Author Topic: Best Buy Now Has Drones  (Read 4611 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
Re: Best Buy Now Has Drones
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 07:35:04 AM »
I can see the value for store security in and on their private property, as a farmer for scouting fields or checking feedlots, as a contractor or insurance adjustor taking a quick peek at roofs, etc.  However, I am fully against the peeping toms, including government, just snooping on us.

This past week we have endured the annual photo taking sessions.  Photographers in their planes buzz the country side taking photos of farm yards.  This means that in a month or two we will have high pressure salesmen on the place pushing photos.  A real joy knowing that as you are working outside there is somebody overhead taking photos.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 07:41:23 AM »
How much armament will it carry?   .50cal?  Or just a .223?
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 08:44:02 AM »
The hype disgusts me.
They are radio controlled air craft. BFD.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 10:13:50 AM »
Note that the even the most expensive one only takes and stores pictures and videos.....at least I see nothing about "live" transmission of video.  I have found that this feature is referred to as  First Person View (FPV)

And I'd assume you are flying "blind" and would need to have it in sight to direct it's flight with any accuracy.

Without live video, it has little "tactical" value in your neighborhood.  By the time it returns and the pictures are viewed on another device, what ever was about to happen, will have started at least.

It is still great for spying or peeping-toming  ;D ;D

If I am mistaken about the live video and blind flying, let me know...I am assuming if FPV is not expressly mentioned in the blurb, it isn't a feature of the model.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:32:14 AM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 12:53:25 PM »
Not that hard to add wireless video for live feeds.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 03:48:21 PM »
I think the big plus with these is how easy they are to fly. Going back just a few years ago, RC helicopters were a real PITA to fly. Many resulted in expensive crashes. These will all but fly themselves. Some can stay airborne for up to a half hour on one charge. When the batteries get low they will automatically land.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 06:33:18 PM »
Not that hard to add wireless video for live feeds.

Have no experience with the gear or it's requirements for live feed.

I see two concerns:

1. the added weight of that extra gear which might be a consideration with these small drones.

2.  traditionally transmitters have been power consumers, but I guess cell phone technology has reduced that considerably, but still a long flight time is 30 or so minutes a video transmission may take a bite out of that.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 06:49:47 PM »
Solus,

If you watch shooting shows you will see these.  I have seen them on at least three, but the only name I can remember is 3 Gun Nation.  They are flying these on the range covering the stages.  I am assuming that the cameraman is watching live video feed on the monitor in front of him as he flies the drone.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 06:51:12 PM »
I think the big plus with these is how easy they are to fly. Going back just a few years ago, RC helicopters were a real PITA to fly. Many resulted in expensive crashes. These will all but fly themselves. Some can stay airborne for up to a half hour on one charge. When the batteries get low they will automatically land.

I noticed that the expensive one from that link ($1200+) was GPS equipped and can fly "home" and land.  Flip the burgers while the bird comes home.....
—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk