Author Topic: New LC9s for my wife?  (Read 3940 times)

PapaRoot

• Forum Member
    • Papa and Mama Root
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New LC9s for my wife?
« on: August 26, 2014, 07:36:36 PM »
My wife has arthritis in her hands but loves target shooting.  She uses a Taurus Pt22 and a Ruger SR22, but  wants a larger caliber for everyday carry.  She has used my LC9 (my carry) but the racking, recoil and trigger are a concern.  As a result she has been considering the Ruger LC380...but now the LC9s seems interesting.  Any comparison opinions on 1. racking the slide  2. trigger pull  3. recoil between the LC9s and the LC 380 (as opposed to my LC9)? BTW she also has tried the Beretta Tomcat 32 and likes it. Thanks in advance!

mkm

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: New LC9s for my wife?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 08:10:47 PM »
Quick question/suggestion on racking a slide.

How is she attempting to rack them?

I suggest she takes her weak hand and hold it above her bellybutton at about 90°. Take the strong hand with the pistol and place the slide solidly in her week hand. Have her grip the top of the slide with her whole weak hand. Then, have her push the pistol forward with her strong hand. Once it is all the way forward, release the weak hand. This method works well with my wife, mother, and mother in law.

PapaRoot

• Forum Member
    • Papa and Mama Root
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 08:21:21 PM »
I agree with your suggested technique.  That is pretty much how she does it...but I think it is the combination of all three concerns that is her problem.  She likes the LC380 because it racks easier but hasn't used one yet.  Same with the little Beretta Tomcat (which has the  tip up barrel but a long, gritty pull.  No recoil though lol!)  We have to order either the LC380 or the LC9s without testing them so thus the question.   I appreciate your input.

mkm

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 08:55:03 PM »
You're welcome. I didn't make up that technique; so, I am not surprised she is using it. It is quite effective though.

Unfortunately, I can't really help with your main question. Someone else will chime in though.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 11:38:56 PM »
the striker fired LC9 has a very good trigger... has she looked at the Beretta M86 with the tip up barrel... when working with some ladies with arthritic hands, the problem they encountered was not charging the pistol per se, but trying to safely unload a charged pistol... the tip up barrel was a solution... no slide to rack to either load or unload... down side is a .380 if you prefer a 9x19

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:04:05 AM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 08:39:06 AM »
You can rack the slide on a Glock without having to grip the slide by installing a drop in part that gives you a "bolt knob" to hook with a finger or two or use the edge of your hand, if anyone is interested.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

PapaRoot

• Forum Member
    • Papa and Mama Root
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 10:00:09 PM »
The "Beretta M86 with the tip up barrel" was the 380 version I believe.  Thought it had been discontinued.  Had a chance to research her possible choices in the last few days.  I  would love her to get the LC380 since most folks are saying that it addresses her concerns and is a clone of my LC9 (which I love).  She is leaning towards the Beretta Tomcat because she just likes the tip up barrel (like her little Taurus.)  So maybe I get her the Beretta and myself the 380 and then let her "borrow it."  LOL! ;)  Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.  See you at the range!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk