Author Topic: The Next Build  (Read 33303 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: The Next Build
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2015, 12:39:28 PM »
I would think the biggest issue with a .22 LR brake on a .223 would be pressure. The .223 runs 55,000 to 60,000 PSI. I don't know what a .22 LR comes in at, but my guess is a hell of a lot lower than that. An Aluminum brake meant for a .22 LR might get real loose, real fast on a .223.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2015, 12:51:47 PM »
I would think the biggest issue with a .22 LR brake on a .223 would be pressure. The .223 runs 55,000 to 60,000 PSI. I don't know what a .22 LR comes in at, but my guess is a hell of a lot lower than that. An Aluminum brake meant for a .22 LR might get real loose, real fast on a .223.

Might be, but so far ~60 rounds no problem, yet. ;)    DPMS comps are backordered, even at the DPMS store, so this one is all I got for now.  Another $25 experiment.     Not going be shooting 3 gun or Rattle Battle with it, so long term round count will be fairly low.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2015, 01:11:47 PM »
Consider the heat.  The more powerful charge may well affect the aluminum much more than a .22 LR load.  Could be "cutting" the brake?
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2015, 10:34:15 AM »
[Catching up with life after my vaca to Italia. ]

No secret here, I've had trouble getting this thing to run.  Put in a new spring from Brownell's and it still wouldn't cycle all the way.  Strange.   

In the meantime, I visited a gun shop/range which my middle son haunts and was pleased to see they had reasonably price AR components.  Bought a 7-1/2 inch barrel.  Like that's going to cure my problem, ha.  But it is what I wanted lengthwise.  With the right muzzle brake it will fill the foreend.   Here it is with the A2 muzzle break. 

And it ran pretty good for about 20 rounds.  Then the bolt froze in the BCG.  Dis-assembled (sorry Johnny 5), made safe and took it home.   With a wooden dowel I was able to get the BCG out and stripped.  Here's what I found.

Either a poor quality or poorly installed ring.  THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD REALLY "RING OUT" a gun before relying on it.   Re-assembled with the two remaining rings and I think that may have been the source of my problem all along.   The BCG operates so much smoother and easier now.   Have place an order for a dozen rings.   I might have to check my bugout kit, spare parts box, there might be one in there.  Before you caution me, I'll wait until I get three new rings in before I try to fire it.

SO:  Also the LeVang comp is back in stock and I ordered it, too.  This is the real DPMS one for an AR.    Eveyone can rest easy that I'm going to blow out the .22lr ones.    With the A2 comp I found it started to get a little warm out toward the end of the foreend.  (Imagine that.)  So this will direct all the blast towards the front.

More to come.  I'll get this puppy running right eventually.   Just got to find the right sights. 

Will work for ammo

tombogan03884

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2015, 01:50:29 PM »
Are you sure you are not having gas pressure issues ?

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 01:10:35 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2015, 05:03:58 PM »
I have a one-piece bolt ring in one of my ARs but I haven't shot it yet. It spirals around and looks like it will work better than 3 rings but I don't know. Has anyone else tried this? http://www.midwayusa.com/product/163933/dpms-bolt-gas-ring-mcfarland-1-piece-ar-15

P.S. I see that it's getting mixed reviews but most are positive.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2015, 10:16:03 PM »
Jumbo... a good friend designed the bolt enhancement kit for the M4 which includes a 4 loop McFarland continuous ring...along with an ejector spring of specialized steel, and the 1/8"  butyl"O" ring for the extractor... have had parts of it in my game gun since 1995....the kit was designed to decrease failure rate due to full auto fire from the M4 where the small diameter ejector spring might fail due to excessive heat... I shoot inexpensive Russian ammo for local matches, and the installation of the continuous ring caused reliability problems... I could shoot only about 75 rounds before the rifle would stop working... I had to replace it with a standard 3 ring system.... YMMV

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2015, 11:02:17 PM »
Thanks Les. I don't know when I'll ever get around to shooting it but if I have problems with it I'll switch back too.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2015, 02:48:59 PM »
Are you sure you are not having gas pressure issues ?

Nope.  Not sure, but I am sure I have a bad ring.  Whether it was damaged before installation, poorly installed, damaged during installation or mangled inside the gun because of pressure issues, I don't know.   I tend to think it has been damaged all along.  It finally wedged itself between the bolt and BCG and jam the bolt altogether.  I'll fix this and install the new comp and back to the range again. 

Will work for ammo

tombogan03884

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2015, 05:54:29 AM »
Nope.  Not sure, but I am sure I have a bad ring.  Whether it was damaged before installation, poorly installed, damaged during installation or mangled inside the gun because of pressure issues, I don't know.   I tend to think it has been damaged all along.  It finally wedged itself between the bolt and BCG and jam the bolt altogether.  I'll fix this and install the new comp and back to the range again. 

The sacrifices you have to make in the name of research.   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk