Author Topic: Do not catch ejected rounds  (Read 17327 times)

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Do not catch ejected rounds
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »
Usually happens with an extended ejector and following the procedure outlined by Solus.  Most competitive shooters have gotten away from this procedure and yank the slide back and catch the live round in their hand.  Looks kool but most of them get free ammo and can afford to let the round hit the ground!

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1087
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 10:22:06 PM »
I'll err on the side of caution and pick a round off of the ground rather than a finger.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

OldCommander45

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 12:08:49 AM »
I call rubbish. In the unlikely event that a round would go off in the manner described, there would be nothing for the shooter to catch as the round would go off in the ejection port. It would all be over before the shooter could release the slide.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 06:47:51 AM »
I know Ellis and Les and others have watched millions more rounds downrange at matches than I, so I'll bow to their experience.   But I find it difficult to believe the ejector, which isn't (or shouldn't be) pointed could possibly hit the primer exactly in the middle and with enough force, by hand, to set off a primer. 

Maybe my recoil springs are so heavy that I couldn't possibly pull my slide back fast enough to make it happen.

It just seems one of the things you couldn't make happen on purpose in a gazillion years.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 07:28:20 AM »
years ago, we had a young Coast Guardsman that shot with us... his carry pistol was a Commander which has an extended ejector... he was working live rounds through the action when one detonated... a piece of brass clipped his neck, and caused a lot of blood loss... he placed a towel on his neck, dialed 911 and went outside to sit on the curb for the EMTs.... when they got there, one questioned him as to what happened... when he raised his neck to show the cut, the artery let loose... luckily the EMT had a hemostat to immediately clamp it off...

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 09:31:17 AM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 02:31:53 PM »
I call rubbish. In the unlikely event that a round would go off in the manner described, there would be nothing for the shooter to catch as the round would go off in the ejection port. It would all be over before the shooter could release the slide.

In this procedure you don't let go of the slide.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

vincewarde

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 05:38:03 PM »
Ok, confession time.   I keep my 9mm reloads in sealed plastic bags.  One day I tossed a 50 round bag into a bucket containing my 9mm bagged ammo.  You guessed it - a primer got hit just right and went off.  No one hurt, but I learned my lesson.....

In regards to catching rounds, I would never do it if I was wearing a ring.  To much chance that it might result in a bang...

Shoot the guns of history

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 11:21:50 AM »
I was going thru a pistol class and the shooter next to me had a springfield XD. During the class he had a stove pipe on ejection, he went thru the clearing drill and when he swept the slide back, he managed to catch the spent case between the face of the slide and the new round being loaded, when the slide slammed forward, it went off, he had good muzzle control as it was pointed downrange, so no damage or injuries other than his shorts.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 872
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 08:59:24 PM »
The idea that it takes a hard strike from a sharp item to set off a primer is a misconception.  The first gun I built was fired by tapping the primer with a pliers.  I have witnessed twice a shotgun primer being set off in the reloading press when a single shot had fallen into the primer seating die.  Neither of these are classic sharp blow with pointed item.

While I hate it when a competitor flips their round in the air and catches it, there is no danger of this round going off.  However, a round that does not fully eject could be set off with even slow pressure from the slide closing.

Good discussion, and it does remind me of the danger in being lazy and trying to slowly clear a firearm and not letting the round fall to the ground.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1087
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 10:19:35 PM »
I keep thinking that this may be a one in a million occurrence but I don't want to be the one. I could see this easily happening if a round has a high primer and I know even good brands of factory ammo aren't perfect. I once had a .45 round without an extractor groove. It's hard to believe it missed a step like that and ended up in the box.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk