Author Topic: It's five o'clock in Newfoundland, I think!  (Read 9080 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
Re: It's five o'clock in Newfoundland, I think!
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 05:12:07 PM »
I don't drink any longer...... unless I have a really bad cough......but back in my drinking days, there was only one drink for me ................... and only one way to drink it: Wild Turkey Bourbon (101 proof, please)...... in a glass.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Timothy

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 05:48:14 PM »
The only mix that ever touches GOOD booze is air!

Or a bit of ice or maybe a splash of water to release the flavor with good scotch.

Timothy

It's five o'clock in Newfoundland, I think!
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 05:57:24 PM »
Actually it comes from the Royal Navy and is never made with bourbon.
First time I've ever seen Wiki screw up that badly.

Brandy, ginger ale and bitters.

Jumbo Frank would probably use Vernor's!

:)

fatbaldguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Friends, don't let friends, shop Wal-Mart
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 06:01:44 PM »
When I drank, it was 'Never met a beer/Ale/Porter/Stout(American Lagers don't count) I didn't like', and Woodford Reserve.  WR in a chilled glass.  My BIL usually had some really peaty/smoky Scotch that was very drinkable too.  Can't remember what that was though.

And, the sun is always over the yardarm somewhere in the (former)British Empire.
“It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.”

James Madison

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 02:34:12 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 10:55:26 PM »
Brandy, ginger ale and bitters.

Jumbo Frank would probably use Vernor's!

:)

Vernors is my favorite soda, or pop as we call it. I've had Vernor's with bourbon but never with brandy. Maybe it's time I order another bottle of Asbach. I haven't had any for a few years. It mixes well with coke. I like a shot of each. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbach_Uralt
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2014, 04:58:29 AM »
Seeing that my father was an immigrant from Ontario, he introduced me to Verner's on our trips to see his folks.   It's available, in cans, down south, but I don't think it tastes the same as it did 50 years ago in bottles.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Timothy

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2014, 06:03:41 AM »
Vernor's is the nectar of the gods to a Michigander but, Alf's right!  Since the invention of high fructose corn syrup and a myriad of chemicals introduced into the food chain, Vernor's has definitely changed since it's invention back in 1866.  I wonder if it's still aged in oak barrels anymore?

I still love the stuff and fill the trunk of the car when I make it to PA, OH or MI.  Sometimes I order it mail order but that gets pretty pricey...

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2014, 01:27:30 PM »
The wiki says Vernors is aged 3 years now instead of 4. It also says "Vernors ginger ale first entered commerce in 1880, not 1866" according to the 1911 trademark application. It looks like somebody's been lying to us for a long time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernors
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2014, 01:53:50 PM »
Hey Tim, it wasn't "scientific, but I did a little googling and the only barrels I could find for aging any kind of booze were all oak, so yes, if they still age Verner's in a barrel it is probably oak.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk