Author Topic: "Deadly force" used physical assault  (Read 3926 times)

nosimij

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Deadly force" used physical assault
« on: May 11, 2015, 11:59:08 AM »
This question is to Mike J. and Marty.

The "Mobility Kill" is it an escalation to deadly force?  I forget which episode I think it was the buddy aid with the door ding in the parking lot.  The bad guy went down then the mobility kill shot to the knee and or ankle was given and I had to ask the question.  It was not addressed in the end segment with Marty and I wish it had been.  As I recall my military, late 80s, causing a broken bone is an injury classed as deadly force.

The all-knowing (he says with sarcasm dripping from his voice) Wikipedia says the following.
Deadly force, as defined by the United States Armed Forces, is the force which a person uses, causing—or that a person knows, or should know, would create a substantial risk of causing—death, serious bodily harm, or injury.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadly_force

Wiki goes on to further define "Serious Bodily Harm but it is referenced in non US law.

What concerns me is the use of this kind of force to permit escape when a fire arm is not warranted.  I will have to add that to a list of items to discuss with a lawyer here in Ohio to get the local read on this but since it bothered me I thought you might provide a wide angle view of the topic or possible include it in a future episode.

I do love the show and as a family we find it to be a good conversation starter.  Keep up the good work and keep raising the bar.  I can say that I do not see anything in this caliber elsewhere.

Thank you
DDJ

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "Deadly force" used physical assault
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 06:46:04 PM »
My take from years of reading Masad Ayoob, watching OC, reading, listening, training, guarding "sensitive" items for Uncle Sam is that when confronted with "imminent danger of grievous bodily harm or death" deadly force is "authorized".  We don't shoot to kill, we shoot to stop the threat.  I've seen video of numerous cases, and read even more, of mortally wounded bad guys still trying to kill good guys.  Take them out of the fight or take the fight out of them-both require judgement and if you're wrong you or someone you love could pay the ultimate price.  So I am prepared to error on the side of caution.  YMMV
He who dares wins.  SAS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk