Author Topic: Suggestion for high-speed video use demonstrating recoil  (Read 4602 times)

waddy

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Suggestion for high-speed video use demonstrating recoil
« on: September 01, 2014, 08:48:39 AM »
Doesn't look like this forum gets used much, but I have not been able to figure out how to get a more direct message to Michael, so here goes:

The ultra-high speed photography showing bullets clearly exiting the muzzles of the firearms they are fired from (mostly from Gunsite) appear to me, at least, to show the bullet exiting the muzzle before the firearm shows much if any recoil movement. If that is actually the case, then it calls into question a lot of our present theories regarding what actually happens to the barrel of the firearm during the bullet's travel down the bore. If what I am seeing is actually true and not just a photographic anomaly, then it would make for a very interesting and informative episode showing barrel whip in long barrels, muzzle rise in handguns with heavy loads versus light loads, the effects of resting the barrel on a hard object rather than the forend, and undoubtedly other subjects. I would love to see this explored further with the excellent technological advances in ultra-high speed photography.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Re: Suggestion for high-speed video use demonstrating recoil
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 09:04:18 AM »
Waddy, that's a great idea.   I find that the slow-mo's both from the front and closeup of the action/barrel fascinating. 

I believe I heard somewhere the DRTV crew shoots slo-mo at 12,000/fps.  Trouble is it that's a LOT of data in just a few seconds.  So after a 3 second shoot it takes about 3 minutes to transfer and save the video.  Kinda raises the cost of production shooting as cast and crew stand around for 90%+ of the time.

There are a lot of videos out there that do show some of the effects, but maybe that's a good segment for Shooting Gallery each week.  A segment on, handguns - plastic vs metal frames.  Semi-rifles and bolt rifles.  And even shotguns, though I guess that might be a little boring.  ;)

Heck it would even be fun to see artillery pieces, including battle ships done in slo-mo. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
Re: Suggestion for high-speed video use demonstrating recoil
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 09:39:36 AM »
Waddy, thanks for bringing that up!

I have seen one video a few years ago of a long gun in super slow motion, and I was amazed at the contortions the barrel did.  Don't know how much was actual whip and twist and how much was caused by recording, but I would think it would be great to see.

I also think the super slow mo would be a great tool to add to the wheel of misfortune we consult concerning our errant shots.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk