Author Topic: My UPS Order Was In A Train Derailment... Now What ?  (Read 15053 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
Re: My UPS Order Was In A Train Derailment... Now What ?
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 09:12:26 AM »
Derailments happen more frequently than one would think.

A neighbor and good family friend built (along with a partner to whom he recently sold out) a multi-million dollar company that did nothing but physical repairs after train derailments, including the follow-up track repair afterward. They designed and built specialty equipment to pick up derailed cars and facilitate rapid restoration of rail lines, and had stacks of pre-assembled rail sections loaded on flatbed trailers ready to go at a moments notice. Their business and storage yard is about five miles from our place and it was quite something to see when their repair convoy rolled out to a job.
Their primary customer was CSX (even though they would go anywhere in the southeastern area; I think a percentage of the company was sold to CSX in the buy-out mentioned above) and had regular call-outs to their big hub in Waycross, GA.

If you click on the google maps link, you will see the yard......toward the east side is the flatbeds with rail sections (rails already mounted to cross-ties). Out near the paved road entrance is a restored engine and caboose that they set up on a rail section for 'decoration' purposes.

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.3965063,-83.6059662,454m/data=!3m1!1e3

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 10:50:50 AM »
Path, it's not the economy I was questioning, but the end-to-end speed.

Pig trains have THE top priority in rail traffic, second only to passenger trains where they still run. So they are very fast.

As for where it's most efficient, that depends on the railroad. Most roads took the time when they saw the traffic moving to truck 20 to 30 years ago to step up not only their marketing but also their actual service to various industries. As the USPS is now in bed with both UPS and FedEx, the railroads have approached specific industries to secure their business.

I would look between Williams and Winslow, where the major rail line in AZ is, and I would wager that there are major depots for either FedEx or UPS, likely for both.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 12:43:33 PM »
Back in the 80's and early 90's when I was living in the Rochester NH area they were shipping the gravel for the Logan airport expansion, and later, the "Big Dig", from a pit in Ossipee NH by train.
About once every 6 months one would derail, actually, one or more cars would fall over, always at the same street crossing. You could only use that road about 4 non consecutive months out of the year for about 6 years because the rest of the time it would be ripped up trying to fix the track.
They still haven't got it right as I heard of another derailment last spring, but they don't use it nearly as much any more.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 02:26:09 PM »
As far as I know, I've only had one item affected by a shipping incident and that was a long time ago...but I never did receive the item.

In the Summer of 1956, I sold magazine subscriptions to folks for some cause the Catholic grade school I attended was sponsoring. You got a reward based on the number you sold.  I sold enough to get the top prize, which was a wooden case in the shape of a cross where you could take off the lid, put the base in a slot in the inside of the box and have a crucifix.  Inside the box were two candles that fit into holes and made a hot item for Catholic gradeschoolers.

Not only that, the Pope blessed each and every one.  At the time, I thought he touched each one, but I imagine he stepped into a warehouse and did the whole place at once.

Anyway, they were to be given out after we returned to school in the fall. 

Well, they were sent from Italy on the SS Andrea Doria, which sunk off the coast of the US on that trip. 

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 03:12:23 PM »
I rarely use my front door and UPS always delivers to my back door whether I have to sign for it or not. They usually come in mid afternoon and I know when it's coming. If I'm not home they leave it on the back porch where nobody else would see it. I got a package today from the post office. They set it on the front porch at I don't know what time, maybe first thing in the morning, where I was the last one in the neighborhood to see it. That's one more reason I like UPS plus they always ring the doorbell.

P.S. I didn't have any idea that my package even shipped let alone that would be here today. 
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:49:15 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 03:24:04 PM »
Solus, you can probably get one of THOSE cases if you are willing to pay since the Andria Doria has been a favorite site for wreck diving and it has been pretty much stripped of anything movable.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 04:40:55 PM »
Pig trains have THE top priority in rail traffic, second only to passenger trains where they still run. So they are very fast.

+1

I have several friends that are OTR truck drivers. Over the last few years, they have been inundated with new restrictions on daily driving time behind the wheel and mileage restrictions.
So unless the trip is regional, rail is a good bet...especially cross country. Trains do have to slow down in major areas, and many companies have to stop every eight hours to change crews (only takes a short time, I've seen it done right in the middle of town) then it's back up and going.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 05:55:26 PM »
Solus, you can probably get one of THOSE cases if you are willing to pay since the Andria Doria has been a favorite site for wreck diving and it has been pretty much stripped of anything movable.

It's lost it's charm...  I mean if the Pope's Blessing couldn't even save it....
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 06:46:58 PM »
It's lost it's charm...  I mean if the Pope's Blessing couldn't even save it....

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2014, 05:10:23 AM »
The P-Mags arrived yesterday at 1:30 PM totally unscathed. I just noticed they've got more back in stock at that price. Now I'm ready for the Republican sweep, and the Ferguson Grand Jury verdict!   ;D

http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Magpul-Industries-Mag-PMAG-223-Rem-556NATO-30Rd-Black-AR-Rifles-MAG571%252dBLK.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk