Author Topic: Ruger Standard Pistol  (Read 4182 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Ruger Standard Pistol
« on: August 21, 2014, 12:17:48 PM »
I'm like up-to-date in watching Gun Stories.    Yahoo!

I mean, everybody knows the Ruger pistol was a game changer.  Easier and cheaper to make.  Inherently more accurate.     I didn't really know the history of Sturm, but now I do.  And it's a pity he died so young.  What an impact he might have had on the industry.

It was neat to see how the Ruger pistol had a tie to Jim Clark and Clark Custom Guns.  (For those who don't know Jim Clark is Jerry Miculek's father-in-law, Kay's father.)

And welcome Eric Katzenberg, TV Producer, to gun stories.  Another new face.

I own one, btw, a Mark I, 6" with adjustable rear and full undercut front target sights.  A local indoor range was running a series of tin-can, .22lr  shoots in the 1970's.   I shot for 3 weeks with a PPK/s and went home to tell the wife I could win that thing if I had a decent gun.  The next day I drove to a store called "Guns Unlimited" and I bought that Ruger.  With almost no range time on the new gun I won the cash prize fairly easily the next week.   Now my times would be laughed at by today's Shooting Steel and Binachi Cup competitors, but it worked for that match.   The range never had another tin-can shoot, but I still have that gun and hope to take it to a Ruger match some day.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Re: Ruger Standard Pistol
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 07:50:05 AM »
A bit of trivia about Ruger Standard Pistol.   After the '68 GCA was passed manufacturers had to decide what part of the gun was the actual "firearm" part.   What part is the "serialized" part.

Think of the RSP like an AR (just harder to re-assemble).  It has a lower frame, grip assembly, and an upper, with bolt, bolt housing and barrel.   With most firearms, the "lower", or frame grip assembly is considered the legal "firearm".  But for whatever reason, Ruger and the ATF decided the upper, bolt assembly on the RSP would be the firearm.

That's why buying AR uppers isn't regulated, since the lower is the actual "firearm."  But to replace the "upper" and barrel on an RSP requires an FFL transfer.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ruger Standard Pistol
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 09:27:40 AM »
Interesting, Alf.  I never knew that about the RSP.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk