Author Topic: Trials of reloading .38Short Colt  (Read 4072 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
Trials of reloading .38Short Colt
« on: October 05, 2015, 06:57:34 PM »
Really, I'm just using .38SC cases to load what would be the equivalent of .38Spl.   A common trick in ICORE.  The reason to do this is they extract much quicker and have less "wiggle" in the moon clips.  A passing trick though, what with the S&W 929 out now.  Everyone at this year's (last month) ICORE Championship who was shooting a 627 will have a 929 next year.

Anyway, I'm still stuck with my 8 shot .357, so .38 SC it is.  Took it out to a rogue action match last month and really had a hard time loading the moon clips.  Had my smith look at the chambers and he said they were chamfered as much as possible already.  But he suggest I put a significant roll crimp in my ammo.  That would give less edge to hang up.    Easier said than done.  You can't use a .38spl die because the case isn't long enough.  True .38SC dies don't roll crimp because the bullet is the same diameter as the case.   The only way I can get my 9mm die to do this is by taking out and reversing the seating plunger to drive the crimping sleeve (Hornady) down far enough.  This greatly improved the reload.  I can "throw" the moon clip at the cylinder and with just a might of jiggle get it to drop in. 

But I hate to waste a 9mm die for this.   SO, possessing Michael Bane's touch with the Dremel and having access to a horizontal band saw, AND having a spare .38spl crimping die....

The band saw did great, smooth, flat work.  And my chamfering with the Dremel was pretty good too.  But alas still not short enough.  I'm going to have to take another 1/4" off.  Then I'm not sure it will screw down far enough before it reaches upper body.    I will also have to re-chrono these and adjust possibly adjust loads. 

Maybe I do need to just chunk it all and get the 929 at this point.   One less caliber to reload for.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
Re: Trials of reloading .38Short Colt
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 10:51:24 PM »
Alf,Lee makes a .38 Long /Short Colt die set that will do a roll crimp,I have a set and they work great.
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/123113/lee-carbide-3-die-set-38-short-colt-38-long-colt
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 07:16:44 PM »
Majer,

I have that Lee set, but I seem to remember (been over a year now) that I couldn't get it screwed down in the press far enough to crimp a short case.   I'll revisit it and see.  Maybe I just didn't do it right.

But then, you know me, I'll go around my elbow to scratch my nose.   Cutting up an old .38spl die seems like a fun project. 

Didn't get back to the band saw today.  Had to actually do work at work.  Installed some new PARs and wired them in.    Maybe I'll get by the shop tomorrow.
Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 05:02:35 AM »
Okay, I did cut the die off some more and it would work well as a crimper excetp for two problems.

Of course it won't go far enough down in the die holder to be useful.  I'm not sufficiently motivated to fix this.    Secondly, I've scratched up the interior and it severely marks up the brass.   I've tried to polish it but don't seem to be making any progress.

So in conclusion.  I've decided to give up on the project.  Lost motivation.   Actually, I'm giving up on the .38SC.  As soon as the funds are available I'm moving to the 9mm 929.  Not a surprise as practically every competitive shooter will be as well this coming year.   
Will work for ammo

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 02:29:11 PM »
Alf, go to the BE Forum and check out the thread on the 929.  Lots of good stuff there.  Also check out info on the problems you are having loading the sc.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:44:35 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk