Author Topic: Bug Out Gun  (Read 17098 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Bug Out Gun
« on: November 21, 2014, 04:04:34 PM »
I haven't forgotten my "Get Home" and "Bug Out" thread.   Have most of it assembled, just been terribly busy.   One thing to decide on was a Bug Out gun.

Bug Out means your castle, your fort, your home is no longer suitable to sustain you and your family.  You might have seconds (toranado) or days (hurricane) or in-between (riots), to respond.  What to take?  What to take?   

There should be a gun in the Bug Out bag.  Time and space permitting you can take your entire armory, but what do you keep in the bag that you can grab and go on a moments notice?   As some of you know, one of my guidelines was simplicity.  Trying to stock a bare number of calibers means I have given long hard consideration to 9mm carbines and to .357 lever rifles as those calibers are my choices for everyday carry and for my Get Home bags.   But a rifle with a decent range would be nice in the Bug Out bag, but it needs to be compact.   I have given long hard looks at Kel-Tec SU-16c (.223) and their Sub 2000 (9mm).  Especially the S2000 as it folds up to only 16" and wouldn't require stocking another caliber.   But having a true rifle caliber would be a positive.  A desirable thing.  The AR platform comes apart easily enough for carry, but I just didn't like any of the upper configurations.   I didn't feel comfortable striking out trying to build my own upper.   And I definitely have looked down on the AR pistol.        BUT THEN... that's a thing of the past.

I'm at a local gun show and a couple of real nice, good old boys from TN had a bunch of somewhat uniquely configured AR uppers.   Not that you couldn't build them yourself, but they had them ready to rock and roll.   One in particular jumped out and said, "Take me home."  (If you haven't read the book Blink from Gladwell, you should.  This was one of those "blink" moments.  I knew it was the right choice as soon as I saw it.)

It's the cutest 12" upper with a full length, very light weight fore end.   My hand just couldn't put it down.  Came with BCG and CH.   Love it.  Went around the house on Saturday just carrying the upper with me.

I couldn't wait so I went to the local parts dealer Thursday and got a new "other" lower made by Spikes.    Don't think I was home 5 minutes before I had it assembled.

This will fit into a 24" carrying case with room to spare and will be perfect for a Bug Out bag.  The fore end came with three, short Picatinny rails that can be attached for accessories.  Trying to keep a slim storage profile, so don't think I'll use those.  Might put a red-dot on a 45degree mount, just cause I have both in stock.  I will order a pair of quick takedown pins as well as an emergency repair kit to go.

Here's the whole thing.

Went to the range today and put 40 rounds through it.  Even without a stock, it shoots great and was fun.  Did it all standing.  When I get a chance at a 100yd range I'll sight it in more carefully.  I will be picking up the Sig Arm Brace, just to have, before they become... uh, rare.   (Yes, I'm aware of the difference between a pistol and an SBR.) 

Here's a question though.  To create an even slimmer storage profile, I'm thinking of making a "pistol" grip that has less of an extension to it.  Sort of a "rifle grip".   I don't think having a "pistol" grip is a requirement for a "pistol", is it?   I've been trying to imagine whether this is even workable, shootable, but having an extra grip and The Michael Bane deluxe Dremel tool set, I'm going to try, you betcha.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

bulldog75

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Re: Bug Out Gun
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 06:04:48 PM »
You should have to get a permit to use a dremel on a firearm. Seen too many people use them on firearms and then they have to call a gunsmith to fix it. Do not do it. (Sarcasm)

Every time I get and idea about using a dremel on one of my firearms I talk to the local master gunsmith. He always says use your hands and take small amounts off, you can always take more off but if the dremel gets away from you. Good luck putting some back on. Oh yea sweet purchase. Been looking at a Ruger Super Redhawk one of my bug out hammers.
Citizens sleep peacfully at night knowing that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • It's just a pen name...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 06:36:45 PM »
Here's mine 8.5" bbl + the claymore brake...turns out it's exactly the same length as my tennis racquets  :o

Best Wishes, Mike.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 09:29:32 PM »
if you completely remove the grip, you will need to thread the detent spring hole for the thumb safety, and plug with a set screw, but that is not much of a problem... if you want to forego the weight of the SigBrace... one of the KAK tubes and a 1 1/16" rubber end cap puts my nose to charging handle... there are letters from ATF technical division on file, allowing the use of the end cap

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 10:22:15 PM »
Decades ago the air force made an ar15 survival rifle prototype and to get less height to it they cut the pistol grip down. They cut off about half of it which I think is too short to handle effectively. If you can get all your fingers on except your pinkie that would be a different story. It might be enough of a difference to make it fit in a particular case that it won't quite fit.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:14:02 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 07:54:37 AM »
Bulldog:  I have extra grips, the cheap ones, so if I ruin one, not a problem.

Bic:   Very nice.  I've been eyeing the new soft side guitar cases.

Les:  I was going to start with an existing grip and cut it back, so the safety detent spring isn't a problem.

Jumbofrank:  I'm not positive what I want, just don't want it to stick down as much.    Maybe fill in the area behind the trigger back to the sling ring. 

SO:  Nobody is going to ding me on putting the MUBS sights on backwards?   I kind of like them folding forward, and for the front sight it doesn't matter.  But the rear peep is better viewsed from the flat side, plus I can move it 1" closer to the rear.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 08:55:46 AM »
Bic, Double check the legality of the Sig Brace !!!

http://gunssavelives.net/gun-industry/breaking-recent-atf-letter-on-sig-brace-calls-into-question-legality-of-shoulder-firing/

A new letter issued by the ATF to a custom shotgun shop could signal a change in the way the SIG Brace is being treated by the ATF.

According to the letter, addressed to Black Aces Tactical, a custom shotgun shop, it appears to call into question the act of shouldering a firearm equipped with the brace.

.....................................More at link.............................................

DanPatWork

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 10:07:16 AM »
Check out this article about the sig brace. If you read the ATF letter page 3 in the image as well as the article it appears to only refer to the specific sample that was submitted in its form. Obviously that form could be reproduced by anyone.   The way I'm reading this, the specific form of a pistol version of a shotgun becomes a different beast with the addition of the forward pistol grip. When it is no longer a pistol,  the legality of the pistol brace comes into play. To me it seems the "submitted sample" is the key at Issue. I am not a lawyer so YMMV.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/11/robert-farago/atf-letter-is-not-the-end-of-the-sig-brace/
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • It's just a pen name...
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 10:15:33 AM »
Yeah, I read about all that stuff a few days ago. It would be interesting to know how many of those things that Sig has sold would it not?
Best Wishes, Mike.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 10:53:43 AM »
The VZ58 with folding stock is a very small package.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk