Author Topic: Gun Owner Image  (Read 6021 times)

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gun Owner Image
« on: April 17, 2015, 06:26:29 AM »
Just an observation....
So many times I'm out or online and I'd like to get a hat, shirt, etc. I start looking at gun-oriented stuff, and 90% of it I wouldn't buy. A lot of it is cool, maybe has a nice company logo or a saying that's great or whatever, but then on the other side there's a giant AR, maybe dripping in blood, or a skull with knives, or some other obnoxious graphic that portrays a penchant for violence or, at the least, suggests that the wearer is a budding nut job.

I would love to see more tasteful gun-oriented merch that looks good and could maybe start a sane conversation with a non-gunner, and help the cause. The angry stuff is ok, but we've got too many eagles, arrows, guns skulls, bones, crosshairs, etc. and it's not helping the image.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
Re: Gun Owner Image
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 06:59:33 AM »
My Glock lanyard that I used for work keys was nice in that regard.  Non-threatening and I found a lot of shooters at work who wouldn't have come forward had they not seen the Glock logo.   I'd love a S&W one.

At one company where I worked in a 'cube land', I put a small silhouette ram on top of my cubical wall and found some fellow IHMSA shooters that way.

I think we do need to, in a low-key, non-threatening way, identify ourselves to the public.   I've gotten nothing but positive comments.  The anti's, I guess, steer a wide birth.   But then I currently work in a VERY conservative church, where everyone owns a gun as far as I can tell.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 03:06:07 PM »
I know what you mean Jay. I hardly ever buy any firearm related clothing but I did pick up a nice non threatening Ruger T-shirt. I don't have any of the "flaming skull with a knife in it" type of things.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Timothy

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 04:05:29 PM »
Carhartt shirts, coats and Wrangler Jeans, a General Dynamics, Detroit Tigers and a welding company ball caps and not much more!

I did buy a small molle pack for a one/two day BOB recently.  That's my first tacticool anything....it's jet black though so you can't see the molle straps unless you're sitting with it in your lap..

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 06:57:12 PM »
I have a closet full of T-shirts from the matches I shot in my younger years, most from the same period I taught public high school, and many have never been worn.... I do wear ball caps, from matches like the Ft Benning 3 gun that are clearly marked US Army Marksmanship Unit, and am proud to wear the "Delta" marked North Carolina Tactical match shirts, but unless you know what it is, you haven't a clue... Sure Fire hats, Trijicon and LaRue Tactical "sniper" bumper sticker is about it, along with an American flag decal... of course the Romney/Ryan sticker is still there....

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:55:25 AM »

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 07:26:30 PM »
I pass on most stuff unless it's free!  We used to wait until the last afternoon of the NRA convention and pick up a lot of stuff free.  The company people gave it away rather than have to pack it up and send it back!

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 01:08:46 PM »
The only "gun" decals on my truck is an NRA Life decal....which says "gun guy" but doesn't really advertise that there may be a target for theft like the Glock and Ruger decals I removed several years ago.

As for clothing, I wear Browning caps mostly (most places don't sell clothing to fit my girth, I wear a size larger than normal for CCW reasons), but so does 2/3 of every other guy in south Ga. I think I still have a Bushnell cap that has a Glock hat pin stuck in it. I have a couple of caps with the range/club name of my good friend's former public (now private) shooting range.
I use Craftsman and Harbor Freight tool bags for range gear and bug-out-bags, and don't have any tacticool gear other than a black AR rifle case I got for Christmas a few years ago.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 04:39:53 PM »
Wake up and smell the stats. You no longer represent "average gun owners".
This does.
https://www.facebook.com/GunsandLace

http://www.womenshooters.com/

http://www.acclaimsubscriptions.com/usa/magazines/women-and-guns.php

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=women+and+guns&qpvt=women+and+guns&qpvt=women+and+guns&FORM=IGRE

It's a blessing.  I don't think any thing will do more to insure the continued preservation of the 2A than the many women who are becoming advocates.

I follow several women shooters on FB and Twitter, including Our Own Red  :D.

Many are getting into competition and doing very well.

It has been an under represented demographic in gun ownership and it will only broaden (no pun intended) our support base.

Some remarkable women out there....all to young for me  :(
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 06:05:19 AM »
And it makes ranges a hell of a lot more scenic !  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk