Author Topic: The Bolt Action AR  (Read 9010 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
The Bolt Action AR
« on: July 23, 2015, 08:21:37 PM »
Ruger's new SPR has got me thinking. 

Kudo's to Ruger.   It has been good to see them put more emphasis on accuracy.

So, I've research and read about single shot ARs.   Bolt action if you will.  For those who haven't, you basically block the gas port/tube and you get a single shot.  Then cycle the action.  There are side cocking bolts to help you out.   Fulton Armory makes both the upper and the bolt carrier for this application and you can get the pair for ~$200-250.      There are of course more expensive options including a complete rifle from ZEL for about $2k.  But hey, let's do some of our own experimenting.

I've got a spare barrel.  This could be a fun project.   Not want to go "all in" money-wise.  Also, needing to buy with cash not a credit card, I'll tread slowly at first.   First, a regular upper and an extra gas block.  We'll mount those, turning the gas block upside down.   Then put that on one of my lowers, we'll see how it works at the range. If I like it then I'll give the Fulton Armory option a go.  Maybe for fun I'll get a .300BLK barrel down the road.

Anybody else interested in a true AR bolt action?

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

Re: The Bolt Action AR
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 08:36:36 AM »
Not really.
Why go with 800's technology when you can get the same accuracy from semi auto's that have only been around for 60years ?

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 09:21:37 AM »
Not really.
Why go with 800's technology when you can get the same accuracy from semi auto's that have only been around for 60years ?

What a kill joy. ;) 

I don't know.  It's just all the hype over the almost-looks-like-an-AR got me thinking I'd like to see how difficult and what results I get from a single-shot-at-a-time AR.     I keep thinking, with the facilities Ruger has, why can't they do a true AR bolt action?   Not just a shut-off-the-gas-straight-pull, but a true bolt, bolt action based on everything else AR except upper and bolt carrier.  Something that would take any AR barrel, fore end, stock, mags and grip.

Will work for ammo

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 01:24:16 PM »
You nailed it in one word. HYPE.
If they marketed a rock with a wooden handle as "The NEW , SUPER- RETRO AX 2100 some writers would tell you what a "must have" it is at X number of cents per word and there would be suckers running out to waste their money on it.
Maybe it is fairly accurate, big freaking deal. Other than the cobbled together stock it's nothing Savage, Remington, and Ruger haven't been making for ages, and even with the stock it's nothing McMillan hasn't been doing much better for 10+ years.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 09:03:13 AM »
I'm with Tom on this one (scary, yeah, I know!  ;D ).

My reaction to hearing MB wax eloquent about bolt-action ARs was that line from the original Jurassic Park - "Your scientists were so interested in whether they could, they forgot to ask themselves if they should".

I was of the opinion, based on readings, not experience mind you, that the bolt vs. semi-auto accuracy issue was done in a long time ago. Semi-auto Barretts, Lapuas, even M-14s have all proven to be very effective long-range weapons, especially in the sandbox in hands of very skilled sniper teams.

So what's changed, other than the marketing guys had "a really good idea!"? /sarcasm
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:52:41 AM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 10:05:50 AM »
I'm with Tom on this one (scary, yeah, I know!  ;D ).

My reaction to hearing MB wax eloquent about bolt-action ARs was that line from the original Jurassic Park - "Your scientists were so interested in whether they could, they forgot to ask themselves if they should".

Yep.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 12:13:23 PM »
The Russians have been using a purpose built semi auto for sniping since the mid 60's.
We replaced our bolt action 03 Springfields with the M-1Cand D models in the mid to late 40's.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 04:17:03 PM »
Other than somewhat of a novelty, the only two advantages are slightly quieter when suppressed, and cleaner since no gas is vented.
Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 04:22:23 PM »
Here's my plan.  Obtain a sixteen inch barrel, low profile block, and a standard upper.  Using an existing lower and BCG, play with the single shot concept.  Once done, the barrel and upper will be the start of a tactical competition carbine.  If I like the single shot concept, then I'll procure parts for building one with a slick sided upper and a side bolt BCG.
Will work for ammo

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 05:49:03 PM »
Other than somewhat of a novelty, the only two advantages are slightly quieter when suppressed, and cleaner since no gas is vented.

It may be a LITTLE quitter, and cleaner, but the trade off is heavier recoil from the same load and somewhat slower follow up shots

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk