Author Topic: 2019 Peleliu Island  (Read 4757 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
2019 Peleliu Island
« on: August 23, 2014, 10:33:08 PM »
Just in case any ham radio operators are interested, I'm beginning to plan a dxexpedition (ham radio transmitting trip) for the 75th anniversary of the battle of Peleliu Island.  It'll be something like a 501.c.3 to raise awareness and money to remove unexploded ordnance (UXO), of which there is plenty there.  The ham radio contact during the anniversary is really what I want to be there for to bring the battle to remembrance and, hopefully, to really help the islanders out by raising funds to remove UXO.

The ham radio equipment, generators, a/c, etc. to be acquired and other materials shipped in a couple of months ahead of Sept 2019 and left as a donation to islanders to make the radio contact an annual event to keep the level of awareness up.  The 501.c.3 should take some sting out of taxes.  A planning trip prior to the actual dxexpedition will be necessary.

Lots to do.  Create an organization, get it papered up.  Contact nation of Palau, Peleliu islanders, US Parks service, etc. will be required if it is to get pulled off. 

I have lots of big plans for this if time allows.  It would be great to have multiple ham contacts for contest points by transmitting off a ship as shelling occurred for a time before the landing.  Then on the 75th anniversary of the landing, have the various beaches come online to transmit at the same time of day the landings occurred for a couple of days and then move inland to the museum they have.  If I can find the area with the pond where the final Japanese resistance was fought I'll set up a transmitter there...my dad in on that so that's a driver for me.

I don't know if this will go over with the nation of Palau, the Peleliu islanders or the US Park service...but I intend to begin making contacts this fall.

If anyone is interested keep the date open.

Thanks,
Ken
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 2019 Peleliu Island
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 10:56:53 PM »
Deepwater is a hammy.  He is out at sea now but should be back in about two weeks.  I will try to remember to tell him about it.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 12:47:57 PM »

Bob Allphin, K4UEE, is a friend of mine at work.  He was for a year the lay leader over my department.  We've actually produced on of his DVDs, on the side.   If he's not on your organization list, he should be.   Think Peter Island among other expeditions that he's been a part of.

Best of luck on this one.  Maybe I'll have an HF antenna up by then and can work you.

Alf - W4ADS

Remind me of your call sign.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

dipisc

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 03:07:38 PM »
Hi;

Since this is projected to happen in 2019,  if you were to contact the Marine Corps Museum in Quantico,Va  - they may have some info, POC or suggestions for you.

There may even be an association still in effect of the Veterans of the Battle, they may be of help...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk