Author Topic: Remington Outdoor Co $1B in debt  (Read 4011 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: Remington Outdoor Co $1B in debt
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 06:52:14 PM »
I have a bad feeling Remington will be the first of many firearms manufacturers who will see financial trouble in the next upcoming months. This gun glut is only going to get worse. Sales have been too good for too long to allow for any more "banner years" in gun sales.

Add to that anti gun legislation is all but assured to be dead, especially after the Republicans take over the Senate next year. We all thought the worst after Hussein got elected in 2008. Then again after the Newtown shootings. Nothing happened. The worst was in Colorado, and they recalled their troublemakers, and gave them the boot. Between all the guns that have already sold, and gun control pretty much a dead issue, gun sales are going to diminish further, as people finally slip out of the panic mode most have been operating in during the last 6 years.

Ammo is coming back to regular availability and prices as well. It's time for things to settle down. Guys like us will keep coming back for more, but we're the minority. Gun companies count on new blood, and that has pretty well dried up. At least for the time being. I sure hope I'm wrong about all of this, but regardless of how you approach it, it looks like a lot of gun companies are in for a dry spell.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 10:39:35 AM »
I have a bad feeling Remington will be the first of many firearms manufacturers who will see financial trouble in the next upcoming months. This gun glut is only going to get worse. Sales have been too good for too long to allow for any more "banner years" in gun sales.

Add to that anti gun legislation is all but assured to be dead, especially after the Republicans take over the Senate next year. We all thought the worst after Hussein got elected in 2008. Then again after the Newtown shootings. Nothing happened. The worst was in Colorado, and they recalled their troublemakers, and gave them the boot. Between all the guns that have already sold, and gun control pretty much a dead issue, gun sales are going to diminish further, as people finally slip out of the panic mode most have been operating in during the last 6 years.

Ammo is coming back to regular availability and prices as well. It's time for things to settle down. Guys like us will keep coming back for more, but we're the minority. Gun companies count on new blood, and that has pretty well dried up. At least for the time being. I sure hope I'm wrong about all of this, but regardless of how you approach it, it looks like a lot of gun companies are in for a dry spell.

Wrong on so many levels.

1. The grabbers are moving to the states, sort of giving up on the Federal level for now.
2. The CO wankers may have been outed but the law still stands and Magpul is still in WY and TX. So how did that work out well for the people in CO?
3. I'm sorry, but what kind of moron trusts the Pubbies in kongress these days? About anything? Even with the influx of Tea Party types, the jackasses in power will control the agenda. If you doubt this, try working in an entrepreneur-run company to see how changing that works.

As for the gun glut, yeah, tough times ahead. And do not believe for a second that our blood enemies will not take advantage of every economic woe to ruin the gun companies further

Do not drop your guard for even a second. These people are our blood enemies, not because we want to be be so or because we have made them so. They are - and remain - our blood enemies simply because they have made themselves so.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 12:43:47 PM »
+1 Path.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 01:34:50 PM »
I am still reading the book Future Of The Gun, and a fact pointed out in the book is that these high sales rates are not due entirely to Pres. BHO.  The point to facts, and I looked at the reference, that this actually began in 2006.  In looking at the activities of government over the years there will be two items that can kill the gun sales:  1.  Economy - Not enough money to purchase; 2.  Manufacturer shortage - Can't sell what you don't have;  OK, 3.  Government bans and infringements.

If any manufacturer, especially as large and diversified as Remington Outdoor, is in trouble after eight years of good market economy, they need to look at their own internal management!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:34:07 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 02:23:00 PM »
The grabbers are moving to the states, sort of giving up on the Federal level for now.

They've always been at the state level. What's changed? If you are willing to live in a progressive state, (Illinois, New York, California), your going to get all the anti crap that goes along with it, period. It's been like that for decades. When did New York pass the Sullivan Law?

The CO wankers may have been outed but the law still stands and Magpul is still in WY and TX. So how did that work out well for the people in CO?

This is what happens when you allow liberals into what once was a conservative state. California is your best example. In the 60's when the Republicans ran it, it wasn't bad. Now it's a disaster zone. You are right that it's easier for a state to turn over before the Feds do. But even then it's not easy.

Did anyone actually think we would get through 6 years of Hussein without ANY gun control? Yet here we are. The first 2 years from 2008 to 2010 he had both Houses and accomplished nothing gun control wise. Do you actually think he will in the next 2? I'm not saying anyone should, "let their guard down". But we can stop living in a panic mode, and people are. Gun control has been very toxic for the Dems. Don't think they don't look at Colorado and pause. Those people train wrecked what could have been lucrative political careers by pushing gun control. It's been all risk with no reward. Feinstein couldn't even get her Assault Weapons Ban brought up for a vote in the Democratic controlled House. Do you think anything will happen with the Republicans in charge? It won't.

Democrats are the party of gun banning. The Republicans are not. Yes, we have a few bad apples in the Republican Party. But gun control is not a plank in the Republican platform. Never was, isn't now, and for sure won't be in the future. Look at every major gun control law presently on the books going all the way back to the National Firearms Act of 1934. Every one was introduced by, passed in committee by, and voted into law by....Democrats. The fact is they now control nothing but the current lame duck Presidency.

As far as his Executive Orders, where did that go? Remember when he made Biden his "Point Man" for gun control after Newtown? More nothing. Six years ago like many, I thought we were doomed. It all amounted to nothing. This with the most communistic President in this nations history. Now with his approval rating in the toilet, and Republicans in control of both Houses, there is little to worry about. In 2016 that could change, but not for the time being.

I'm sorry, but what kind of moron trusts the Pubbies in kongress these days? About anything? Even with the influx of Tea Party types, the jackasses in power will control the agenda.

Anti Second Amendment legislation is not in the Republican agenda. Never has been. Anti gun Republicans don't last long. I'm not saying we should "drop our guard". But I'm through worrying about things that aren't going to happen.

The tide is turning on gun control. More people approve of gun ownership than ever before in modern times. Democrats don't like this tide, but you can bet they respect it. It's why nothing was passed. They aren't stupid. They saw what happened in Colorado, and after the passage of the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994. They don't want that taste in their mouths again. It's too hard and costly to wash out. I honestly don't think this President cares about anything any more. He wants out more than we want him out.

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 08:55:53 AM »
Some things to consider, 1, it's the NYT, they are ALWAYS going to put a negative spin on any gun article, it's their editorial policy.
2, "Debt" is everything they owe, if you "owe" money on a new dump truck it doesn't mean your not making a profit with it, it just means it's not paid for yet, such as the new facilities Remington has been building and acquiring outside of NY.
3, Remington Outdoors is not just Remington  Arms, that's only a small portion of what was formerly  "Freedom Group" including an ammo company (Barnes ?) Blackhawk, and all the other companies that Remington and Freedom group have bought up over the last 10 years.
I would not worry to much about their financial stability, profits may be down from the records they were setting, but the are still making profits, not losses.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 02:15:22 PM »
Some things to consider, 1, it's the NYT, they are ALWAYS going to put a negative spin on any gun article, it's their editorial policy.
2, "Debt" is everything they owe, if you "owe" money on a new dump truck it doesn't mean your not making a profit with it, it just means it's not paid for yet, such as the new facilities Remington has been building and acquiring outside of NY.
3, Remington Outdoors is not just Remington  Arms, that's only a small portion of what was formerly  "Freedom Group" including an ammo company (Barnes ?) Blackhawk, and all the other companies that Remington and Freedom group have bought up over the last 10 years.
I would not worry to much about their financial stability, profits may be down from the records they were setting, but the are still making profits, not losses.

Good points, Tom.

Debt is only one side of the ledger.  If the Assets side shows 7B, I'd say they are in good shape.

I doubt theirs will say 7B, but without knowing what it says, we have no way of making a judgement on the 1B debt.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 02:30:30 PM »
Here's what Remington has to say about it.

(Sorry, it's a PDF, nothing I can do about that )

http://www.freedom-group.com/FreedomGroup2012_10-K.pdf

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 06:18:21 PM »
Debt is only one side of the ledger.  If the Assets side shows 7B, I'd say they are in good shape.

A lot of corporations are worth more dead than alive. There is a market for buying companies, chopping them up, and selling off the assets. These guys make millions doing this. Like the guy Richard Gere played in "Pretty Woman".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk