Author Topic: What Are Your Hopes ...  (Read 5361 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: What Are Your Hopes ...
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 03:02:47 PM »
Shoot the 6 guns I have bought this year and have yet too shoot

Been cray busy
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Timothy

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 03:16:58 PM »
My SIL bagged his second buck after eleven years of trying and thousands of dollars is expenses! 

He's gotten a half dozen does and one button but this one was a nice young eight point.

I don't hunt deer anymore.  Occasional small game these days.  Pretty much a life long tree rat killer...

fatbaldguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Friends, don't let friends, shop Wal-Mart
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 06:16:53 PM »
I'm taking next Friday off so's I can hunt tree rats all that weekend.  Finally gonna do a bit of trap shooting.  Haven't shot trap in 20-25 years.  Need to burn some ammo in the the Ruger SR762.  My eyes and the irons should be good to 150.  Gotta buy that optic for it though.  Anybody got some same folding money?
“It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.”

James Madison

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 07:08:21 PM »
Class B in ICORE and SS in IDPA in both SSR and SSP.

My bucket list includes:

IDPA Indoor Nationals
IDPA BUG
ICORE IRC

Just to be able to go to more matches would be a wonderful thing.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 07:51:55 PM »
I plan on doing more shooting next year starting in spring. I barely had my guns out all year.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:13:13 PM »

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 10:14:04 PM »
I think Jay said that the Area 6 Multigun for 2015 (Universal Shooting Academy, Frostproof, Fla where the World Shoot was held) will be the end of March... you Southern folk, plan a trip to Disney World for the family, and bring your blasters down for a couple of days.... if you are polite, will direct you to the Frost Bite burger joint...

lhprop1

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 09:15:54 AM »
You will want to wash your hunting clothes in unscented detergent . , DO NOT use scented soap, shampoo, aftershave, or deodorant, deer have good noses .

I agree with everything else you said, but the above comes with a caveat.  The only time you really need to be mindful of your scent is if you're in a vast expanse of wilderness.  Most deer are around people on a daily basis, whether it be near farmers or in the suburbs, and are accustomed to our smells.  Human scent no longer means 'danger', it's just more of a curiosity to them.  If you're hunting around inhabited areas like farmland, this isn't really that big of a deal.   

I brush my teeth with regular old toothpaste every morning during hunting season.  I take a shower with normal soap and shampoo.  I have a big ol' dipski in my lipski damn near every second I'm out in the field and I drink coffee in the deer stand as well.  I still have deer come within 15-20 yards of me every year without showing the slightest concern for my scent.

Coyotes, on the other hand, are very wary of anything that doesn't smell like their prey or another coyote. 

One word on scent, many people use Doe urine or some other "attractant", DO NOT PUT THIS ON YOUR CLOTHES. Put it on a piece of rag stuck through your belt or some where else you can get rid of it quick.
In rutting season, if it smells like a doe a buck will try to mount it, even if it is funny looking.
Can't think of anything else right now. Have fun.  ;D

I can attest to this.  A few years ago, I was sitting on the ground overlooking a ravine.  I had a 6 point buck come up within 5 yards of me and challenge me.  He started stomping his hoof, grunting, and rattling his antlers on a tree branch.  He was too small to be a legal buck so I couldn't shoot him legally.  I stood up and started making a lot of noise and he figured this was a fight he wouldn't win and skittered off.
Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous.  So are cowardice and intelligence.

"We Americans have been a rebellious band of freedom loving vagabonds from the very beginning. Our freedom from the crown and tyranny would not exist had it not been for the gun. That's a tradition we like to hold on to.  The same can't be said for the rest of you 'Subjects of the Queen'."--said to a Canadian friend who just doesn't get it.

tombogan03884

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 12:47:29 PM »
One thought lhprop1 triggered, deer are as curious as the proverbial cat. If you are in deer country, go some where where some kind of logging or construction has been going on during the day, some time between when work stops and sun down there will be deer coming around to check it out.
Another thing to research is what do deer in your area eat, up here a nice grove of oaks, or hickory will have deer in season nearly guaranteed.
It doesn't hurt to liberally throw around seed peas or a salt lick  in the spring, but you want to make sure it isn't considered "Baiting". Up here, baiting is illegal for deer, so a pile of peas would be illegal, but scattered, with the intention of them growing their own peas is not considered baiting. same way if your garden or orchard are far enough from the house for legal shooting. Although I've known guys who got their deer out the bedroom window with out even putting their slippers on.  ;D

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 01:48:32 PM »
Hopes for the coming year.....hmm.

I need to shoot GSSF. (joined but haven't shot yet)
I'd like to get drawn for SOMETHING to hunt in AZ. (It would save a costly drive to MN)
Win another Glock from the PVA.
Win the lottery.

As far as using various scents hunting, after observing a lot of deer behavior I no longer use doe scent alone. MN doe in the area I hunt got more skittish and wary downwind of the doe scent and it didn't seem to concern the bucks.
Wildlife Research Center's "Active-Scrape" had a very interesting effect on a buck coming in to check one of his scrapes. 1 drop on his scrape had him REALLY concerned that some other pair of dangling gonads had been messing with it.
Using a cover scent to me is pointless. The deer will smell the cover scent, but they're quite capable of smelling literally everything else too. I use scent free clothes wash, scent free body/hair soap, gun oil with a minimal/no odor and UV Killer.
(IMHO the UV Killer is one of the most important - search  http://www.atsko.com/  for really good info)

The only thing game can't smell is nothing. So I make that my goal when I'm walking to and sitting in my stand.
Be a no sound, no smell, no movement hole in the woods that emits nothing but 30 cal bullets on command.  ;D
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

lhprop1

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 02:27:38 PM »
With all that said about scent, I'll say this:  When the rut is in peak, all bets are off and everything we're told about scent this or that goes out the window.  They have one thing on their mind, consequences be damned.
Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous.  So are cowardice and intelligence.

"We Americans have been a rebellious band of freedom loving vagabonds from the very beginning. Our freedom from the crown and tyranny would not exist had it not been for the gun. That's a tradition we like to hold on to.  The same can't be said for the rest of you 'Subjects of the Queen'."--said to a Canadian friend who just doesn't get it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk