Author Topic: Anyone use 'chisels' for stitch holes?  (Read 3988 times)

DT Guy

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Anyone use 'chisels' for stitch holes?
« on: April 29, 2015, 06:29:08 PM »
Hi,

Just found this place, and very glad I did!

I'm going to try my hand at a few leather holster and mag pouches (years since I have done any leather, but I do lots of Kydex), and noticed a variety of chisels offered for punching stitch holes.

I've always done them by drill in the past, and though the chisels looked like they may make a neater and quicker job of getting the stitch holes done; is anyone using them?

If not, I'd love to hear suggestions for speeding up hand-stitching (well, I like the stitching, but don't really like the drilling... :) )

Thanks,

Larry

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
Re: Anyone use 'chisels' for stitch holes?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 09:16:03 PM »
I am with leather tools, like Michael Bane is with a Dremel Tool.  Very crude to say the least.

I use a hand punch for making holes in belts.  Not quite the same as a chisel, though you can think of it as a single hole chisel.   It makes for very neat holes with very clean edges.    I always put either a piece of soft pine 2x4 or another piece of leather underneath my work.

Other than some kits, my best work was an original carry case/holster for my PPK.  Used it for almost 20 years.  Sadly it's gone now and I don't have any pictures.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Very Active Forum Member
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Anyone use 'chisels' for stitch holes?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 11:02:49 AM »
Myself, I use a diamond awl when I hand stitch. Its blade is very short though, at probably only 1" long. Easy to control when its that short.
Welcome to the page!
Also, check out the Cascity Leather Shop sister page. http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,57.0.html
DM
Proprietor of Plum Creek Leather Works - Old West Gunleather
http://www.freewebs.com/daltonmasterson/plumcreekleatherworks.htm
Friend of www.runniron.com
SASS #51139L
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk