Author Topic: Cordless drills?  (Read 7536 times)

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • It's just a pen name...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cordless drills?
« on: October 08, 2015, 11:51:31 AM »
My batteries on my not so old one crapped out so I've decided to just replace the whole thing.

Any thoughts on some of the latest offerings?
Best Wishes, Mike.

tombogan03884

Re: Cordless drills?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 01:43:49 PM »
Buy a brand with replacement batteries. With Drills you get what you pay for.
Not so with batteries for them, they're ALL crap.

Timothy

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 03:54:28 PM »
My Dewalt is going on 26 years...  Don't know if the quality is the same these days.  Most are Asian made now.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 04:10:48 PM »
they all suck.   that being said the newer "brand name" 20 volters are getting better, but still won't replace a corded drill.  Hilti makes great stuff, you just pay for it.   dewalt, Makita and bosch are all the same just pick your color and go with it.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Timothy

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 04:16:34 PM »
For once I agree with TAB!  He makes a living with this stuff!

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:14:25 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 04:19:58 PM »
Don't buy a cheap one like I did. My battery won't hold a charge and I have to charge it the day before I want to use it. Replacement batteries cost almost as much as a whole new drill. You're better off getting one with 2 batteries, and more volts seems to be better. I guess bigger batteries last longer.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 04:24:35 PM »
btw often the kits are great deals and check the more industrial suppliers often they will have premotions going like buy this kit get this type deal.

the last one I did like that was last year.  I got 2 extra batterys( $90/ each) and a cordless grinder.( which I found myself using a lot more then the corded ones as it turns slower so if it is something that I don't need the speed/power of a corded model)

it is a dewalt 20volt ( also remember to check mAh on the batterys they come in several sizes)

just my$.02  the only cordless tool that is worth anything is the impact driver.   the drills last 5-10 mins of actual use.  things like hole saws/ spade bits eat up that batterys fast. 

ps the batterys will normally cost more then replacing every thing.   every guy in construction I know has a bunch of older cordless tools with lots of life left but no batterys.    I use to by them by the 6 pack, for about $500 every 3 months when I used them a lot.  now I just bring the generator lol

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 04:38:55 PM »
this is what I bought last year... ( and from this vendor)

http://www.whitecap.com/shop/p/dewalt-20v-max-cordless-lithium-ion-brushless-hammer-drill---impact-driver-combo-kit-dck296m2

I bought a  sawzall and 6 extra batterys( with the 4 I got from the promotion  in both the bigger and smaller size as the small size is great for the impact driver as it is lighter)

so 10 batterys total in the fall of last year.   I have 3 left.  the others won't hold a charge very long.

granted I use my tools very hard every day, and take care of them. 

now my hilti rotato hammer that is cordless is about 4 years old  it runs on a 36 volt system and does not get used very much( maybe once or twice a month, when I can't use a cord for what ever reason) and was $1000.  2 batterys down at ~$450 each ( 6 mAh) 

my festool is the same, great for what it does, $$$$$$ to buy( around $600) but the batterys just don't last very long.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 06:15:53 PM »
Check the cost of replacement batteries.

Dewalt (black and decker) batteries are sky high in cost and I don't think they're that much better. 
Ryobi has cheaper replacement batteries but they're probably not as good.     

My maintenance dept went with Milwakee last I noticed. 

Now I will admit all mine at home an at work are NiCd.   I'm not sure how well the Lithiums hold up.

I'll be replacing the two at work soon.  And mine at home as well.  So keep us posted.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 07:32:54 PM »
B and d owns just about every one, there is no getting away from them unless you spend$$$$$

My hilti and festool battery make b and look cheap.

L ion is the way to go, much higher mAh rating. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk