Author Topic: Ever shoot someone?  (Read 13237 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Ever shoot someone?
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 09:26:07 PM »
In more than fifty years of gun handling by me, my family and friends combined, we've never had a mechanical issue of any kind that resulted in a discharge of a firearm!
  really? I have had one, and witness to others.  mine was the 22 firing pin bulging and going full auto.  one was an Winchester rifle that when you would take the safety off the gun would go bang. they had a massive recall in the early sixties because of it.  the last was  ultra light weight race 1911 that had the seerer break and discharged by using the slide release.  Every one thought it was  nd, untill we tessted it.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 09:54:52 PM »
I dissagree. Mechanical.failures can produce a ad, but they are extremely rare.

I disagree with you on this one TAB.  A maintained firearm does not just go off.  If it has a mechanical issue you are not caring for it, and that is careless.  Also, if you only pull the firearm when needed for defense it doesn't matter if it goes off on its own or not.  The firearm does not leave the holster until it is going to be fired.  The chances of calling off the shot after the draw are the same as the gun going off on its own.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 11:24:08 PM »
not true at all.   how often do you tear your guns apart to either magnaflux or dye check them?  you cannot see microcracks with the naked eye.  what about the rifle I mentioned in the post above?   it was a known issue or the 3 position safety could occasionally break. once it did you could not remove the safety without the gun going bang.  you could not even unload the gun because it locked the bolt.  like I said there was a major recall in the early sixties.  but not everyone had their gun fixed.  many didn't even know.  like I said it does not happen often but it does happen.

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 06:30:25 AM »
Good maintenance is a must . I will point out that at least 2 of TAB's examples are questionable.
1st, firing pins don't "bulge" from hitting brass cases of rim fire ammo, it's softer than the steel, what causes the bulging is dry firing a rim fire which every one is told not to do, in most cases it is specified in the instructions.
So that was a case of user abuse/misuse of the firearm.
2nd, the "race gun", these are nowhere near being stock fire arms that an average person would CCW, and are entirely dependent one the workmanship of one individual doing their own quality control without the sort of checks provided by the factory process. So this can be listed as "monkeying with an otherwise safe gun", again, caused by the owner.
The 3rd case, while it was apparently caused by a factory defect, I would still blame on owner negligence since knowing TAB's age means that this event occurred at least 20 years after the recall he mentioned and a careful owner would have had the proper repairs made at the time of the recall. Of course the age of the gun leaves open the possibility of simple wear, but not enough information is given.
In short, careful examination, and basic safety tests on cleaning would have at least the last 2 of these defects and if they were not present when the last shooting session ended they would not magically appear before the next shooting session began.

ExurbanKevin

• Working on Gun Culture 2.1RC3
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • There are CZ's, and there's everything else
    • Ammoman.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 11:16:28 AM »
"Ever shoot anybody?"
"No, but I hurt somebody's feelings once."

- Robert de Niro, Ronin

:D:D:D:D

A good resource for 1st-person CCW stories is the Defensive Gun Use subReddit. While it lists a lot of third-party news stories from around the nation, there is occasionally stories about people on the site who have had to use their firearms in defense of their life.
I can't understand people who think banning guns makes them safer. They must also believe that banning books makes them smarter.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:24:06 AM »

brushmore

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 12:05:10 PM »
I agree with Tab on this one.  I had an issue with an old Anshutz where it would fire once the bolt was closed, even if the safety was on.  Basically the problem was that a screw came loose.  Not an issue since I always followed the safety rules so muzzle was always pointed down range.  Follow the safety rules.  Never assume that mechanical failures are impossible.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 12:06:22 PM »
In more than fifty years of gun handling by me, my family and friends combined, we've never had a mechanical issue of any kind that resulted in a discharge of a firearm!

This might be a special case, but here is what happened to me.

I was installing a Bull Pup stock on a Mini-14 and had it installed, adjusted and function tested as per the instructions.

I could operate the bolt, pull the trigger and dry fire it several times.

Next step was a live  test.   Put a cartridge  in a magazine, inserted it, released the bolt and it discharged.....into the ground thanks to my paying attention to the rules.

I also found I has a thumb safety problem with my 1911.  With it unloaded, I pulled the trigger with the safety on and the hammer fell to the half cock notch. 

I had a National Match M1a, at the range with some bulk ammo, it would "double".  Work fine with my handloads and name brand match ammo, but not the bulk batch.  The rifle had a light trigger pull and I thought I might have "bump fired" it, so I made sure the trigger was firmly held rearward for the next shot and it "doubled" again.

So, my experience says mechanics can lead to an "unintended" discharge.  None of those were negligent because I was not negligent in how I handled the weapon.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 12:17:36 PM »

In my 50 years of gun handling, I've had 3.
First was an el cheapo pump shotgun - one made by someone then rebranded to be sold in various dept stores. Pumping the action to unload it rather than pushing the shell latch out of the way. Gun fired when the 3rd shell went into the chamber.   

The second was a Mod 12 Winchester. Fired when we were standing around after the morning Mourning Dove blastfest. I was moving the gun from one hand to the other and it fired - with the safety ON. 
Neither shotgun had been modified from it's factory configuration.

The 3rd was a Colt 1911 Gold Cup that doubled after a trigger job.
(Full auto 1911s are neat but you better have a solid grip 8)) 
That problem went away with 2 minutes of work from the gunsmith that did the trigger job.
It has never done it again.

None resulted in any injury because of muzzle control.
I like Solus equating handling guns like running chainsaws. Chainsaws with range!

You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 03:53:51 PM »
Tom the 22 was not mine.  And while the rifle had a known issue, about half of them were fixed.  Lots of dads or grandpas deer rifles out there with this prob.  Which was the with that gun in question.  It was his dads rifle, not touched in decades.  Not many of us would even know about that recall  unless you are close to.70

tombogan03884

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 04:37:38 PM »
Tom the 22 was not mine.  And while the rifle had a known issue, about half of them were fixed.  Lots of dads or grandpas deer rifles out there with this prob.  Which was the with that gun in question.  It was his dads rifle, not touched in decades.  Not many of us would even know about that recall  unless you are close to.70

Up yours TAB, I was old enough to pay attention to gun stuff and I'm not close to 70.

Well, not THAT close any way .   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk