Author Topic: New Walther PPQ M2 or Used Sig P229 (9 mm)  (Read 7161 times)

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Walther PPQ M2 or Used Sig P229 (9 mm)
« on: November 27, 2014, 12:13:54 PM »
Sorry I'm going to be a little all over the place with this post, but could use some advice.

For Christmas I would like to get a 9mm handgun to complete our gun battery at home. My favorite guns I have fired are Sigs (have fired a P226, P239, and P229). The 229 seems like the best balance of weight, capacity, and size. I did not spend much time figuring out all the ways to set it up to fire (SA/DA), and am primarily drawn to it because it is comfortable in my hand and has very low perceived recoil.

Although I have no immediate plans to concealed carry, a friend said I should consider a handgun which would also be comfortable to carry outside the home. Although i have no immediate plans for this I guess I'll consider the possibility. I have tried several polymer guns including the CZ P07, Glock 19, and the M&P Shield. Of these the only one I liked shooting was the shield (for whatever reason, the CZ and Glock grips don't suit me). However the Shield fails one other requirement I have which is the option to add a suppressor (others have steered me away from trying with the shield). The suppressor I would only have attached while at home.

Having read about a number of other guns, the Walther PPQ M2 seems to be a real standout these days. I have no way to test-fire a PPQ, so if I purchased one it would be based on reviews, and my handling one in a store.

Any advice? Should I get a used P229 or consider a new gun like the PPQ which I have not fired?

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!  ;D

GASPASSERDELUXE

Re: New Walther PPQ M2 or Used Sig P229 (9 mm)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 12:48:15 PM »
Sig sells refurbished police trade-ins. They are inspected and any thing in the small parts dept. (springs) etc are replaced. They are also refinished. this can save you several hundred dollars off of the retail price. My first Sig was a 229 in .40. great gun, never have had any problems with it. Had 4 at one time down to 3 now.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 01:08:14 PM »
There are threaded barrel Shields out there. If that's a must have, it can be found.
If I'm going to put a can on a gun, it isn't going to be one that is small and has a limited mag capacity.
Give me FULL size and a LARGE mag. YMMV.

When I bought my first Sig I looked at a Glock too. The glock felt icky and the sig felt like they use my hand as a mold for the grip. Then more sigs came into the fold.
Then I bought a glock....and another and....
I now have more glocks than I do sigs and wish I hadn't bought the last sig and picked up 2 more glocks instead.

If you don't  want to CCW, go with the one you shoot the best and feels the best. You can still conceal full size guns it just takes a little more thought in choosing clothes and holsters.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

DanPatWork

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 03:50:19 PM »
It sounds to me that grip is the key. Not sure which Glock you tried but the gen 4 without grip addons worked best for me. There is a noticeable difference in the backstrap swell between the g26 and the g17. I can't comment on the g19 in gen4 because they are never in stock near home for me to get the deal. My 17 feels smaller in the hand versus the 26. I intend to buy a g23 and a 9mm conversion barrel now instead of the 19.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 09:53:33 PM »
I found out the HK P30 is about the same size and weight and grip as the PPQ M2, and I can rent the P30. P30 is hammer fired, though. Tomorrow I'm going to try it out.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:49:12 PM »

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 04:46:43 AM »
If you really like the P30, HK is offering a $200 mail in rebate on P30s, USPs and a couple of other models.

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 07:59:46 AM »
If you really like the P30, HK is offering a $200 mail in rebate on P30s, USPs and a couple of other models.

Yes! This brings the HK within reach. I like the idea of a manual safety and the P30 has this.

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 06:53:41 PM »
I got lucky and was able to fire a number of pistols including the P30, USP, and a couple of Sigs. It must be me, but I just don't see what all the hype is about HK. They did not feel much better than other, less expensive, guns I've fired. My accuracy is also about the same as a S&W M&P. Unsure whether this tells me anything about how a Walther might fare.

On the other hand, I feel the difference with a Sig. Every one i have tried is very solid including the P229 and the 2022 I shot yesterday. I think the 2022 is a better deal at a couple of hundred dollars less. I'll go with Sig.

Thanks for your comments.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 06:38:56 AM »
I have had a Sig 2022 in 9mm for about 8-10 years and I think it's one of the best buys on the market. It is usually WAY cheaper than other sigs and it's a really solid performer. Mine has7 or 8 thousand rounds through it I think and no new parts. It's a beast, and a good, "less expensive" house gun.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk