Author Topic: Pat Condell - We have a democracy problem  (Read 5732 times)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Pat Condell - We have a democracy problem
« on: April 22, 2015, 12:30:06 PM »
He speaks specifically to the UK, but just as valid for the US

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

Re: Pat Condell - We have a democracy problem
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 12:57:30 PM »
Democracy is nothing more than "mob rule". If 51% percent of the mob can be convinced to scream for something like slavery (for an example) then the blacks go back into chains.
That's why the founders tried to build a Republic ruled by laws instead.
The Constitution is not meant to be "democratic", it was simply meant to screw as few people as possible while laying the groundwork for a governable nation.
But, as Franklin feared, the sheep were to dumb and lazy to keep it.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 03:54:31 PM »
Democracy is nothing more than "mob rule". If 51% percent of the mob can be convinced to scream for something like slavery (for an example) then the blacks go back into chains.
That's why the founders tried to build a Republic ruled by laws instead.
The Constitution is not meant to be "democratic", it was simply meant to screw as few people as possible while laying the groundwork for a governable nation.
But, as Franklin feared, the sheep were to dumb and lazy to keep it.

Agreed.  The first test of what need to be done is not if the majority want it, but is it Constitutional.

It was continuing to vote for politicians who failed to keep their promises (Constitutional ones) after being elected.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 06:04:00 AM »
All America's problems are based on 4 major flaws in the Constitution.
#1 The assumption that offices would be sought by "honorable men of good character" concerned with the best interests of the country.
#2 The assumption that voters would inform themselves and vote for what was best for the country.
#3 Not making the "Property requirement" a specific qualification for voting therefore depriving the producers of their control over the use of their tax dollars and placing control of the nations wealth in the hands of those who do not generate any of it.
#4 Structuring the amendments as a "bill of rights" when it would have been more effective as a bill of obligations.
 (EXAMPLES, The people have the "right" of a Free Press, should be an obligation to be truthful Brian Williams and any anti gunner comes to mind, 2nd Amendment says "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." It SHOULD read "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the obligation of the people to keep and bear arms shall be enforced". )

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 06:54:40 AM »
I agree Tom. Much of the wording in the Constitution was pi$$ poorly done, and stirs up too much unnecessary controversy. (The Second Amendment is a perfect example.) It could have been made clearer. Especially if they would have had the foresight to realize the nation was going to descend into a bunch of lazy, government pandering idiots in less than 250 years. Things like this always change for the worse. Especially if the government is the one who is constantly trying to "improve" it.

If one looks at it in that type of context, it's amazing we are still allowed to own ANY firearms. All it will take to completely erode what's left, are 2 or 3 more liberal Supreme Court Justices. If the Hildabeast gets in, you'll get them.

All 9 of these assholes don't "interpret" anything. They simply try to the best of their own abilities, to drive their own personal belief's and agendas. Every Presidential administration tries to corrupt the Supreme Court with people who will drive their agenda the best and the fastest. Every now and then one sneaks in under the radar. (John Roberts with the Obama Care ruling.) It has become nothing more than pot luck how the court goes on many of these issues. Watching Supreme Court Justice nominations has become much like watching a kid pick out a new puppy dog.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:44:11 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 07:15:19 AM »
The biggest problem is that the Constitution is a politically motivated compromise document, settled on by some of the exact type of scum bags we damn today. Just because some one was at the Constitutional convention does not mean he wasn't a POS, several of the Va, NY and NJ delegates were no better than a Clinton.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 869
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 07:48:28 AM »
There are reasons our Founding Fathers worded the Constitution the way they did and organized our government the way they did.  Some are working, and some have fallen as unqualified have taken office.

Gridlock within the process was intended.  The Founding Fathers did not want hundreds of Bills per year, and they did not want haste in the process - Both of which we suffer from today;

They did not want career politicians.  It was intended that people would come together, take care of the issues, and return to their families and real careers;

They did not want people seeking office.  They wanted people with skills being identified, nominated and elected.  Remember, George Washington reluctantly took the position of President.

A full democracy was never intended.  Remember the quote when asked what we have?  "We have a Republic if we can keep it."

Our Founding Fathers were not only educated men, but they valued and promoted education.  They trusted that the voters and elected officials would be educated and moral men.  Sadly, we are seeing the illiterate selecting our officials and policies.  Imagine what our Founding Fathers, those 40 men who signed the Constitution, would do if they knew how close we are to the warning "Any government large enough to give you all you want is large enough to take all you have".
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk