Author Topic: Picked Up A New Rock Island Armory M-5 Last Week  (Read 11170 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Picked Up A New Rock Island Armory M-5 Last Week
« on: September 26, 2014, 05:14:46 AM »
My Rock Island Armory M-5 arrived last Wednesday, less than a day and a half after I ordered it. The gun comes pretty well soaked in rust inhibiting oil. No doubt applied to insure it's journey from the Philippines, (one of the wettest and most humid places on Earth), would be rust free. The gun is very well built. I chose the Nickel finish, and it seems to be very evenly applied. The action is no different than all of the rest of these guns I've handled in the past, butter smooth and slick as can be. With the gun vertical resting on the recoil pad, a simple press of the bolt release allows the forearm and bolt to drop without any assistance. Lockup is bank vault tight.

I spent about an hour wiping, cleaning and giving it a wash in clean Kerosene, after which I gave it a good blow drying with compressed air, but I've got it ready to go. I went out back just to cycle some ammo through it, and it accepted everything I ran through it. My dealer said he sells a ton of them, and has never gotten one back. One guy called him telling of an ejection problem. He told him to box it up and bring it in, but the guy never brought it back.

I'm anxious to crank this thing up. Being as it's all steel the gun is heavy, (a bit over 7-1/2 pounds empty). I'm not seeing that as a minus because it's not a gun I'll be carrying in the field. It's strictly a range gun and a house self defense weapon. I'm thinking the extra weight will help absorb some recoil when shooting the big Magnum 3" slug and buckshot loads. The design is based on the old High Standard Flight King, with 2 slide bars instead of just one. This gun design was also manufactured under the J.C. Higgins name, as well as by Western Field back in the 60's and early 70's.

One thing I like about this pump gun that you don't see on others, is the fact the barrel screws directly into the receiver, and is not held in place by a retaining cap or nut like most other pump guns are. Some will not like this because it requires a little more effort to clean the weapon. It also does not allow for any magazine extensions to be added. But I feel the added strength and rigidity it provides by having threaded steel screw directly into steel is well worth it.

Pump shotguns are pretty wide open when the action is opened, and because of this are quite easy to clean regardless. I just hold the butt stock high, and using a short bristled paint brush and clean Kerosene, simply wash it out, allowing the dirt and crap to run out the muzzle of the barrel. I then blow it dry with compressed air, run a clean dry patch down the length of the barrel, and relubricate. The gun comes out spotless.

If anyone is looking for a well made, reasonably priced fighting shotgun, give this Rock Island Armory M-5 a good look. You won't be disappointed at the quality for the money. I doubt you could find a better deal on a new combat shotgun anywhere. They also come with a lifetime warranty. Pretty hard deal to beat all the way around.

Ranger Dave

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Re: Picked Up A New Rock Island Armory M-5 Last Week
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 07:23:07 AM »
What no pics????

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 09:18:44 AM »
Did it come from the PI or their US plant ?

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 04:55:36 AM »
Did it come from the PI or their US plant ?

Not 100% sure either way because it say's both "Philippines" and "Pahrump, Nevada" on the receiver. I think the gun itself is machined and manufactured in the Philippines, and perhaps assembled in Nevada. Or else Nevada is the location of the importer. It's hard to tell with these offshore companies.

My guess is some assembly, consumer packaging, and records keeping occurs in Nevada for the guns sold on the U.S. market, much like it does with Glock in Georgia. Stuff like trigger locks and gun safety pamphlets are added for distribution and sales here in the states.

One other feature I forgot to mention on this gun, that is nice to have on a combat shotgun, is that when the slide is forward, and the gun is ready to fire, the shell lifter remains in the up position. This leaves the bottom of the gun open if the shooter wishes to top off the magazine with extra rounds, without having to fumble around trying to press the button on the lifter, then push it out of the way like you have to on a Remington 870 or 1100. The newer models of this gun also come standard with a Speedfeed Stock that holds an extra 2 rounds in the butt of the gun. It also has a heat shield that runs the length of the barrel, out to the end of the magazine tube.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 04:57:20 AM »
What no pics????

I'll try to get some up later next week. I need to get some Lithium batteries for my camera.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:32:10 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 10:33:23 AM »
Some quick pics.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 12:35:44 PM »
Nice, good looking, simple rig. I was looking at them for awhile but got snagged by a mossy 500 in the gun shop. Put a Phoenix stock on it and it's a pleasure to shoot. It's wearing buck and ball jewelery.

I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 08:53:22 AM »
I was so impressed with this gun I ordered another in the Parkerized finish. It should arrive tomorrow. If this gun shows the same workmanship, slick action, and robust overall construction as my Nickel version, I'll be very pleased.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 09:37:58 AM »
Are there any extended mag tubes available for it? You could always use a couple more rounds.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 09:50:54 AM »
Are there any extended mag tubes available for it? You could always use a couple more rounds.

None that I know of.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk