Author Topic: Cordless drills?  (Read 7551 times)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cordless drills?
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 09:25:13 PM »
I use a Ridgid 18v, but for a back up a Yankee Screwdriver with adapter chuck

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 06:04:58 AM »
Can't beat the old Yankee screw driver !  😁

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 07:42:55 AM »
My problem is like most homeowners. I don't use a cordless tool enough to justify buying a "good one". The batteries will go bad from lack of use. For a guy like me, if I were going to buy one, I would probably go with something like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt-12-in-cordless-variable-speed-drilldriver-62427.html

There is no way I could ever justify a $360.00 DeWalt for what my needs are.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 11:23:56 AM »
My problem is like most homeowners. I don't use a cordless tool enough to justify buying a "good one". The batteries will go bad from lack of use. For a guy like me, if I were going to buy one, I would probably go with something like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt-12-in-cordless-variable-speed-drilldriver-62427.html

Same here.

I lucked up a few years ago and got a steal on a Craftsman kit: 18v drill and a sawzall with two batteries and a bag for $20. Regular price was $150. One of my d-i-l has kin-folk that managed a local Sears store and they were liquidating items that didn't sell at Christmas. My son got two sets for himself, one like mine and the other a drill/circular saw set.

I seldom have a need for it, but it is nice when the need arises. I try to charge the batteries regularly so they keep their life. Mine are NiCad and one of his uses Li-ion....the lithium seems better, but you never know when they are getting near depletion......they tend to just stop when it is time to charge, where the NiCads will slowly begin to weaken over time.

I have a 12v B & D cordless with a charger that plugs in like a cell phone.... just plug the charging cord into the back of the drill for a few hours. I probably use it more than any other drill (not often, but I grab it first when I need one) if it doesn't have enough umpf, then I grab the 18v....or a 110v corded drill.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 12:31:04 PM »

you can buy  dewalt 18 volt drill for about $80 at the box stores  it comes with 2 batterys that are worth the $80 alone.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 01:02:09 AM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:

Timothy

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 06:52:15 PM »
My old Dewalt I mentioned earlier runs as well today as it did when I bought it!  Still using the original battery and it still holds s good charge.  Heavy though!

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • It's just a pen name...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Best Wishes, Mike.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 07:53:53 PM »
Check for the kit with the impact driver, trust me, they are the only good cordless tool.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 08:52:46 AM »
While my drill has held together well, the NiCd batteries don't last and are very expensive compared to other brands such as Ryobi.  BTB, Batteries Plus will replace individual cells in NiCds.  Last I checked it was about $20/cell.  If only one is prematurely bad, then it's a good deal.

Speaking of expensive, that Makita drill above, DOES come with the battery.   Good thing too, because replacement batteries are, $99.99.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-LXT-Lithium-Ion-3-0-Ah-Battery-BL1830/202213952

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk