Author Topic: Converting a 686 Plus  (Read 3968 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Converting a 686 Plus
« on: September 16, 2014, 09:42:42 AM »
At ICORE I was very interested in other peoples equipment.   Of course most of the shooters were shooting S&W (except one of the GMs who had a Ruger).  Most Limited shooters were shooting a 627s and using .38SC with moon clips.  Most Classic shooters had 686s in .38Spl with speed loaders.   I had Comp 3 speed loaders but noticed the GM, Roger, was using Comp 2s.  I may have to get some to try.

Anyway, what I really want is a 5"  6 shot 686 Pro Series, which I don't think have every sold.  I have a brand new 7 shot from the auction. Yes, I know I could call the custom shop and order one.  In talking with a nice couple shooting on my squad I mentioned this and he said, "Why not order a six shot cylinder and a new hand and convert your + to a 6 shot?"   DUH!  He had done this for his wife and said it only took a little tweaking by the gun smith.  Evidently a very common thing to do, both ways.    Plus I have a 4" plain of the same engineering mod (-6), maybe I could just swap the parts.

Throwing it out for comments.  Will be consulting my revolver smith this week.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Converting a 686 Plus
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 01:53:51 PM »
Alf.. if you smith hasn't already done this, ask him to run a .357" or .358" plug gauge in the mouth of the chambers... a tight chamber mouth will really mess with accuracy.... especially if you are shooting .38spl in a longer .357 cylinder...

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 04:33:39 PM »
Thanks, Les.  If I have the work done, I'll have him check that.

Will work for ammo

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 01:23:04 AM »
Hi Alf, long time, in just 30 minutes you can answer your questions, swap, trigger/hand assembly, hammer and cylinder assembly,  don't exchange cranes. Afterwards, check function and timing, if good, test fire. Call me if you have questions, my number is still in the Ranger forum. Lew Hortons had a small run of 5" guns a long while back.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 10:00:38 AM »
Thanks, Benny.

I looked at doing that, but decided I'd rather not mess with my regular 686, which I will keep as a backup gun (for competition nor for SD).

And besides if the smith does the work and it lock up in competition, I can blame him.   Transference. ;)

Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:55:08 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 05:09:20 AM »
Got tired of waiting on my revolver smith to call back.

Swapped the cylinders between my 686 4" and my 686+ 5" Pro. And both work like a charm.  Timing seems to be spot on.   LUCKY!   I'm getting a lottery ticket today.     I don't think any timing or adjustment is needed.   I've dry fired them both as fast as I could and they "lock up" solidly every time.  Nothing "feels" out of place or wrong.  "Lock up" being the good lock up not lockup as in freeze.

I now have what I wanted when I bid on these guns in July.  A 686 (6-shot) Pro Series with 5" barrel.   It' ideal for ICORE Classic competition.

Forget the smith.  MidwayUSA has replacement cylinders for $130.   I think I'll order one for my 4" regular so I have it as a backup for IDPA.

I'm off to the range as soon as I can.  Last week being 60hr one, I deserve some time off.

Will work for ammo

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 05:22:39 PM »
Glad you gave it a try 😉 I suspected as much.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 07:08:19 PM »
Glad you gave it a try 😉 I suspected as much.

Good to have you watching over us, Bennie   :D

Take care.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 05:19:55 AM »
The smith called Friday and confirmed that in most cases you just swap out the cylinder.   Offered to order one for me from Brownells.    I think I'll do that myself.   

This is working out well.

Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk