Author Topic: GLOCK MODS? WHY SO MANY?  (Read 3305 times)

D.R. Middlebrooks

• Active Forum Member
    • Tactical Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
GLOCK MODS? WHY SO MANY?
« on: February 03, 2015, 07:59:02 AM »
DR, why so many Glock mods? Afterall I thought it was 'perfection' right?  :-\

Well, I get questions like this ALL the time. So much so I decided to make a video explaining the reasons for some of the most popular Glock mods I do. 8)

Hopefully this vid will help those interested to understand the reasons why I offer the mods. Enjoy!  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK6FOoXm9tk

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: GLOCK MODS? WHY SO MANY?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 11:29:41 PM »
Nice vid D.R.
Would love to have some frame work done like that but my recent interest in GSSF means no frame mods for now.  REALLY like the idea of the flattened back grip mod making the grip angle less pronounced and the higher cut under the trigger guard.
My 'Real Poor Mans Next Best Thing' was to add a GripForce adapter which makes the grip a bit fatter at the top and using a Hogue sleeve to put the finger grooves in the right spot. (I've got big fingers/hands)
Adding the small beavertail to my gen3s lets me get as high a grip as possible too w/o the slide tickling me. With the gen4, I use the large bearvertail backstrap and put a Hogue sleeve on that.   
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

santahog

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 03:55:12 PM »
I saw the question and "Mustang" immediately came to mind..
"Because you can?".. The only thing I want of mine is to paint it white to match my T-shirt. I have small hands so anything bigger than a 17 is a little to big to sit consistently well in my hand.
With friends like these, who needs hallucinations!..

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 09:30:52 AM »
I put Glock into much the same category as the Remington 700, AR-15's, Ruger 10/.22's, and the 350 Chevy. Because of their popularity, they've developed a huge aftermarket. People who own them want to modify them in a way that sets them apart from all of the rest out there.

The difference is I doubt any of the modifications improve performance the way it does on the others I've mentioned. In fact, I think several of the Glock modifications out there can actually degrade performance. Speaking only for myself, it seems every time I'm at the range and I see a problematic Glock, it is most always one that has been modified in some way. Of course cosmetic changes like stippling and sight changes aren't going to effect performance. It's only when people start messing with the internals. I for one have had it proven to me Glock got it right the first time. That's why all 6 of mine are box stock.

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 12:53:34 PM »
I agree with Bill in principle, but the ability to personalize increases the sales appeal of any item.
Which is why the AR "Leggo rifle" is the current favorite in the US.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:57:15 AM »

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 11:19:18 AM »
My Glock 27 is essentially stock, the way God intended. 

I changed to a ghost ring sight, and added a Pearce extender to the magazine giving me an extra 3 rounds, and a more comfortable place to place my pinkie.

The ghost ring was added because somehow, when I wasn't looking, I got old and my eyesight went a little south.

The mag extension was for essentially the same reason:  I'm old and I may need a few extra shots to hit what I used to with a simple double-tap.  And I never liked waving my little finger around as if I were having tea with the queen.

Other than those two mini-mods, changes have been limited to holsters.

FWIW

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 04:00:40 PM »
It took much longer than ARs, but the 1911 has in the last 20 or so years seem to have caught up in terms of customizing.  Probably in ways JMB probably never dreamed.    I mean it was is touted by many as "perfect" as well.   And it must be a really hot  business, because Bronwnell's just mailed me a hard copy catalog of about ~100 pages or so of nothing but 1911 parts and pieces.

Sure you could always swap the arched main spring house for a flat one.  And change the stock trigger for the skeleton one, but now you can, like the AR, buy a frame and separate slide, and custom make your own from scratch.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 02:55:53 PM »
Glock mods and their advantages, esp. the triggers/springs/barrels provide a benefit in relation to the users ability to use the difference.
Unless you have felt a racegun trigger, you have no frame of reference to how much reduced overtravel, fast reset and crisp letoff really affects how the trigger handles. (think GI 1911 vs Gold Cup)
A highly modified trigger may not help me much but in the hands of someone with real skills like Tori Nonaka or JJ Racaza,  it would be night and day.

If you can't shoot a Glock at a high level you would be in the category I'm in. I do OK but I don't harbor any dreams that I'll be any kind of Master or near Master level shooter in any discipline.
When I change out some internals though, even I can REALLY tell the difference in the trigger.
Is my carry gun factory? Yes.
Do I play with different stuff in my range guns? Yes.
When done within reason and passing the required tests, they also run 100%.

You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk