Author Topic: Home defense flashlight  (Read 18929 times)

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Home defense flashlight
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 01:16:46 PM »
I've been able to locate the bulb upgrade at Wally Mart but can't find the push button upgrade. Do you recall were you saw or purchased it?

Many sporting goods places have them, but eBay is also a good source (about $8)

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=32&catref=C6&from=R40&satitle=mini+maglite+switch&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=ZIP%2FPostal&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=32%26fsoo%3D2&fgtp=
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 01:18:44 PM »
I've got a 3 d cell right next to my detla elite,  not that I would use it in SD.   I'm not going to clear the house...  take every thing you want from the front rooms... hell take a chain saw to the frame, a jack hammer to the slab and drag it away with a truck.   Come down the hall way, your dead.

Thats basically my motto also.

wisconsin

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 04:41:10 PM »
1st, I'm a flashlight freak, I own damn near all them, I could go for a week with all the lights that I have without recharging.

1st question, rechargeable or lithium Ion. Rechargeable is cool.

2nd, how big, since you want to operate it with one hand, small.

3rd, LED or Xenon, nowadays, LED have come so far, it is the way to fly..

4th, going back to the 3rd question, how bright, does it matter if you have dim down capability? Or strobe??

Best new lights on the market, in a small bright package, Streamlight scorpion, in LED, but it takes cr123 batteries, 4 bucks at walmart and it takes 2, good for an hour and a half, but good for 10 years left on a shelf. 40 bucks.

Streamlight Strion, rechargeable,, LED, compact and good for and hour and a half, more expensive though, internet, 90 - 100 bucks.

Insight technologies typhoon 1 & 2, 135 - 250 bucks with the dim down feature and strobe + up to 150 lumens., ultra bright, uses cr123 batteries. Has a built in finger rest for pistol shooting, holding the light in the weak hand.

Surefire, lumimax L1, 10 to 65 lumens and very efficient, very small and well built, 135 bucks, takes the cr123 battery, I carry one every day.

Surefire g2 Led, 65 lumens of white light, takes cr123 batteries, and is a great light for about 65 bucks.

Surefire, aluminum combat light, with lanyard and finger control for weakhand hold, 135 bucks and takes cr123 batteries.

I'm sticking to your criteria for offhand manipulation.

Best bang for the buck are the 1st 2 streamlights and the surefire g2 Leds.

My main carry light is a Streamlight stinger XT rechargeable, but it is a larger light, not too big, but too big to carry in most pockets. Since I use it everyday, the rechargeable makes sense for me.

Many, many choices my man, I own all of the above and they work for me.

Very glad you did not ask about weapon lighting systems.

By the way, if you have a mini mag light, the conversion is worth the cost, it elevates this little light, and is quite useful.
Do you mind if I just get on a bus and come for a visit and try out all of your flashlights  :o. I'm going to have read and re-read your post to take in all the info you offered. Your the man ;)
" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."   John Wayne

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 06:16:34 PM »
I'm using a 9P, 9Z and a G2 - all with high output bulbs.
200 lumens on the 3 cell...which is just shy of what you need to x-ray the dog.  120 lumens on the 2 cell G2.

I'd change to another flashlight if one of the Surefires would break....but they just won't. 
Not even the high output bulbs have given me a problem and they're only rated for 20 minute burn time. I easily have 5 hours on the one in the G2. 

Buy the batteries from Surefire - 1.75 each. 12 pack or 72 pack.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 06:27:18 PM »
Now you did it. I went to Surefire's site and yeah, they have a LED upgrade for my light.  2x 123 cells every hour (bulb) or 2x 123 cells every 12 hours (LED). The upgrade pays for itself in batteries saved pretty quickly for me.
Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:45:26 PM »

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
I'm using a 9P, 9Z and a G2 - all with high output bulbs.
200 lumens on the 3 cell...which is just shy of what you need to x-ray the dog.  120 lumens on the 2 cell G2.

I'd change to another flashlight if one of the Surefires would break....but they just won't. 
Not even the high output bulbs have given me a problem and they're only rated for 20 minute burn time. I easily have 5 hours on the one in the G2. 

Buy the batteries from Surefire - 1.75 each. 12 pack or 72 pack.

Thats the funniest damn thing I have heard today! I literally just laughed out loud.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 09:12:26 PM »
1st, I'm a flashlight freak, I own damn near all them, I could go for a week with all the lights that I have without recharging.

1st question, rechargeable or lithium Ion. Rechargeable is cool.

2nd, how big, since you want to operate it with one hand, small.

3rd, LED or Xenon, nowadays, LED have come so far, it is the way to fly..

4th, going back to the 3rd question, how bright, does it matter if you have dim down capability? Or strobe??

Best new lights on the market, in a small bright package, Streamlight scorpion, in LED, but it takes cr123 batteries, 4 bucks at walmart and it takes 2, good for an hour and a half, but good for 10 years left on a shelf. 40 bucks.

Streamlight Strion, rechargeable,, LED, compact and good for and hour and a half, more expensive though, internet, 90 - 100 bucks.

Insight technologies typhoon 1 & 2, 135 - 250 bucks with the dim down feature and strobe + up to 150 lumens., ultra bright, uses cr123 batteries. Has a built in finger rest for pistol shooting, holding the light in the weak hand.

Surefire, lumimax L1, 10 to 65 lumens and very efficient, very small and well built, 135 bucks, takes the cr123 battery, I carry one every day.

Surefire g2 Led, 65 lumens of white light, takes cr123 batteries, and is a great light for about 65 bucks.

Surefire, aluminum combat light, with lanyard and finger control for weakhand hold, 135 bucks and takes cr123 batteries.

I'm sticking to your criteria for offhand manipulation.

Best bang for the buck are the 1st 2 streamlights and the surefire g2 Leds.

My main carry light is a Streamlight stinger XT rechargeable, but it is a larger light, not too big, but too big to carry in most pockets. Since I use it everyday, the rechargeable makes sense for me.

Many, many choices my man, I own all of the above and they work for me.

Very glad you did not ask about weapon lighting systems.

By the way, if you have a mini mag light, the conversion is worth the cost, it elevates this little light, and is quite useful.

The man has got as many cool ass flashlights as he does guns!

I'm gonna have to move to Texas, and you and me are gonna become real good friends...... Do you happen to have a boat by any chance?  ;D

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 09:34:49 PM »
No, boats  are great big holes you pour many into to keep them afloat, but come on down anyway, I do love to fish.

" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 10:06:24 PM »
Thats why I don't own one.... but I am forever looking for a friend who does

Ksail101

• Airborne all the way!!!
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 10:14:32 PM »
I will have to add a +1 for the mini mag. I have the same one I used over seas. it has been great and not very expensive. But also it is like someone else said when you buy the Surefire you get what you pay for.

I am a proponent for a weapon light. I know you said you wanted one for weak hand carry. But a Surefire x-300 on the bottom of your handgun is the, I feel, best way to go. It is also my belief that all your home defense guns should have a weapon light on them. But at the bare min your HD handgun. Having that spare hand in an indoor combat situation is vital. There are doors swinging, stuff you must constently push away or move, and  Reloads.

Having a flashlight readily availible is always a must, but if your intent is to have light for the instance of fighting a weapon light must be in your equation.
Did we win???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk