Author Topic: IDPA and some dissent  (Read 4943 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
IDPA and some dissent
« on: November 26, 2014, 02:10:31 PM »
The group/club that runs most of the IDPA matches around Atlanta GA is called Greater Atlanta Defensive Pistol Association (GADPA).   Under their umbrella there are 6 weekly indoor matches and a monthly outdoor match.  Having just one organization oversee these matches gives organization and cost efficiency of scale.  So far, so good.

GADPA hosted the Georgia State IDPA match and there were evidently some difficulties in working with IDPA national HQ.   These combined with on-going difference of opinions on rules and operations, GADPA has decided to split with IDPA.   Each host indoor range can decide whether to run their matches under IDPA sanction or GADPA.    For the time being all ranges are sticking with GADPA.   One range has decided to do IDPA the first match of the month and GADPA the rest of the time.   Of course the monthly outdoor match will be GADPA.   Lots to be decided.    The GADPA directors have no hard feelings and do not wish to supplant IDPA, probably everyone will remain a member and compete IDPA, but they don't feel they can support IDPA rules and organization going forward as a match organizer.  There are at least 3 other IDPA clubs in the northern half the state, so no problem finding "sanctioned" matches.  Local matches are just practice anyway.

Read the announcement below before commenting on their decision.  There's a whole lot of backstory, of course.   BTW, they have probably around 600 plus shooters.   As I said, most everybody will probably remain an IDPA member and shoot in both types of matches.   I understand their position and I just want to shoot.   if there are slightly different rules at one than the other it's okay with me.

What I'm curious about is what's happening in your neck of the woods?   Are there other clubs withdrawing?   Is there a move afoot to create a new national organization?   I'm not well connected on this issue.   Maybe if I spent more time over an Brian Enos or THR.

To our GADPA Family,

You are receiving this email to inform you about a decision that the GADPA Board of Directors has made about the future of our club.  As of October 27th, 2014, the Greater Atlanta Defensive Pistol Association is discontinuing its affiliation with the International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA).

This decision was not taken likely.  Due to irreconcilable differences with IDPA Headquarters/Leadership, GADPA is perusing a exciting new direction.  Matches will continue under the GADPA banner (Both indoor and outdoor ranges).  These events will now be GADPA matches, not IDPA matches.  GADPA will continue to deliver the quality you have come to expect.  Please be patient while we make this transition.

This decision is made with the best intention for our club.  We realize this may not sit well with some of you.  However IDPA in Georgia will continue under other clubs.  We realize there will be several questions and we ask for your patients(sic)  while we address those concerns.

We appreciate your understanding and we look forward to serving you in our new direction.

Sincerely,

GADPA Board of Directors

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: IDPA and some dissent
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 02:21:05 PM »
Alf... I don't want to get into a USPSA/IDPA contest... I understand that IDPA has an appointed board of directors as opposed to an elected board of directors as USPSA does... it is hard to let new blood and ideas into the sport when you have a financial interest

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 04:53:56 PM »
That's mild!  There are a lot of dissenters on another forum and they are very vocal.  So far it has done them no good.  I myself am a member but I disagree with some of there rules and the reason/s they will not change/modify them.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

ExurbanKevin

• Working on Gun Culture 2.1RC3
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • There are CZ's, and there's everything else
    • Ammoman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 05:59:58 PM »
I'm utterly convinced at this point that the #1 thing that stands in the way of practical shooting becoming as big as professional fishing is the people who run practical shooting.

In the words of Denzel Washington in "Glory" (memo to self: Rent that movie again over the weekend...),

"Ain't nobody clean".

Between the recent dustup with the Director of USPSA and fiscal reality, today's hacking of the USPSA site (Dudes. Two words: Word. Press.), the unforced error of flat-footed reloads in IDPA and the Accu-Shadow flap (Google it), there has been a LOT of own goals that get in the way of presenting a united, professional program to potential sponsors.

Practical shooting is splintering into a dozen or more different organizations RIGHT as it's about to become the dominant shooting sport. Maybe it's growing pains, maybe it's a by-product of having a "don't tread on me" attitude from day one, maybe it's something else.

All I know is, I want practical shooting back on ESPN again, and this sort of thing ain't helping.
I can't understand people who think banning guns makes them safer. They must also believe that banning books makes them smarter.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 10:10:35 AM »
Okay, I know I can go to other forums and read all the minutia surrounding this.   

What I'm looking is not a discussion of the problem but if there are any other clubs withdrawing, as GADPA has done from IDPA.   

I'm not connected at all other than on occasional shooter in these goings on, is there another organization about to be birthed?

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:55:10 AM »

ExurbanKevin

• Working on Gun Culture 2.1RC3
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • There are CZ's, and there's everything else
    • Ammoman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 06:28:51 PM »
One of the ranges I shot at back in AZ ditched IDPA back in 2009, the other has it going great guns.

It is interesting to note that of the three outdoor ranges in the Phoenix area, only one hosts IDPA matches, yet all three do USPSA.
I can't understand people who think banning guns makes them safer. They must also believe that banning books makes them smarter.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 08:36:47 PM »
Alf, haven't heard or read of any other club withdrawing but their may be others that aren't publicizing.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 02:15:20 PM »
Well gosh, Kevin! Speaking as someone who actually tried to put practical shooting on ESPN (first, as part of the Great Outdoor Games; second, as a series we floated before SHOOTING GALLERY), ain't gonna happen in this lifetime. They're owned by Disney, who make Michael Bloomberg look like a moderate on guns.

The Balkanized state of the shooting sports sucks...it means 3 steps back for every 2 steps forward.

I'm just spitballing here, but what if a company with massive media holdings and a big bank account decide to get into the shooting sports? Wonder if we could make that work......

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 02:26:19 PM »
It would be worth a try.
It would give you something to fill all that free time you have.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk