Author Topic: IWB, AIWB & ITB - Inside the Belt  (Read 2294 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
IWB, AIWB & ITB - Inside the Belt
« on: June 30, 2015, 07:39:43 AM »
All the recent fuss of appendix carry.   One instructor refuses to teach any student carrying such.  My hero, Gabe, prefers to carry it that way.

Well, duh, bein's a good southern red-neck, if you post a sign outside your glass house that says, "Don't throw rocks" the first thing I'm going to do is look for a rock.   So naturally I got's to wondering, what's all the fuss.

I've never tired Appendix Inside the Waist Band carry because I figured it would be hard to bend at the waist.  You know for things unimportant things like, sitting down.

But with all the fuss, naturally I've been trying it lately.   But first a little explanation about my physque.  I'm one the cusp.  I should lose weight else go to a larger sized pants, which I'm refusing to do.  For now there's no room Inside the Waist Band.   I carry Inside The Belt, ITB.  Under the belt but outside the waist band.  With long enough shirt tail works great.  I've always carried just a little behind the hip.  And have been happy though it does sometimes, depending on the gun, poke me a little in the car.  For the last two weeks though it's just forward of the hip.  AITB, I call it.

And I'm pleasantly surprised.  It really is more comfortable.  I feel like I'm more in control of it.  And I think it prints less.  My chest is still slightly larger than my waist so shirts hang just a little out from the belt.   Bending isn't a problem.  I wouldn't wont to do full bend-over-touch-my-toes-full-bobby-pin position, but for driving and general sitting it feel good.  Also seems easier to deploy when seated than other carry positions.   Less obvious what I'm reaching for.    I don't think the general public associates the reach to a appendix carry as threatening as the motions to get a gun from behind the hip. 

Others?   Tried AIWB or AITB?   Am I the only one to try ITB?
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

Re: IWB, AIWB & ITB - Inside the Belt
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 08:42:39 AM »
All the recent fuss of appendix carry.   One instructor refuses to teach any student carrying such.  My hero, Gabe, prefers to carry it that way.

The difference between a real instructor and a poser.
The phoney wants it his way or the highway, The real instructor knows that "REAL" gunfighters carried any which way. At the OK Corral Wyatt Earp had good results from his coat pocket, while Doc Holliday preferred a  sawed off shotgun hung from a string around his neck.
There is no perfect for everybody method of carry just as there is no perfect for every body gun.
That's why there are so many variations of both.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 10:25:29 AM »
I think the instructor banning of appendix carry is based on risk/liability.

The assumption is that there will be accidental/unintended/negligent discharges while drawing/holstering because noting/no one is perfect. 

So if there will eventually be a discharge, greater and more life threatening injuries are likely to occur with appendix carry because lower abdomen and much more "leg" is in the line of fire as opposed to hip or kidney carry.

For this reason, they ban it from their training classes but are not necessarily saying it is a poor carry choice. 
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 12:47:51 PM »
I think the instructor banning of appendix carry is based on risk/liability.

The assumption is that there will be accidental/unintended/negligent discharges while drawing/holstering because noting/no one is perfect. 

So if there will eventually be a discharge, greater and more life threatening injuries are likely to occur with appendix carry because lower abdomen and much more "leg" is in the line of fire as opposed to hip or kidney carry.

For this reason, they ban it from their training classes but are not necessarily saying it is a poor carry choice.

+1

After reading the statement by a known 'high profile' instructor, that is my take as well.....he's not against that style carry, just not for use in general classes where skill sets are unknown...too much liability due to unknown variables of new students.

Many moons ago I carried IWB cross-draw.
That being said, now I gots too much gut....so I keep it near the butt.  ;D
Right hip carry for #1 CCW gun and pocket carry for back-ups.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

rjfleming

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 06:00:18 PM »
In an Open enrollment class (Non Agency, Anyone can sign up if they have the $) I think it's probably the safest practice to limit the students carry options until his skills have been assessed and verified. Liability wise I feel this is also the best approach.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:01:56 AM »

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 03:01:04 PM »
I most often carry IWB @ 3 o'clock. I prefer this simply because this is how I carry OWB during training. So it's the most natural position for me. However, I have carried appendix. In (thankfully few) situations where I am in a crowd and people have the potential of bumping me I like appendix. People bump you from the back or side.

While I have my own reservations carrying appendix, I don't find it to be unsafe. Although I am much more aware of the gun in that position. It seems to me that most of the problems are from reholstering too fast. Which in my mind there is never a reason to reholster fast. If you are putting it away it's either because it's going on for the day, or the fight is over. Neither time requires a quick motion.
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk