Author Topic: The Next Build  (Read 33300 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
Re: The Next Build
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2015, 06:35:59 AM »
I'm trying to kick the habit.  I'm a pretty steady once a week, but the voices in my head are saying, "Go twice a week.  Go twice a week.  What can it hurt?"    Oh the sacrifices I have to make.

Hey brother, can you spare a buck fifty for another target?
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2015, 08:35:35 AM »
Listen to the voices !  ;D

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2015, 02:36:25 PM »
Ah.  Looked what I got in now.    Spare gas rings and a steel Levang comp.  (Speaking of marketing, why doesn't DPMS stamp their name on this comp?  No markings whatsoever.)

Ran it today.  60 rounds no hickups.   Whewwwww.  I put a Surefire red dot on top just so I had something other than the rail to aim with.  The comp directs all the blast out front so the fore end stays cool. 

Now I'm down to the sights.   Still haven't found what I want, but will keep looking.   When I get the sights  I'll take a final picture.
Will work for ammo

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2015, 09:49:27 AM »
Cool, Alf....that's the one I want.
One thing I like is the fact that it doesn't have to be 'indexed' to the barrel.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2015, 01:04:26 PM »
The DPMS Levang comp is back in stock at the stores. 

Here's a hasty picture of the pistol.  The Levang is almost out flush with the end of the fore end.  You can grip the fore end almost out to the end without worrying about muzzle blast.   yes it is loud and creates a bright flash, but for an indoor pistol I look upon it as a flash-bang assault on the attacker.   With this gun, the saying is,  what doesn't kill you will make you blind and deaf.

I put a little LocTite on it and hand tightened it.   It would be nice if there were flats, but I have pretty strong hands.   

Sorry about the color.  I'll correct that later.

Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 10:20:40 PM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2015, 04:30:11 PM »
I think I'd be considering a LASER sight for that one.

It is small enough to be very maneuverable but a tad on the big side to be readily brought to eye level in all situations.

LASER will put your front sight on the target without limiting your field of view.  Might be pretty handy for out of position shots in close quarters.

And a LASER does  not mean you can't have iron sights too.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2015, 08:13:15 PM »
As much as I'm not thrilled with depending on electronics, I've been leaning towards a laser for this one.  As I tested it yesterday with the red dot, it was awkward to bring the rig up to eye level.   Of course, inside the house, I doubt if I would be using aimed fire.
Will work for ammo

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2015, 02:00:16 PM »
As much as I'm not thrilled with depending on electronics, I've been leaning towards a laser for this one.  As I tested it yesterday with the red dot, it was awkward to bring the rig up to eye level.   Of course, inside the house, I doubt if I would be using aimed fire.

Exactly, but even with a LASER you could have iron backup.  AND you would have very good aimed fire without bringing the gun to anywhere except in alignment with the target...you would also be able to see were you were gonna hit.

The LASER is acting as an extension of the muzzle.  It would be like putting the muzzle of a LONG barrel against the target.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2015, 06:07:20 AM »
[/b][/color]

You BETTER be using aimed fire, you take out the china cabinet and Mrs. Alf will make you wish the burglar got you !      ;D

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2015, 07:52:22 AM »
Slow but almost there.   Tested functioning,again with another couple of dozen rounds,  video to follow once I get it edited.

Bit the bullet (boo, hiss, poor pun) and bought a Streamlight TLR-4 light/laser combo.   I have a TLR-2, light only on my shotgun.  Paid a bit more, $140, than I could have gotten it at Cabela's but it was instant gratification and 30 miles less driving.    I like Streamlight products.  I don't like remote feely-touchy switches, so this is perfect for me.    Lasers take practice.  If they're not on target, if you can't see them on target, you tend to waste time trying to spot the dot.  And for a close quarters situation, you need to be firing, not trying to find the red dot.

Here's the target at 15 yards.

Fun, fun.

Have ordered a high viability, fiber optic sight, meant for shotguns, but I think I can adapt it to a picatinny rail.  Only $25, so we'll see.   Worst case is I put it on my shotgun.

BUT THE WHOLE PURPOSE of this project was for home defense.  So I moved in that direction today, by mounting it inside my clothes closet.   Up out of the way, but convenient.  Not obvious to anyone perusing the room, even just glancing in my closet. 

It's hung with one of the hangers a local entrepreneur is selling.  Works well in this case.

Here's the link for the hanger.  Called Vertical Gun Rack, it works quite well horizontally:
 http://www.verticalgunracks.com/index.html
Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk