Author Topic: Radio help?  (Read 7754 times)

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • It's just a pen name...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Radio help?
« on: September 24, 2014, 08:41:15 PM »
I found this list of frequencies on SurvivalBlog.com:

34.90: Used nationwide by the National Guard during emergencies.
39.46: Used for inter-department emergency communications by local and state police forces.
47.42: Used across the United States by the Red Cross for relief operations.
52.525: Calling frequency used by ham radio operators in FM on their six-meter band.
121.50: International aeronautical emergency frequency.
138.225: Disaster relief operations channel used by the Federal Emergency Management Agency; it is active during earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, and other catastrophic events.
146.52: Used by ham radio operators for non-repeater communications on the two-meter band; it is very busy in many parts of the country.
151.625: Used by “itinerant” businesses, or those that travel about the country. Circuses, exhibitions, trade shows, and sports teams are some of the users you can hear. Other widely used itinerant channels are 154.57 and 154.60.
154.28: Used for inter-department emergency communications by local fire departments; 154.265 and 154.295 also used.
155.160: Used for inter-department emergency communications by local and state agencies during search and rescue operations.
155.475: Used for inter-department emergency communications by local and state police forces.
156.75: Used internationally for broadcasts of maritime weather alerts. 156.80: International maritime distress, calling, and safety channel. All ships must monitor this frequency while at sea. It is also heavily used on rivers, lakes, etc.
162.40: NOAA weather broadcasts and bulletins.
162.425: NOAA weather broadcasts and bulletins.
162.45: NOAA weather broadcasts and bulletins.
162.475: NOAA weather broadcasts and bulletins.
162.50: NOAA weather broadcasts and bulletins.
162.525: NOAA weather broadcasts and bulletins.
162.55: NOAA weather broadcasts and bulletins.
163.275: NOAA weather broadcasts and bulletins.
163.4875: Used nationwide by the National Guard during emergencies.
163.5125: The national disaster preparedness frequency used jointly by the armed forces.
164.50: National communications channel for the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
168.55: National channel used by civilian agencies of the federal government for communications during emergencies and disasters.
243.00: Used during military aviation emergencies.
259.70: Used by the Space Shuttle during re-entry and landing.
296.80: Used by the Space Shuttle during re-entry and landing.
311.00: Flight channel used by the U.S. Air Force.
317.70: Used by U.S. Coast Guard aviation.
317.80: Used by U.S. Coast Guard aviation.
319.40: Used by the U.S. Air Force.
340.20: Used by U.S. Navy aviators.
409.20: National communications channel for the Interstate Commerce Commission.
409.625: National communications channel for the Department of State.
462.675: Used for emergency communications and traveler assistance in the General Mobile Radio Service.

My question is - what type of device do I need to buy to listen in on them?
Best Wishes, Mike.

dipisc

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Radio help?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 09:19:19 PM »
Hi;

If you are at home - a scanner that is programmed for these freq's will work....get the scanner from Radio Shack or simulair electronics place.

For your laptop  or 'Puter, there is a program to have so that you can scan/listen to radio freq's on the laptop/'puter...Someone into that better than me can hook you up with all of it.

A magazine called 'PopComm  is something you may want to look into - if it is still around...

Lots of "neat" stuff out there - if you have the time to scan and listen....It's been 10 years since for me....

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 09:20:06 PM »
PM Deepwater.  He'll be able to help.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 880
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 09:41:29 PM »
PM Deepwater.  He'll be able to help.

Deepwater is on sandy soil at this time, so he should be easy to reach.

If Deep goes back to sea, Rastus would be another resource.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 07:35:50 AM »
Bic,

What you need is a simple analog VHF/UHF scanner.   Don't be fooled into getting a "trunking" scanner or a digital one.   Yes, most law enforcement has gone that way, but for the frequencies you listed all you need is a simple analog scanner.     If after you gotten your feet wet scanning this simpler frequencies and you want to progress to a higher level of scanning then you can think about the more advanced scanners.

Radio Shack, Fry's, Ham Radio Outlet and Amateur Electronic Supply are a few of the national brick and mortar companies that sell scanners.  Of course they have on-line stores as well.   Here's one on-line dealers that might be of interest.  Not recommending them, just the first one I came to.

http://www.scannermaster.com/Police_Scanner_Radios_s/1.htm

First decision is whether you want you scanner to be a "base" station (120vac) or you intend to mount it in the car and run it off 12Vdc, or whether you want a handheld (battery powered) one to carry around with you.

Uniden, Radio Shack and Whistler are all market basic scanners.  Here's a basic list from the same company.

http://www.scannermaster.com/Uniden_Bearcat_BC355N_Police_Scanner_p/10-501825.htm

All air traffic control comms are sent in the clear (unencrypted) and are fun to listen to.   ATL and other big airports have many frequencies and it's hard to listen to everything.  But smaller airports may only use 1 to 3 frequencies are easy to monitor (as well as USAF bases).    I was in Roanoke listening to the tower one afternoon and heard my flight being diverted because of fog.   I was the first one at the ticket counter to rebook because I had my scanner with me.

True most police and fire are digital, trunking systems, the complexity you probably don't want to tackle with you first scanner.   But here's a little secret about fire departments.  Usually their dispatchers are simulcast (repeated) on an analog frequency for backward compatibility, so your scanner can probably monitor fire dispatch even if the whole county is digital.  You probably won't be able to listen to individual fires as they take place, but dispatch tells you a lot.

Highway patrols, Wildlife Management and Natural Resource (DNR) (think game wardens) tend to still use the VHF analog frequency in rural areas because the super fancy UHF digital isn't reliable away from the population centers.   So there's always possibilities to listen there.   

A number of federal agencies still use single frequency units for operations.  And while they are usually encrypted just the volume of activity tells you something is up.

Maritime went from HF to VHF back in the '70s.   On-line you can find a whole list of frequencies.  156.8 is the primary contact frequency, but there are also ones set aside for bridge tenders, harbor operations and SaR ops.  I always listen to 156.8 (channel 16) when I'm at the beach.

At home, since I live near a country/golf club, I monitor their maintenance frequency.  And many shopping malls have simple analog radios for their ops, maint and security as well.   Many years ago my buddy and I were going to the food court and pulled up just after a shooting had occurred.  We sat in the car and listened to both the police activity (not much) and the mall ops for an hour.   Never got lunch.

Some of the "itinerant" frequencies you mention are part of the GMRS and FRS system.

I have a little spiral bound notebook that list all these frequencies by function so that if I'm somewhere or something happens I have a quick (off-line) reference to them.   

Hope that's enough to get you started in scanning.   I have 3 dedicated base/mobile scanners, plus all my ham radio VHF/UHF transceivers have wide range receiving capabilities.  I take my handheld (walkie-talkie) VHF/UHF radio on all trips and use it as a scanner.

Alf - W4ADS

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:55:09 PM »

deepwater

• SNIPE
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 04:50:38 PM »
someone called?
you can get short wave radios that pick all this up and more. most of those frequencies are under 6 meters. there is much more out there on the lower freqs. I have a Gruendig field radio that picks up most of that stuff and a Sony that picks up even more. you can get a good one for $100 and up. you can also buy an HF radio that can be used to transmit during emergencies without a license, or you can study for a couple of days and take a test to become a Ham and transmit on those at anytime. (the test is free). I also built a shortwave regen set from a kit.
Deep.
YOU CAN TEACH A MONKEY HOW TO RIDE A BICYCLE: BUT YOU CAN'T TEACH HIM HOW TO FIX IT!!

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • It's just a pen name...
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 08:01:02 PM »
Thank you all - great information. We have a Radio Shack in Kerrville and I have a little digital battery powered shortwave ....somewhere?

I would sorta like to listen in on the Sheriff however - sometimes.
Best Wishes, Mike.

deepwater

• SNIPE
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 09:07:41 PM »
local LEOs usually use UHF and sometimes VHF. I have a couple of handheld radios that pick them all up. you can get a baofeng ht for under 40 dollars. dual band (UHF and VHF) with the added benefit of being able to transmit (if you have a license). I will say that my little Sony is an excellent radio and I pick up all kinds of stuff while I'm out at sea. definitely worth the $120 I paid for it.
http://www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/portable/0360.html
this site also has some used stuff for good prices. craigslist sometimes has radios as well.
Deep
YOU CAN TEACH A MONKEY HOW TO RIDE A BICYCLE: BUT YOU CAN'T TEACH HIM HOW TO FIX IT!!

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 11:05:49 AM »
Alf is right about the freqs you listed.  You can get by with less.  However everyone is going digital and analog is hanging on.  You may need to get codes to listen from a buddy working LE to hear everything digital.

If you want to get the latest digital format that it seems they are moving to (APCO 25 Phase II) for LE, etc., then the Uniden BCD536HPDigital Mobile Scanner w/ WiFi is the way to go.  It is supposed to have an app so you can use it remotely with a iPad and has an optional GPS add on that will let it know where it is.  If you have the GPS it will go to the onboard database and let you search within an area around it's location. 

Pretty Kewl....but over $500 it is really pricey.  I would buy direct from Uniden on this one to get the latest firmware, etc. because early versions may have had some hiccups. 

http://udn.factoryoutletstore.com/details/51426-92484/uniden-bcd536hp.html
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

deepwater

• SNIPE
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 11:16:19 AM »
forgot to mention that there are apps for all this as well. you can get a scanner app for free and some of them cover a lot of frequencies and areas. I checked one out last year and hooked TW up with the same. fun listening to your local fuzz.

Deep
KC6HSP

you can also check this out;
http://www.globaltuners.com/home.php

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk