Author Topic: Do not catch ejected rounds  (Read 17300 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Do not catch ejected rounds
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 05:57:31 AM »
I keep thinking that this may be a one in a million occurrence but I don't want to be the one. I could see this easily happening if a round has a high primer and I know even good brands of factory ammo aren't perfect. I once had a .45 round without an extractor groove. It's hard to believe it missed a step like that and ended up in the box.

That's my thinking.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 868
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 07:37:45 AM »
That's my thinking.

That is what firearm safety is all about.  We go to ultimate ends to be safe.  We act as if every gun is just waiting to go boom on its own to avoid the possibility of anything happening.  Imagine if we treated other more dangerous activities in our lives like we do firearms.  Maybe drivers should consider this when they, we, get behind the wheel or in the passenger seat.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 08:23:53 AM »
Can you imagine the havoc wreaked on the auto repair legal, and auto insurance  industries if auto accidents were reduced to under 5,000 per year ?

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2014, 11:40:10 AM »

While I hate it when a competitor flips their round in the air and catches it, there is no danger of this round going off.  However, a round that does not fully eject could be set off with even slow pressure from the slide closing.

This gets back to the original post, ie: the round going off via the action of the ejection process itself (such as the primer hitting the ejector as the slide is drawn rearward).
If a round could go off like this, it doesn't matter whether it is being flipped out of the gun (into the air) or into a hand cupped over the slide, except for the potential damage/injury.

I can see a round going off via the second example above, closing the slide on a live round that didn't eject.

Don't get me wrong, safety should always be the thought of the day...especially with firearms......and, even if I don't see it happening under normal operational mechanics, and if it did it would be a freak occurrence due to abnormal circumstances, I also do not want to be that statistic either.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 868
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2014, 12:31:30 PM »
Can you imagine the havoc wreaked on the auto repair legal, and auto insurance  industries if auto accidents were reduced to under 5,000 per year ?

Can you hear the screaming and lawsuits by anti-gunners if anyone even suggested that vehicle operation come even close to what we do on our own with firearms?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 09:45:29 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2014, 08:48:32 AM »
Do you ever text and shoot, or shoot while talking on a cell phone ? 

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2014, 09:16:41 AM »
Do you ever text and shoot, or shoot while talking on a cell phone ?

Saw a guy doing just that at the range once. He had the phone on speaker, laying on the bench next to the rifle, and was having quite the conversation between shots.

Then when he got off the phone, he was trying to use the camera on the phone to look through the scope.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2014, 04:36:02 AM »
I'll put this one in the same file that say's it's "dangerous" to shoot 5.56 MM in a .223 chamber. I've yet to see or hear of a catastrophic failure based on that alone. With the millions of AR-15's and Ruger Mini 14's sold in the last decade, we would have seen it EVERYWHERE.

I'm not saying it won't raise chamber pressure a tad, but it's not going to send you to the hospital any more than shooting Weatherby ammunition in a Remington 700 chambered for the same round without the freebore. I don't even bother to segregate my brass anymore when I reload. There is just no need to.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2014, 04:37:31 AM »

Or the traffic court system if only the same amount got a DUI nationwide in a year? Their tax coffers would dry up in a week.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 02:13:25 AM »
Where I have seen this get dangerously close, has been when an ejector is too long or the OAL is too long and there is not enough clearance for the bullet nose to clear the chamber mouth, it will jam the case head against the ejector and trap the whole cartridge sideways. One of my pistols did it while fitting a longer ejector. No boom, but it did dent the outside edge of the primer.

Cartridge flipping is a bad habit, and we don't allow it at our range, it blocks the RO from being intent on the firearm during unloading, places the shooter in a bad position if I had to grab his shoulders to control him, and last, the Newbie sees Grand Master Bob do it, and then tries it, gets confused, and forgets to drop the mag first and pops an uncontrolled round  ( hopefully ) in a safe direction.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk