Author Topic: Home defense flashlight  (Read 18932 times)

wisconsin

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Home defense flashlight
« on: August 19, 2008, 08:01:20 PM »
I was looking into to getting a bright flashlight to hold (weak hand) with my 1911 (strong hand). I took a look at some at Sportsmans Warehouse today. To be exact the Surefire brands. Wow the prices were a real eye opener. Some were as small around as a cigar other a lot bigger. Does anyone have a hand held light that they are using that works for them and doesn't break the bank. The only requirement I guess would be bright to very bright and on/off switch would have to be a rear activated button. Or is one of those items that qualify as you get what you pay for.
" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."   John Wayne

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Home defense flashlight
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 08:59:03 PM »
I was looking into to getting a bright flashlight to hold (weak hand) with my 1911 (strong hand). I took a look at some at Sportsmans Warehouse today. To be exact the Surefire brands. Wow the prices were a real eye opener. Some were as small around as a cigar other a lot bigger. Does anyone have a hand held light that they are using that works for them and doesn't break the bank. The only requirement I guess would be bright to very bright and on/off switch would have to be a rear activated button. Or is one of those items that qualify as you get what you pay for.

If you think the price for the flashlight is high, do the math on the cost of batteries! :o

I use a mini mag light with the upgraded bulb..... they are pretty darn bright with the upgraded bulb, and at the distance you would be using it for in your home, they will blind the bad guy....... the best part is that they run a very long time on AA batteries..... make sure you buy the push button replacement switch for the rear of the light......... total price: about $20

If you really want the pricey flash light that runs on the fancy batteries, try Cabela's XPG or Alaskan guide series.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

someguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 09:02:08 PM »
I'm sure there are some other good brands, and I'm sure others will chime in here.  I've got the Surefire Aviator as my primary (along with some dedicated weaponlights on my 870 and one of my ARs) and love it.  Dim red light for reading or checking something w/o ruining night vision, and a BRIGHT white light for turning night to day.  Built like mack trucks.

Yeah, you pretty much get what you pay for with good lights.  Also, whatever you end up with, get spare batteries AND a spare bulb, especially if this is going to be part of your everyday carry.

wisconsin

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 09:30:29 PM »
If you think the price for the flashlight is high, do the math on the cost of batteries! :o

I use a mini mag light with the upgraded bulb..... they are pretty darn bright with the upgraded bulb, and at the distance you would be using it for in your home, they will blind the bad guy....... the best part is that they run a very long time on AA batteries..... make sure you buy the push button replacement switch for the rear of the light......... total price: about $20

If you really want the pricey flash light that runs on the fancy batteries, try Cabela's XPG or Alaskan guide series.
I've been able to locate the bulb upgrade at Wally Mart but can't find the push button upgrade. Do you recall were you saw or purchased it?
" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."   John Wayne

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 09:35:31 PM »
I have found a Streamlight "Microstream" LED that runs on 1 AAA battery, about the same size as a Bic lighter, and very bright.

It has the pocket clip and/or the Picatinny rail adapter. $21.00 off the local gun shop's rack.  It would blind a BG. I use at work crawling under boat decks and behind deck hatches etc,... looking for the "gremlins"

There are several that are very good as well. Even seen the one's that have 2+ different lighting options.

Although I still keep a couple good 'ol "full-size" Maglights close by the doors.

Had to fend off a raccoon once attacking my old cat "Buddy", no time to grab a firearm, used the Rodney King Method with the  big Maglight, 3rd blow did the trick, saved my da** cat.

" Built like mack trucks.",.. +1 someguy.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:57:43 AM »

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 09:40:51 PM »
1st, I'm a flashlight freak, I own damn near all them, I could go for a week with all the lights that I have without recharging.

1st question, rechargeable or lithium Ion. Rechargeable is cool.

2nd, how big, since you want to operate it with one hand, small.

3rd, LED or Xenon, nowadays, LED have come so far, it is the way to fly..

4th, going back to the 3rd question, how bright, does it matter if you have dim down capability? Or strobe??

Best new lights on the market, in a small bright package, Streamlight scorpion, in LED, but it takes cr123 batteries, 4 bucks at walmart and it takes 2, good for an hour and a half, but good for 10 years left on a shelf. 40 bucks.

Streamlight Strion, rechargeable,, LED, compact and good for and hour and a half, more expensive though, internet, 90 - 100 bucks.

Insight technologies typhoon 1 & 2, 135 - 250 bucks with the dim down feature and strobe + up to 150 lumens., ultra bright, uses cr123 batteries. Has a built in finger rest for pistol shooting, holding the light in the weak hand.

Surefire, lumimax L1, 10 to 65 lumens and very efficient, very small and well built, 135 bucks, takes the cr123 battery, I carry one every day.

Surefire g2 Led, 65 lumens of white light, takes cr123 batteries, and is a great light for about 65 bucks.

Surefire, aluminum combat light, with lanyard and finger control for weakhand hold, 135 bucks and takes cr123 batteries.

I'm sticking to your criteria for offhand manipulation.

Best bang for the buck are the 1st 2 streamlights and the surefire g2 Leds.

My main carry light is a Streamlight stinger XT rechargeable, but it is a larger light, not too big, but too big to carry in most pockets. Since I use it everyday, the rechargeable makes sense for me.

Many, many choices my man, I own all of the above and they work for me.

Very glad you did not ask about weapon lighting systems.

By the way, if you have a mini mag light, the conversion is worth the cost, it elevates this little light, and is quite useful.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 11:04:40 AM »
I just use a 2 C-cell Mag-Light. It's bigger and heavier than my Streamlight Scorpion flashlight but it can be also used as a club. It's a trade off but mostly I just don't like buying those little3v litium batterries. I'm waiting for a bulb to burn out before I get the LED upgrade.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 11:40:08 AM »
I have to identify with M25 as a flashlight junkie/gearhead. ;D  I have a few Surefires (G2, G2LED, and an old 6P), an ASP light, and a box full of other versions of varying quality, price, and function.  The basic G2 is part of my AR, the G2LED is a home light, and the 6p is used on the ambulance.   

The more control you have the better.  The tailcap switch is almost mandatory, prefering the momentary switches WITHOUT a click(to much noise and can't "strobe").  Used to train with a D-cell Mag but it was a pain and the switch on the side limited the usefullness. It made certain techniques impossible and good sight/light alignment difficult.

I would love to get one of the Blackhawk Gladius with the strobe and dimmer but don't have the money.  Some of the "major" manufactures (Blackhawk, Surefire, and Streamlight ect) have great lights and you usually get what you pay for.  I do have a couple of relatively cheap Gerber lights that do really well but the LEDs beam is bright in close but diffuses after a few feet.

The batteries are pretty easy to find.  The CR123s that most use are pricey if you get the two pack from WallyWorld and such ,about $10, but Surefire sells a bulk pack of 15 for about $20
When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

Grizzle_Bear

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 12:08:29 PM »
Have a 3 D cell MagLight by the bed.  Figure I can turn it on, throw it at the bad guy, while he is blinded and ducking, I can shoot him.   Repeatedly.

Grizzle Bear

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 01:09:24 PM »
I've got a 3 d cell right next to my detla elite,  not that I would use it in SD.   I'm not going to clear the house...  take every thing you want from the front rooms... hell take a chain saw to the frame, a jack hammer to the slab and drag it away with a truck.   Come down the hall way, your dead.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk