Author Topic: Bug Out Gun  (Read 17100 times)

Grizzle_Bear

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bug Out Gun
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 12:03:01 PM »
Alf, that is one of those sort of guns that can only be referred to as "cute."

And I realize this is mainly for emergency use, but a couple of thoughts:

You lose a little velocity with the short barrel, but probably not enough to matter downrange.  But
it will also, even moreso than a regular length barrel, is going to make a noise like the Crack of Doom.
And even with milspec ammo, you should expect significant muzzle flash, which is Not A Good Thing
during serious social engagements.

Not that this would stop me from using it, just be aware.

Grizzle Bear

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 12:52:03 PM »
Thank you, G Bear.    Yes, it's cute.   I never thought much about AR pistols, but I just love this upper with the full length fore end.  And yes, it's for the Bug Out bag.    Given that it uses, 5.56 ammo, AR mags and there's tons of spare parts to be had, easily repaired, I was swayed in favor of a proprietary platform for this use.

I didn't think the flash and retort were that bad when I fired it.

I happen to think that lots of spitzen, sparken and loudenboomen, isn't necessarily a bad thing when facing adversaries.   Even at longer distances, they got to be questioning the wisdom of getting trying to get closer.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 06:45:11 PM »
as Mr. Bear commented... a linear comp like a Levang or a Troy makes a great addition... you can almost (almost) shoot one without ear plugs in an emergency... I do, however, already have hearing loss in the 4000 Hz range

mortdooley

• The U.S. Constitution poses no serious threat to our form of government..
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 07:58:30 AM »
 I have a family member who loves to get Tax Stamps to make SBRs out of ARs and AKs. The muzzle blast you feel sitting at the bench next to him is unpleasant at best! In any low light condition it could be blinding short term and in an inclosed area deafening without  hearing protection.

Currently I am hoping to find a Sub2000 in ,40 that takes S&W mags at a fair price, one that takes Glock mags would be easier to find but I'm not a Glock guy.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”

- – Voltaire

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.--Ray Bradbury

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 08:13:57 AM »
...but I'm not a Glock guy.

Mort, it takes a BIG MAN to so freely admit his mental and emotional shortcomings.

I think there are groups that can help you overcome this obvious case of self-loathing and get you back on the path to being an intelligent gun owner.

It may not be easy, but nothing worthwhile ever is.  Still, the rewards are worth it when you can finally recognize Glock is quite possibly the finest commercially available handgun.

Just remember the mantra:  Plastic is Fantastic.

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 01:44:01 AM »

mortdooley

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 08:33:28 AM »
Thanks Rabbit, I understand others don't share my opinion and I am OK with that. Glocks don't have round bores and hate cast bullets which I shoot a lot of and look like the glue guns they sell at Hobby Lobby. Other than that I favor metal frames even though I carry a verity of plastic pocket guns, one or two at a time concealed.

- – Voltaire

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.--Ray Bradbury

tombogan03884

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 08:35:54 AM »
Thank you, G Bear.    Yes, it's cute.   I never thought much about AR pistols, but I just love this upper with the full length fore end.  And yes, it's for the Bug Out bag.    Given that it uses, 5.56 ammo, AR mags and there's tons of spare parts to be had, easily repaired, I was swayed in favor of a proprietary platform for this use.

I didn't think the flash and retort were that bad when I fired it.

I happen to think that lots of spitzen, sparken and loudenboomen, isn't necessarily a bad thing when facing adversaries.   Even at longer distances, they got to be questioning the wisdom of getting trying to get closer.

Think "Flash/Bang grenade  ;D

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 09:31:35 AM »
I have a family member who loves to get Tax Stamps to make SBRs out of ARs and AKs. The muzzle blast you feel sitting at the bench next to him is unpleasant at best! In any low light condition it could be blinding short term and in an inclosed area deafening without  hearing protection.

Currently I am hoping to find a Sub2000 in ,40 that takes S&W mags at a fair price, one that takes Glock mags would be easier to find but I'm not a Glock guy.

Pretty good guns.
I kinda wish I had kept my Sub2000 (it was the .40 using Glock 22 mags), but I had the chance to sell it for more than I paid for it and apply the money toward an AR.
They are good bag guns, for what a pistol-caliber carbine is worth. Inside 100 yards, it was dead on with the factory peep sight, and in the last year or so, there are plenty of add-on items like picatinny fore-ends that can be had.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 09:38:48 AM »

I have two Glocks only so that I can compete in GSSF.   My Production semi-auto is a M&P, and I love to shoot revolver for most everything else.     However, for overall availability, I would think the Glock mags are ubiquitous.   Getting a S2000 with Glock mags isn't the same as actually buying a Glock.  It's just taking advantage of the availability and variety of the mags.

Don't the S&W 4006 mags only fit the 4xxx models?   If that's what you own/carry then great.  I don't think they interchangeable with the M&P or Sigma series.  Are they available in capacities bigger than 11 rounds?

Just things to think about.

I debated over this a long time trying to balance the magazine issue, with the ammo issue, with the size and cost issue.   The beauty of the AR pistol finally hit me with this upper.   The buffer tube does work though (ATTN:  BATFE. I'd never, ever actually do this) as a very short stock.    If I were going with the pistol caliber then the S2000 - Glock would be what I'd get.   Even if I didn't own Glocks.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

mortdooley

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 09:58:15 AM »
 I have a S&W 4006 Tactical and have used the mags in my 9mm Keltec P=11, it functions flawlessly with the smaller round and holds 15 or 16 of them.

- – Voltaire

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk