Author Topic: Buzzing My House For The Last 3 Days  (Read 12767 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
Re: Buzzing My House For The Last 3 Days
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 05:00:57 AM »
Believe it or not, our county's little fart of an airport is a regular stopover for several blimps.

Must be on blimp's great circle route from Miami to Dallas.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 05:05:24 AM »
You guys have fun watching the airborne stuff.   Scanner buffs should have a field day with just the FAA radio traffic.

At one of my part time jobs I worked for concessions vendor for the Atlanta Braves.  (I was just a cook.)   When they hosted the World Series ions ago, I could always tell when it was 5:55 because the blimps and helos would start buzzing the stadium for their 6pm live shots for the nightly news.
Will work for ammo

Shoot the guns of history

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 10:48:33 AM »
actually the scanner buffs will have very little to listen to as the airspace around the stadium is off limits to all but a few aircraft. One of the selling points of the stadiums location was how close it is from a airport, less than 2 miles, yet during events the airport is shut down due to airspace restrictions. The airport should be packed with jets, yet most go to Scottsdale, DeerValley, Goodyear.

Grizzle_Bear

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 12:53:10 PM »
In September of 1971, I enlisted in the Coast Guard, and went to boot camp in Alameda, California.  Alameda was also the winter home of the Goodyear blimps.  They were always buzzing around.

Late one day, we are out learning to march, and one of the blimps made a really, REALLY low pass
right over the grinder.  Our company commander, Chief Quartermaster Reed, must have gotten
tired of yelling "Eyes FRONT!" whenever the blimps were around.  He halted us, and shouts "Eyes UP! Now look at the Goddamned thing!"

He gave us about a minute, and then it was "Eyes FRONT!" again and back to work........

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 02:18:44 PM »
actually the scanner buffs will have very little to listen to as the airspace around the stadium is off limits to all but a few aircraft.

Ah, but those "few" (?) aircraft will include the Blimps, possibly some other news helos, and all manner of LEO craft patrolling the area.   And since FAA traffic is not encrypted, listening to them keep out of each other's way will make for good listening. 
Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:32:05 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 04:33:02 PM »
Ah, but those "few" (?) aircraft will include the Blimps, possibly some other news helos, and all manner of LEO craft patrolling the area.   And since FAA traffic is not encrypted, listening to them keep out of each other's way will make for good listening.

Don't forget all of the banner aircraft. They've been everywhere the past few days. They fly so damn slow, they look like they're about ready to fall out of the sky.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 07:03:54 PM »
We live about 15 min. from the blimp hangers near Akron.  See them all the time!  High, low, far and near.  One of the schools for special needs kids holds an auction once a year at which time they have a lot of neat stuff to action.  One is a blimp ride.  My wife has bid on it for me but since it's for charity she can't come close to affording it.....until she hits the lottery!  LOL

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Shoot the guns of history

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 01:39:34 PM »
been busy the last hour, 3 passes by the thunderchickens, now the Goodyear blimp, 3 banner tow planes and something I had not seen before, a helicopter towing a banner.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 03:00:35 PM »
They're really out in force considering the crummy weather.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk