Author Topic: The Thrill is Gone....  (Read 4692 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
The Thrill is Gone....
« on: May 15, 2015, 11:51:54 AM »
B.B. King dies at 89........... the King is gone.   :'(

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/b-b-king-dead-at-89-his-lawyer-says/
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
Re: The Thrill is Gone....
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 02:34:31 PM »
When Ben E. King died recently some people got mixed up and said B.B. King was dead. He wasn't yet but was in bad shape. The thrill is gone is my favorite song of his. It reminds me of my marriage.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 08:20:49 AM »
Some years ago, (around 1994 or '95) B.B. King performed a free concert here in Tampa Bay.  The venue was a barge on the river near Tampa General Hospital and Harbor Island.  I was asked to captain the boat ferrying Mr. King between his dressing room on the shore, to the barge anchored in the river, where he would perform.  His fans lined the shore.  During the course of events, I had an opportunity to chat with B.B. at some length.  He was really something.

Before the concert, I watched as Mr. King ate half a tuna sandwich, washed it down with a pint of brown whiskey,  and followed that with a bottle of red wine.  In the middle of the concert, I was approached by Mr. King's bodyguard (a nearly 7' tall black man of at least 300 lbs., and who was scared to death to get on my boat) who asked me to be ready to transport Mr. King to another location where EMTs would be available to check him out as Mr. King thought he might be having a heart attack.  I confirmed my readiness.

King finished his concert and boarded my boat for the trip to the EMTs, but stopped me before we even left the barge.  "Captain," he said, "can you get this boat up close to that wall over there?"  He indicated a portion of seawall that was readily accessible.  I acknowledged that I could, and following his request did exactly that.

B.B. had seen an elderly black woman in a wheelchair watching his concert, and when we got to the seawall, he hoisted his not unsubstantial bulk out of my boat and onto that seawall.  He then walked over to that old black lady in the wheelchair, got down on one knee, and personally serenaded her while she held his hand and wept tears of pure joy.

Mr. King then re-boarded my bot, and I took him back to shore.  He said, "You can never forget your fans, Captain." 

He never did get to the EMTs and I think he probably realized that it might not have been a heart attack but rather something he ate.

Anyway, that generous, selfless gesture by a world renowned star elevated him to true hero in my eyes.  It's something I will never forget.

R.I.P Mr. King.  You made this world a better place for your having walked among us.

Crusader Rabbit

“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 02:24:06 PM »
Cool story. The closest I ever came to him was seeing his tour bus at a local store. He wasn't in the store so I knew he was on the bus but didn't see him.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 06:08:22 AM »
Holding out his hand
I've been waitin' on you brother
Welcome to the band
Good blues-stringin'
Heaven-fine singin'
Jesus, Mary and Joseph
Been lis'nin' to your playin'
Heaven done called
Another blues-stringer back home
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:32:14 AM »

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 11:19:51 AM »
I never met Mr. King, but I did meet that bodyguard and Crusader is right...he is a giant. My band was performing at a restaurant at the Tropicana in Atlantic City and BB King was doing a show that night. My guitarist buddy and I took a CD down to the bus to see if we could at least pass that on to our hero. He was resting, said Mr. Green Mile, and we would have to mail the cd to his management in Memphis. Oh well.  His music was salve to the soul.
I'll repeat myself here, what I've been saying all week. If you don't get it?  Listen to a copy of "Live At The Regal". You'll wish you'd paid more attention before he left us.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 12:54:11 PM »
CR, No wonder you call him "Mr" King.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 05:44:03 PM »
.......Before the concert, I watched as Mr. King ate half a tuna sandwich, washed it down with a pint of brown whiskey,  and followed that with a bottle of red wine...........

If I'm not mistaken B.B. King was a diabetic. Booze is a big no, no. Still and all he made it to 89.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 10:09:59 PM »
He had diabetes and high blood pressure. He supposedly had a series of strokes because of the diabetes and that's what killed him. Time to go to YouTube and hear some more of his music.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk