PM »
Dang that is really serious.  Mike I didn't know you had medical training or maybe I just forgot.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2016, 08:49:53 PM »
Almost 20 years as an EMT, and 15 of those as an instructor in the state vo-tech system training EMT'S and fire fighters.  Then there is the BS in Mortuary Science, which is part of Univ. Of Minnesota Medical School.  And, then 25 years of talking with docs as they do autopsies that I need to stitch back together.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 02:41:54 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2016, 06:01:06 AM »
EMT and Funeral home operator ?
Isn't that a conflict of interest ?
These are the kind of things I wonder about at before my first coffee.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2016, 06:37:18 AM »
In Minnesota they call it "The Rule Of '69"

1969is when legislation took ambulance services out of funeral homes.  Funeral directors were the only people with vehicles and equipment to handle the injured and sick (and dead).

I actually resigned as an EMT and instructor 6 months after taking over the funeral home.  Picture this:  You are in your mid 70's, you wake up at 5am feeling nauseous, soon chest pains start, your wife calls the ambulace, and you recognize the first two responders through the door - A very well known local pastor and the town undertaker.  I could cause the kind of fear and concern I saw in that mman's eyes or heard in his words, "I'm not that bad!"

tombogan03884

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2016, 07:56:53 AM »
ROFL yeah, I see where that would cause problems.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2016, 02:28:00 PM »
In Minnesota they call it "The Rule Of '69"

1969is when legislation took ambulance services out of funeral homes.  Funeral directors were the only people with vehicles and equipment to handle the injured and sick (and dead).

I actually resigned as an EMT and instructor 6 months after taking over the funeral home.  Picture this:  You are in your mid 70's, you wake up at 5am feeling nauseous, soon chest pains start, your wife calls the ambulace, and you recognize the first two responders through the door - A very well known local pastor and the town undertaker.  I could cause the kind of fear and concern I saw in that mman's eyes or heard in his words, "I'm not that bad!"

Would make a very good scene in some Dark Comedy movie.    :D :D
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2016, 06:27:23 PM »
Like Mike said, a saddle PE is pretty serious but I was okay when it happened-looking back I know when that was.  But EVERYONE else looked at me like I was a dead man walking.  The Thoracic Surgeon kept eyeballing me until I asked him what was wrong during one of his early morning visits (no rest in a hospital-by the way) and he told me he wanted to open me up-as in open chest surgery.  I asked him why he didn't, he told me he couldn't because I was doing too well.  ???
He who dares wins.  SAS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk