Author Topic: Pepper spray for coyote  (Read 9090 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: Pepper spray for coyote
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 04:11:49 AM »
Coyotes are common in Lake Havasu. They won't attack a dog on a leash being walked by a human, regardless of the dogs size. I've heard of rogue coyotes going over a wall and killing small breeds that were unattended, but have never known anyone who knew anyone that anything like that happened to.

When I lived there I had a German Shepard, and she would lay next to me on the front driveway when I sat out having my morning coffee. Many times a coyote would come strolling down the street and when it got too close she would take off after it. They would run like hell. They'll only attack larger dogs if they're in a pack. I've never seen or heard of that actually happening.

If a coyote sees you, they won't take their eyes off of you. They are very weary of humans. I would imagine if you managed to get one cornered, they would attack like any other wild animal. But if left on their own they won't get too close to humans, dog or no dog. There are very few stray cats in Lake Havasu, however.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 02:03:01 PM »
Coyotes are common in Lake Havasu. They won't attack a dog on a leash being walked by a human, regardless of the dogs size. I've heard of rogue coyotes going over a wall and killing small breeds that were unattended, but have never known anyone who knew anyone that anything like that happened to.

When I lived there I had a German Shepard, and she would lay next to me on the front driveway when I sat out having my morning coffee. Many times a coyote would come strolling down the street and when it got too close she would take off after it. They would run like hell. They'll only attack larger dogs if they're in a pack. I've never seen or heard of that actually happening.

If a coyote sees you, they won't take their eyes off of you. They are very weary of humans. I would imagine if you managed to get one cornered, they would attack like any other wild animal. But if left on their own they won't get too close to humans, dog or no dog. There are very few stray cats in Lake Havasu, however.

I suspected the same, Bill, but my friend is a very timid person and if considering taking self protection preparations, even for her dog, I want to encourage it. 

Thanks.

P.S.  She did go "hand to hand" with a pit bull that attacked her previous dog, a spaniel, so I think she has more "guts" than she suspects.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 03:48:04 AM »
Lake Havasu also has a very large abundance of Road Runners. I had one that would come around almost daily, and we would throw it little pieces of raw hamburger. Each time making him come closer and closer for it. After about 3 months of this I finally got to the point where he would grab it from my fingers, then high tail it away to a safe distance and eat it. Then we would repeat the process. Contrary to what Hanna - Barbera Productions would have you believe when we were kids, Coyote's don't chase them. They have wings and Coyote's don't. 

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 07:12:00 AM »
Here in Florida we had a similar discussion some time back about the best way to dissuade larger gators from attacking golfers near the water hazards.  Smaller gators didn't offer the same threat.

It was recommended that they (the golfers) employ a small bell to let the gators know they were coming and warn them (the gators) away.

It was also suggested that the golfers carry pepper spray if the gators appeared recalcitrant about leaving the area.

To determine if a water hazard was the home to a large versus a small gator, it was suggested that the golfers examine the scat around the waters edge.

If the scat was from a smaller gator, the golfer would observe feathers, small bones, and fish scales in the scat.

If it was from a large gator, the golfer would observe small bells and the smell of pepper spray.

IMHO, a .22 mag should be enough to dissuade even the more aggressive 'yotes.

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Timothy

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 10:19:18 AM »
Here in Florida we had a similar discussion some time back about the best way to dissuade larger gators from attacking golfers near the water hazards.  Smaller gators didn't offer the same threat.

It was recommended that they (the golfers) employ a small bell to let the gators know they were coming and warn them (the gators) away.

It was also suggested that the golfers carry pepper spray if the gators appeared recalcitrant about leaving the area.

To determine if a water hazard was the home to a large versus a small gator, it was suggested that the golfers examine the scat around the waters edge.

If the scat was from a smaller gator, the golfer would observe feathers, small bones, and fish scales in the scat.

If it was from a large gator, the golfer would observe small bells and the smell of pepper spray.

IMHO, a .22 mag should be enough to dissuade even the more aggressive 'yotes.

Crusader Rabbit

I do so love to read your prose and polysyllabic verbiage...

As to the context of your statement, it reminds me of a similar condition experienced with brown bear poo...

:D

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:02:34 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 11:53:19 AM »

Even in our urban area we have a fair amount of coyotes.   My only concern is if any become rabid.   We too have many "missing cat" signs on the lamp posts.     

And also contrary to HB, coyotes run faster than road runners.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

lonedog

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2014, 03:45:56 PM »
IIRC me tink the RR was WB not HB

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 07:06:31 PM »
So right, lonedog.    My bad.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

mortdooley

• The U.S. Constitution poses no serious threat to our form of government..
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 07:32:24 AM »
Rick Perry used a Ruger LCP with Crimson Trace laser to good effect a few years ago while walking the family dog!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”

- – Voltaire

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.--Ray Bradbury

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk