Author Topic: The Growing Police State.  (Read 7119 times)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
The Growing Police State.
« on: September 14, 2014, 02:26:12 PM »
I've said often here that we have a problem with the growing "Us Against Them" attitude and militarization of local police forces.

Here is an article that speaks to the issue in depth.

An Open Letter To My Friends In Law Enforcement

Let me just be blunt: ever since Ronald Reagan left office, both Republican and Democrat presidential administrations--along with both Republican and Democrat congresses--in Washington, D.C., are turning the United States of America into a giant Police State. And that means that our local and State police agencies are being transformed before our very eyes into the enforcement arm of this burgeoning Police State. And one of the biggest reasons for this growing threat to our liberties is that it seems that you--our local and State police officers and sheriff’s deputies--do not understand that you are the ones that are being used to create this nefarious Police State.

http://jpfo.org/articles-assd04/baldwin-open-letter-to-le.htm

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

vincewarde

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Growing Police State.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 12:20:09 AM »
I've said often here that we have a problem with the growing "Us Against Them" attitude and militarization of local police forces.

Here is an article that speaks to the issue in depth.

An Open Letter To My Friends In Law Enforcement

Let me just be blunt: ever since Ronald Reagan left office, both Republican and Democrat presidential administrations--along with both Republican and Democrat congresses--in Washington, D.C., are turning the United States of America into a giant Police State. And that means that our local and State police agencies are being transformed before our very eyes into the enforcement arm of this burgeoning Police State. And one of the biggest reasons for this growing threat to our liberties is that it seems that you--our local and State police officers and sheriff’s deputies--do not understand that you are the ones that are being used to create this nefarious Police State.

http://jpfo.org/articles-assd04/baldwin-open-letter-to-le.htm

Hence the need for - among other things - Oathkeepers.  Anyone who swears an oath to the constitution, something I have effectively done twice, needs to refuse to violate that oath no matter who orders them to do it.

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 06:32:27 AM »
Most of this debate is spurred by the images from Ferguson Mo showing cops in body armor with AR's and armored vehicles.
It is nothing but an attempt to divert attention from the fact that certain segments of society think that supporting a larcenous, stoned, thug is a legitimate reason to burn and pillage, while others like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are ever ready to justify any action that gets them on TV and the so called "President" is OK with all of it.
The fact that the riots continued for a week and eventually required the National Guard suggests that perhaps the police were not militarized enough since it took an actual military force to restore order.
The real issue you should be looking at if you are worried about "police state tactics", are things like "No knock" searches, and forfeiture laws .
Saying that cops "Don't need" military equipment is the same mentality as saying no one "needs" hi capacity magazines.
It is a typical liberal "zero responsibility" mindset that blames the equipment instead of looking at the rules governing its use.
Also, This did not start "since Reagan". It started after WWII with the Army providing vehicles to Fire Depts for forestry use, it spread to Police forces in the 60's in the face of civil rights and anti war rioting, and expended under the so called "War on Drugs".
The problem is not the equipment, it is the legal infringement of our rights and the badge heavy mentality of a certain percentage who would enforce any law no matter how unjust.
Remember, Hitler's Gestapo were originally made of regular German cops.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 07:29:03 AM »
The problem is not the equipment, it is the legal infringement of our rights and the badge heavy mentality of a certain percentage who would enforce any law no matter how unjust.

Bingo, we have a winner!

I would prefer good cops with the proper attitude and mentality of what their jobs consisted of, all armed with M60's and LAWS Rockets, rather than what we had running around with billy clubs in Grant Park during the 1968 Democratic Convention.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 11:41:35 AM »
Most of this debate is spurred by the images from Ferguson Mo showing cops in body armor with AR's and armored vehicles.
It is nothing but an attempt to divert attention from the fact that certain segments of society think that supporting a larcenous, stoned, thug is a legitimate reason to burn and pillage, while others like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are ever ready to justify any action that gets them on TV and the so called "President" is OK with all of it.
The fact that the riots continued for a week and eventually required the National Guard suggests that perhaps the police were not militarized enough since it took an actual military force to restore order.
The real issue you should be looking at if you are worried about "police state tactics", are things like "No knock" searches, and forfeiture laws .
Saying that cops "Don't need" military equipment is the same mentality as saying no one "needs" hi capacity magazines.
It is a typical liberal "zero responsibility" mindset that blames the equipment instead of looking at the rules governing its use.
Also, This did not start "since Reagan". It started after WWII with the Army providing vehicles to Fire Depts for forestry use, it spread to Police forces in the 60's in the face of civil rights and anti war rioting, and expended under the so called "War on Drugs".
Remember, Hitler's Gestapo were originally made of regular German cops.

For me, the images of Boston after the marathon bombing were I watched video of citizens being marched out of their homes with several weapons pointed at them, including those on the SWAT vehicles.  They exited the home with their hands on their heads and some were barefoot, not given the time to dress fully.  All this because of one single fugitive on the loose.

And True, the equipment is not the problem, but it is used to encourage and solidify the "attitude". 

And that Badge Heavy Mentality, it does not matter how large or small a percentage entertain it, but the companions attitude of not calling a brother officer on their illegal behavior.

First I noticed a shifting it attitudes, and that does not mean they did not exist prior, was the first Gulf War....just after Reagan's last term.  There were two occurrences, both of which triggered concerns about police militarization. 

One was that several police officers I had contact with were unusually , in my view. excited about the possibility that their police department might be deployed to support the war.  I assume they would be used to supplement MP companies.  But what struck me was the "Mall Ninja"esk "strutting" and bravado.  My thought was "Warrior Wannabes"

The other, another small item, was the proliferation of  "1*"  (one ass to risk) uniform patches that seemed to be appearing.  While all first responders to put their lives on the line when preforming their duty. it was accompanied with the attitude that their "ass" was more valuable than everyone else's "ass".

Neither of those two points are harmful standing alone, but I watched them grow and blossom into the "Us vs Them" attitude.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:53:56 AM »

Timothy

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 11:52:41 AM »

For me, the images of Boston after the marathon bombing were I watched video of citizens being marched out of their homes with several weapons pointed at them, including those on the SWAT vehicles.  They exited the home with their hands on their heads and some were barefoot, not given the time to dress fully.  All this because of one single fugitive on the loose.

Considering I'm nearly always armed, the issue in Boston was very unsettling!
I doubt very much I would have been treated fairly by anyone that day!

The applause from the community was ever more unsettling... 

brushmore

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 11:59:36 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 12:13:45 PM »

Tim stole my comment here about,"yeah, and they cheered about a military style occupation".
Goes to my oft repeated FaceBook comment,"If you tolerate it, you deserve it." If I recall (iffy at best ) I posted at the time that Star Wars clip about "So this is how liberty dies, to thunderous applous."

And True, the equipment is not the problem, but it is used to encourage and solidify the "attitude". 

And that Badge Heavy Mentality, it does not matter how large or small a percentage entertain it, but the companions attitude of not calling a brother officer on their illegal behavior.

First I noticed a shifting it attitudes, and that does not mean they did not exist prior, was the first Gulf War....just after Reagan's last term.  There were two occurrences, both of which triggered concerns about police militarization. 

One was that several police officers I had contact with were unusually , in my view. excited about the possibility that their police department might be deployed to support the war.  I assume they would be used to supplement MP companies.  But what struck me was the "Mall Ninja"esk "strutting" and bravado.  My thought was "Warrior Wannabes"

The other, another small item, was the proliferation of  "1*"  (one ass to risk) uniform patches that seemed to be appearing.  While all first responders to put their lives on the line when preforming their duty. it was accompanied with the attitude that their "ass" was more valuable than everyone else's "ass".

Neither of those two points are harmful standing alone, but I watched them grow and blossom into the "Us vs Them" attitude.

This reinforces my point, as with pretty much anything except weather, the problem is not the inanimate objects, but the people applying them.

How about militarizing school districts now:

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/a-school-district-bought-an-18-ton-mrap-because-the-wor-1634810604

That's beyond scary militarization, that's just stupid. Should make the auto shop class interesting after it has sat useless for a few years.
Or else God help the truants.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 02:56:01 PM »
How about militarizing school districts now:

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/a-school-district-bought-an-18-ton-mrap-because-the-wor-1634810604

Is that school district also a municipality?  I mean like parishes are in LA, like counties?

If not, that school system also has 10 police cruisers (falling apart) and a Chief of Police and I'd guess more than a dozen officers and some admin staff.
—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

fatbaldguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Friends, don't let friends, shop Wal-Mart
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 05:45:55 PM »
Could what happened in PA possibly be a response to some badge heavy treatment of a citizen?
“It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.”

James Madison

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk