Author Topic: FIFA - Nationalism  (Read 1233 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
FIFA - Nationalism
« on: June 30, 2015, 09:36:47 PM »
I know some of you are, but I'm not a big fan of any of the continuous action sports, like basketball, soccer, lax, etc.   Don't get me started on the stupid clock in soccer or any of the other many vagarities of these sports.  (Yeah yeah.  Football, baseball, et.al. have theirs too.)    However, you can't but help get caught up when the local US Women's are doing good.   I only watched a few minutes as I had better things to do but I did have a question.

In FIFA the teams all wear the host patch, "Canada 2015", the FIFA patch, "Live Your Goal" and their team patch.   Which for the US is a B&W shield.   What's missing is the country flag.  So I asked a friend who is all over soccer and he says that's just the way they do it in FIFA.

I was wondering if this is an attempt to temper some of the hot head nationalism that occurs at soccer games?    I mean if your player get stomped on in a clear infraction which the ref doesn't call it's not like your country's flag got tromped on.   Does that make sense?  Does it some how tone down the fans a little?

And am I the only one who thinks the FIFA "Live Your Goal" patch looks awful similar to Taco Bell's Live Mas?

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

Re: FIFA - Nationalism
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 12:54:38 PM »
Haven't seen the patch.
But I will say the main offenders for "Hooliganism" are the British, and since most of their major teams are owned by Russian Oligarchs like the late Boris Berezovsky I don't think the national flag has much to do with it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk