Author Topic: Scopes for my AR  (Read 4929 times)

sbubrick

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Scopes for my AR
« on: April 01, 2015, 12:35:18 AM »
Due to the prodding from Michael Bane's podcast over the years I purchased a Sig-Sauer 516 Patrol FDE.
I have ben shooting the snot out of it since I purchased last summer. Mainly punching holes in paper. Some of the latest podcasts including this weeks. He has recommended getting a scope. Looking for suggestions. This is is used for target shooting and in home defense.

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
Re: Scopes for my AR
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 09:23:21 AM »
Consider a red dot. I really like the products from Lucid (not a sponsor). Their products that I have handled are excellent and very reasonably prices. I have an HD-7 on my Tavor.

Obviously, the Aimpoint Minis are the state of the art. You pay lot for the state of the art, though. (sponsor)

MTAC from Burris (a sponsor, BTW)…I have 2, and they are some of the finest scopes I've worked with. Their 1-4x is one of my workhorses, and the 1.5-6X will be on my 3-gun JP/Ruger this season.

Not a sponsor, but good friends, Leupold's Mark AR MOD 1.5-4X illuminated is an incredible value scope. I used it last week on my JP 9mm in the local carbine match. I was the only shooter to shoot clean.

mb
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

sbubrick

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 11:21:00 PM »
Thanks for your input, I will be looking into these. I bought a mini red dot from Sig right after I bought the AR.
We almost met after the Shot Show, when "Michael buys the beer" but after 4 days of shot I was dead ass tired on day 4 and left the show about 2:30. I live in Vegas and just to tired to drive back to the strip at 5.

Herknav

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 11:51:35 AM »
I've been looking hard at the Leupold 1.25-4x or the 1.5-5x. I'm reading conflicting reports of their usability without true 1x capability. I either hear it's "slower than irons" or "the cat's meow" for a recce AR. I take it you're in the latter camp?

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 12:08:05 PM »
Thanks for the info Michael.  Am just starting down the road to a tacitcal/competition carbine and will also be looking out for optics soon.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:30:32 AM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 06:47:39 AM »
Alf did you come up with anything?

I have the MTAC 1.5x6...I'd prefer to have a 1.0 x 6 but they don't make it. Oh, I got the 1.5 x 6 because the 42mm objective to catch more light so a 1 x 5 or 6 would be great with a 42mm light bucket on the end. 

I ran it in a Vickers carbine class a couple of years ago and really liked that the reticle had 100 yard increments to 600 yards...+/- 10 yards but easy to master.  Vickers stresses accuracy and I was quickly and easily pinging head shots at 300 yards with the MTAC. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 08:04:24 AM »
Rastus, thanks for asking and bringing this post back up to the top. 

I'm slowly accumulating parts.  Missing right now is the barrel.  Maybe in a week or two. 

Then the sight.  Re-reading MB's recommendations, I'm between the MTAC and the Lucid.   Initially, I'll probably put on some red dot I have around here.  Either an early Burris Fastfire or a Millet red dot tube.  Neither the best for this application, but I have them and until I get a better feel for what's needed they'll do.

At my new range I have to get "certified," checked out, to use rifles on the Action Pistol ranges.  Mainly a 15 minute review of safe handling on small ranges.  Looks like I'll probably have the tactical rifle ready to go about the time I'm qualified to practice with it.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk