Author Topic: Home defense flashlight  (Read 18928 times)

John McCreery

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Home defense flashlight
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2008, 08:04:56 AM »
Great conversation!

I often kick around the cost vs. real benefit issue.  A really bright light that is impact resistant is really important.  How much is too much for price and how little light is too little? 

I'm not sure I want to rely on the brightness of my light to be the stopping factor for someone straight out of county.  If I'm in my home, many parking lots, buildings etc, there is some ambient light that can be enhanced by a flashlight.  If I'm in my home, I can pretty quickly figure out, even in low light, if there is someone there that is not supposed to be there.  Do I need to cover them with a flood light to figure out if they are a threat?  Nope, the mere presence is enough.  Even a small maglite can serve that purpose. 

Yes, there are people who need those high-end lights to do life saving work.  And I hope they have one when they come to save me!  The low end surefires are a good cross between cost and function and the maglites still hold up pretty well. 

Practice with what you have in scenarios that you might face and see how your light holds up.

CZShooter

• IDPA SO/MD, NRA RSO
  • Top Forum Member
  • CZ75...the choice of anime's hottest bounty hunter
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2008, 09:01:06 PM »
I too have been "jonesing" for a new flashlight. The Surefire 6P LED or G2 LED is on my short list. However...I just ran across the Coleman MAX series at Wally-world. They have a couple different models for under $30 that claim 115 lumens output and run on 2 AA or 3 AAA batteries. I think I might pick one up this weekend. Has anyone else tried one?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10196613
If the women don't find you handsome...they should at least find you handy.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1071
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2008, 12:53:56 AM »
I thought my 120 lumen tactical weapons light was supposed to be several times brighter than my 2-cell Mag-Light but it's just a little brighter. I shined it right into my eyes in a semi-dark room and saw a few spots but wasn't blinded by it. It takes a lot better one than that to stop a fight. I'm kind of disappointed. I need to see how it compares to my 6-cell Mag-Light. That's one of the deadliest hand to hand weapons I have. For a fighting light I need to get something MUCH brighter than 120 lumens.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

ccd

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2008, 12:11:17 AM »
I bought one of the G2's when they came out and bought a pack of spare batteries and the 120 lumen bulb at the same time. Looked at the receipt when I got home, thought HUM THERE'S GOT TO BE A CHEAPER WAY, went to the Surefire website and ordered the conversion kit for their rechargeable batteries. Lived happily ever after since then. I have used it all the time for jogging and hiking the batteries seem to last 8 months when being constantly used, YMMV. BTW I haven't had to worry about cars hitting me any more(YES I HAVE ALWAYS WORN A REFLECTIVE BELT OR VEST.) I did have one jerk swerve towards me(it was a teenager)  thinking he was funny, needless to say I lit up his face and he straightened his course.

CurrieS103

• NRA Life Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2008, 07:56:23 AM »
These may not be what your looking for but they are impressive. I have the Bear Cub on order for work.

http://www.blackbearflashlights.com/
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 05:03:37 AM »

charliefarmerboy33

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2008, 08:08:40 AM »
I use a Surefire G2. You can get them for under $40.00. My local gun shop has batteries for $1.75 per pair. While light time is about
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember what you said.

wisconsin

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA member
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2009, 05:55:51 PM »
Well since I started this thread I guess I have to revive it. With very good reason. USSA-1 told me to pony up and buy a fighting light and not mess around with lesser lights. Well give that man a cigar cause he was right on the mark. After messing around with half ass lights weather they claim high lumens or high intensity bulbs or conversions. I finally got tired of crap and ponyed up an bought one hell of a great light its called a Olight M20 Warrior from Olight USA which I bought from battery juction. I know thats probably a bold statement but here is the link for this tactical light. www.light-reviews.com/olight_m20/ It came with the orange peel reflector which is for flood. I bought the smooth reflector which is for spot for $9.95.  With 230 lumens they claim with the smooth spot reflector it will shoot out too 273 yds. Well with my range finder the best I could get was a target out to was just over 200 yds. If you were standing there at that telephone pole, it would light up the pole and show me someone was standing in front of it. The only thing stopping me from identifing you would be the strength of my eye sight. The light went for $94.95 on sale. Available in black and I believe sand. I bought two 18650 3000mah battery from utrafire for $10.95 ea./ ultrafire battery charger for $16.95. with promo sale of 5% off it came too $146.51 at my door. I should of listened to USSA-1 from the get go.
" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."   John Wayne

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2009, 07:39:30 PM »

Although I own probably a thousand bucks worth of illumination, and think, they are mostly overpriced, I bought them anyway, as the good ones do the job, and what is job worth???

If you or USAA want to thin the herd a bit, PM me.
FQ13

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2009, 12:47:51 PM »
Go to Wally World and check out the Coleman Max. It has a tail switch and puts out 115 lumens on 3 AAA batteries for 8 hours. Very bright, compact and comes with a lanyard so you can release and recover to change mags. Costs about 30 bucks, uses cheap batteries, is plenty bright and has a longer run time than a lot of big bucks tac lights.
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

TFox2112

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2009, 11:44:56 PM »
Has anyone else seen the Husky "tactical" lights at Home Depot? I picked one up in a pinch a few weeks back and it blows my G2's out of the water. It uses 3 AAA batteries instead of the 123 lithiums and it is an LED to boot. All aluminum with a small clip to hang in the pocket and a tailcap switch. It is a little bigger around than the G2 but still fairly comfortable in the hand. All for a hair over $20.00. Absolutely no compliants here.
NRA Life Member

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk